Feathers Have Spoiled Me...

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
I was going to talk about me for a minute, because to be fair, there's precious little of it around these days, what with Stills having a paddy when he doesn't get enough airtime, and Filo getting in a few cents whenever possible.

I have a long history with Feathers. A lot of it bad. Prior to a lot of Blow-ins, er, new members here, I was well known for sporting the one DE. I still do. It's just a different one. I'm the Anti-1966, or is that just 666 for short?

That razor was the 34C. I recommended it far and wide, because I never found anything that shaved as well. Tried a lot - Slims, Techs, Adjustable merkurs, slants etc. All either too mild, too aggressive or just plain crap. The 34c was efficient and I kept coming back to it, so sold the others more or less after the honeymoon periods.

But the 34C could bite and irritate. I had to be careful with Astra, and Feathers turned me into a prickly lobster, even with a light touch. So I went on a meandering search for the ultimate blade. I liked Super Iridium's and PSS; a good edge with no rough ones. I was pretty happy.

Then I bought the 30C about a year ago. Only as a backup because the 34 had 5+ years on it, and didn't fancy just getting another. I thought it would be much the same. It wasn't. It was better. Better than the 34 and every other razor I'd tried. It performs magic tricks; it tames sharp blades without losing their efficiency, and smooths out rougher ones.

So in a random blade trade, I took some Feathers. I expected nothing but bad. And got nothing but good.. After a tentative first shave I was shocked to find I was not only free of any irritation, but I'd had a stupidly good shave with two passes it would have taken 4 passes to get beforehand. The aftershave went on like water. The game was raised. It was a fluke? No, it happened again the next day, and the one after that...

I got cockier, 3, then 4 passes, buffs and polishes. I had a face like peeled egg, and I was only still using aftershave because I like it - and the feedback on the result it gave.

Course, this comes at a price. I'm so closely shaved that it gets hard to repeat it daily, there's so little stubble, and it's at its toughest. That's fine, 2 passes is still great. But other blades are a poor second. Astras are the closest, Personnas are shit, PSS are passable, and Supers are OK.

Once Feathers work, they're the smoothest, sharpest, closest things around. Well worth the small premium. So that's why my SOTD are infrequent. I don't change much. Don't need to, It can't get better. I have largely forsaken the boar, and Pete will fart in my general direction at that. Until I say that the two best brushes I have are made by him. I prefer the badger lather, it just takes a bit less time, and makes a bit more and makes it easier and less messy to add water.

Last edited:
Wow. So the legendary perfect razor + blade combo really does exist!

Thanks for the personal revelation Drubs.
FWIW I have bought a 100 carton via eBay for A$25 delivered. I'm sure 200 or more would be even cheaper again.

@drubs. Totally agree. My life is becoming 38c and feathers or astra and a brush made by Pete.

I am trying to use up blades and am fleeting with the idea of a mass razor and brush sale.

I have even settled down with soaps trying to finish off things I have started before the whole collection goes off.

It's part of my personality. I've never been a hoarder or collector or hobbyist. I spend as much time hobbying as it takes to get what I'm after, then I usually stick with it. I'm probably at the 34C stage with my guitars…

I did same with my audio gear. Where others can't help sinking ever greater amounts of cash into ever smaller upgrades, or unable to resist new bling. I guess it's also the forum personality. Hanging round people with a similar interest keeps people buying stuff. Even when they don't need anything, or already have something better.

No smileys and now the most boring mid-life crisis known to man. I shake my head Drubs :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

Sounds like you should buy a backup 30C incase anything untoward were to happen to the daily driver.

Thanks for the recommendation of the 30C. Does anyone else have both 30 & 34 and chime in?

... just wait till you try the Weber though mate ...

Wow that sounds amazing. What makes the 30C (or any other razor) so much better than another though?

Indeed, the five percent club!

10%, and fucking angry when it comes to trying to buy guitars.

I returned the Tele BTW. I'm not amassing a collection.

Humour, naturally, is in the eye of the beholder :)

5%, 10%, difference is minor to us who form the overwhelming majority, ie right handed folks.
See even as the name suggests, it's just, well... right!

There's on two options for a dominant hand. The right one or the wrong one.

She'll be right, or you're left behind...
Assimilate or else :p