G'day from SA

2DIE

Hello all.

I recently got a shaving mug for Christmas which got me interested in shaving properly again as most of the time I just trim with clippers every week or 2.

Today I bought a Moose Head brush from Coles and a bar of Dove soap and I'm pretty impressed with how it lathered up.

I still use a Mach3 as it's just what I'm comfortable with for now.

I don't plan to get into shaving big time and spend mega bucks but I'll sooner or later buy some proper shaving soap and may consider other razors.

Thanks for having me and I hope to learn a lot from browsing these forums.

Welcome to P&C @2DIE - I'm sure you are going to have a great time here.

Hope you come to one of our Adelaide meet-ups - the next one is on Sunday, Feb.5 at 2pm

G'Day and welcome to the fold - IIRC Coles has Palmolive shave stick for a couple of bucks and 'shave' cream (in a tube) for about $3 if you want to go a bit more 'traditional'

Welcome @2DIE! I think they're the famous last words uttered in most welcome threads (save money or not spend much, which some here do manage).

Would certainly suggest to get along to the Adelaide meet. Be a great chance to see and try out some different stuff with some great blokes, and @alfredus lol :)

Welcome to the forum @2DIE, we all would be glad to help you enjoy your shaving experience. Feel free to ask around for any hints and tips, especially if you are thinking about expanding your shaving kit and making a real wet lather :)

Dove? Do your face a favour and get some actual real shaving cream, even the tubes of stuff at Coles will be better than bathroom soap.

Regular soap can't lather for shaving, and it's not meant to. Not only that it dries the skin out badly.

Welcome @2DIE !

I think what Drubs is trying to suggest, in his crotchy and direct kinda way, is that while you will get a form of lather from the Dove soap a soap formulated for shaving will give a much better lather again.

There are some reviews around the place of guys using the Dove 'Beauty Bar' soaps as a shaving soap and it is better than most bar soap but doesn't give the glide and protection of a shaving soap. There are a couple of soap makers around here who can give you all the details why - there may even be one at the Adelaide meet up!

Getting a good lather and improving your technique will help no matter what razor you use. I used to have a twin blade cartridge I used and lathered with bar soap for many years. I look back now with horror but it 'worked' at the time. Nowadays when I have to use a cart I find I get a much better result using them now I know my face and hair growth patterns better, have a better shaving technique and better lather.

Jumping from a Mach-3 to a DE is not as hard as you might imagine BTW. If you want to take the plunge there will be plenty of cheap options we can suggest and people who can help with kit.

Happy shaving mate!

Welcome aboard @2DIE !

It is definitely worth spending little bit on a decent shaving soap - I think the lather is the most important part of the shave - and you need a shaving soap for that (not a body soap) There are some great soaps around for very low prices. Check out The Stray Whisker thestraywhisker.com.au - Con is a good guy based in Lithgow and has an Aussie Day sale on with good prices !!

Welcome mate. Nice to see another from SA. I'd also recommend coming along to one of the Adelaide meets if you can. Friendly bunch of blokes who are happy to chat and sort you out with some gear to try if you want.

Absolutely agree with @boldsworth - please let us know if you come - I'm sure between our regulars we can put together something to get you started ;)