G'day from SA

Thanks again everyone.

Is there any budget round shaving soaps in Australia? I see in the US they have popular ones in shops for $2 but the cheapest ones I have found in Aus are about $16+

Also I would be interested in a DE razor but I'm not that keen if I have to learn how to use one without cutting myself. Also I'm not looking to spend much either so it may be better to not use a DE for shaving if it's a cheap one?

I won't be able to make it to the next Adelaide meet (its about a 160km round trip) but I'll try to keep it in mind for the future as I end up in Adelaide about once a month or so and could probably hit 2 birds with one stone next time I have to go.

Thanks again everyone.

Is there any budget round shaving soaps in Australia? I see in the US they have popular ones in shops for $2 but the cheapest ones I have found in Aus are about $16+

Also I would be interested in a DE razor but I'm not that keen if I have to learn how to use one without cutting myself. Also I'm not looking to spend much either so it may be better to not use a DE for shaving if it's a cheap one?

I won't be able to make it to the next Adelaide meet (its about a 160km round trip) but I'll try to keep it in mind for the future as I end up in Adelaide about once a month or so and could probably hit 2 birds with one stone next time I have to go.

How many carts do you go through a month and how much is each cart?

How many carts do you go through a month and how much is each cart?
Zero pretty much, last time I shaved with a razor before the last 2 days was back in April. From memory I got 16 Mach3 Turbo refills for $20 from Amazon and I'm still using the first blade, usually they are something like $16 for 4 locally.

So I'm not sure what the long term cost would be if I shaved every day.

For a safety razor, you can get 100 voskhod/rapira chrome/astra green (razor blade inserts) for $11-14 AUD delivered, which last around 3-6 shaves depending on your stubble. The razor itself, you can buy a good razor (merkur 34c or edwin jager de89) for $40-60 delivered, and will last years if cared for. So you can shave for a whole year on $15-20 if we remove brush and soap (which are consistent between cart and double edge, and should be using a good soap/brush anyway as it's the cheapest way to a better shave with either cart or safety razor).

For a soap, let's say $20/125g, you should get about 90-100 shaves (unless you load like some of the people here :), average per shave for a normal person is around 1.2g from what I've seen), which would work out to around $1.40/week for a great shaving soap. You can pick up a great synthetic for $30-40 AUD delivered, which again will last years. So, for the price of a can of coke a week (or other vice), you can have much more enjoyable shaves, turning something monotonous into something fun.

*caveat - as with anything on this forum, it's entirely dsdf (different strokes for different folks). This is merely my experience and thoughts :)

Great summary from @Korbz !

I agree with @Korbz that the most important argument is turning a chore into something enjoyable you are actually looking forward to.

This IMO is absolutely priceless...

Thanks again everyone.

DE shaving products can be real cheap. But not THAT cheap. $2 buys you shit, and surely that would be expected? $16 for a shave soap is average and not extortionate, especially given how long it lasts. Some creams like Spieck are $10 a tube and are as good as anything premium or artisan or whatever label goes on to stuff with a massive price tag.

Use carts if you like, but the biggest saving is made when ditching them. They really are crap products. Most men never try anything different and never find out how poor they are.