February 2018 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
72DCC6CA-1F91-4E68-BBB5-C3F1A1CF8F86_zpsiiqigsuh.jpg

93AF0B88-A297-4138-ABC6-07983FB70135_zpswcdqtgbi.jpg

One cased British Aristocrat. I wasn't shopping for one of these but I haven't seen too many come up in Australia in this condition so didn't want to miss an opportunity. This is the same pattern number as the Gillette Rocket I recently acquired so does that mean I can expect the shave experience to be identical? @Mark1966 .
Nice Aristocrat and GEMS @Pbgoose

That will happen @pvsampson - thats why its a beginners strop! Don't stress - can always buy a wider and better one when your stropping improves(y)
Everything I have read or vids I have watched regarding beginner stropping said it would happen,but I did not think it would be so early.Adjusted my technique pretty quickly after the 6th incident,(all very small nicks by the way),and will just keep the practise up.
The plan is to acquire a nice 3" English Bridle.

rJm3rNT.jpg

Talk about a good day, I have wanted this for so long and finally got my hands on it for under $200.00

New York by Nicolaï (1989) & a 15ml travel spray of Patchouli intense.

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

To top it all off, my insurer paid out 28K for my car, so Im picking up a 2017 Mazda SP25 in Silver this weekend too :)

That notes for the scent looks amazing, and great to know that the car issue has been easily fixed with the insurance company! :)

Man, that is some elegant packaging. Love to hear your thoughts on them, are they worth the extra money?

The packaging at the rear is for the 60ml EDP.
The soap jars themselves are very nice weighty Black glass.
The soap itself is nothing amazing, it’s not poor, like the vast majority of soaps on the market you’re going to get a great shave if you make the lather correctly.
With this soap your money is going on the scent.
I would not buy these without the EDP, and that’s where it gets expensive.
This market is saturated, wetshaving has evolved. I now prefer to buy from producers who offer me more than just a soap, I want at least a splash and preferably an EDT/EDP.
This modern game is more than a razor and a stick of Palmolive. It’s male grooming, I want to smell great more than I want a smooth face, that’s the easy and frankly boring bit. Is it worth it to me? Yes it is.

rJm3rNT.jpg

Talk about a good day, I have wanted this for so long and finally got my hands on it for under $200.00

New York by Nicolaï (1989) & a 15ml travel spray of Patchouli intense.

1. Top Notes
  2. Heart Notes
  3. Base notes

To top it all off, my insurer paid out 28K for my car, so Im picking up a 2017 Mazda SP25 in Silver this weekend too :)

Someone on a frag group has just posted that Nicolaï are doing a buy 100ml get 30ml free, just thought I’d let you know, just in case you fancied a back up...

Someone on a frag group has just posted that Nicolaï are doing a buy 100ml get 30ml free, just thought I’d let you know, just in case you fancied a back up...

It's down to batches with the New York, also most of what they offer is New York Intense which is a different frag altogether :)

I found a nice Pullman Tasmanian Oak tamper today
Very nice .I've got a Pullman tamper, made to fit my VST basket. Handle isn't as sexy as that one though, just the dark brown timber.

Just stocked up on some of my favs that are nearly done and dusted.
40313061901_34277bed82_c.jpg

Also got this, possibly earlier this month, possibly late last month... Parker Variant. It's great.
25441784297_0c610356d6_c.jpg

So did YOU get that Parker while I was thinking whether I should or not?

So did YOU get that Parker while I was thinking whether I should or not?

Not sure what you're talking about, so I assume the answer is no. I bought this new online.

Not sure what you're talking about, so I assume the answer is no. I bought this new online.

Ahh, no worries. There was one on eBay recently I pondered then it went. I got another later to try.

VuDcGUJl.jpg

Dispite a swill of QC issues I belive I can make this acceptable.
I actually emailed the manufacturer and they basically said lol QC is your problem but that’s 3/3 I’ve been disappointed with CRKT but how beautiful is the blade shape

VuDcGUJl.jpg

Dispite a swill of QC issues I belive I can make this acceptable.
I actually emailed the manufacturer and they basically said lol QC is your problem but that’s 3/3 I’ve been disappointed with CRKT but how beautiful is the blade shape

I prefer a pointy tip I use this Sanrenmu for opening boxes at work, it's a decent knife with a ball bearing pivot and Sandvik steel.

I prefer a pointy tip I use this Sanrenmu for opening boxes at work, it's a decent knife with a ball bearing pivot and Sandvik steel.
Me too typically, unfortunately I had to try a razel shape and CRKT is the only option under $500us.
This guy weighs a ton, the blade steel is 8cr13mov, the blade is on Teflon washers, the edges of the handle are sharp, the blade not so much and CRKT as a brand lacks customer service.
But... when I decide to pull out my pocket lathe and spin up a nice wooden bowl, my pocket chisel will excel I’m sure...

I’m waiting on some other blades which I’m much more excited about.
The only reason I haven’t picked up a sanrenmu is that they tend to be a bit copyright infringementie, that said some brands like Benchmade with the axis lock the cost to get one to see if you even like that style is quite high ($150+) and by all reports the senrenmu equivalents are a great representation of what to expect, I just haven’t found one that I had to smash the buy button on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.