G'day from WA!

GregP

Hi folks!
I started shaving with a rusty old DE as a teen, and then went to a 'better' disposable razor because it was easier.

After coming across discussions about DE shaving on other forums, and watching a number of videos I've decided to go back to proper shaving after all these years. I never got taught how to shave properly as a kid, but after seeing the proper techniques I found that even with a crappy brush and a disposable twin blade razor you can get a much better shave with the better technique.

Still practising and have a lot of bad habits to unlearn, but just ordered my beginners DE kit and waiting sort-of patiently for it to arrive so I can join you enlightened folks in practising the proper Art of Shaving :)

Cheers, Greg.

Welcome Greg!

You can certainly get a decent shave with better technique and lathering - sounds like you are headed in the right direction!

What is in the kit you ordered?

Check out the welcome thread too with some info on getting to know the forum :)

Hi Greg and welcome to Paste & Cut.

Nice to hear that you're giving DE's another go. Sounds like you have it under control.

You can certainly get a decent shave with better technique and lathering - sounds like you are headed in the right direction!

What is in the kit you ordered?

I've got these on order from Shaver Hut:

Proraso Shaving Soap (green)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger (includes a shaving cream)
Edwin Jagger DE86
And a sampler pack of blades

Welcome to the Aussie Wet Shaving Club brother ;)

Please don't forget to tryout the Shaver Heaven Shaving Soaps because these are 100% Aussie made soaps made by @Anthony see web link and help support our Aussie locals (y) Fantastic price much cheaper than oversea made shaving soaps and this will save you lots of money in the long term future.

Shaver Heaven: http://shaverheaven.com.au/

Cheers(y);)

Last edited:
I've got these on order from Shaver Hut:

Proraso Shaving Soap (green)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger (includes a shaving cream)
Edwin Jagger DE86
And a sampler pack of blades

Nice :)

Put one of these on your list too;
Tanifuji.JPG

Great wealth of info here and I don't think I have found a better bunch of blokes. Welcome.

Welcome @GregP - seems like you are off to a great start - I hope you will enjoy your new shaves!

Put one of these on your list too;

Great wealth of info here and I don't think I have found a better bunch of blokes. Welcome.

Thanks @Sxot for the welcome, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try a cutthroat anytime soon! I imagine there's a bit more work learning how to use it, sharpen it etc. too

Hello and welcome back to using a DE again @GregP

Do tell how you get on with your first kit! We'd love for you to report back (here or on SOTD) about your re-learning the skills & technique once again.

Do tell how you get on with your first kit! We'd love for you to report back (here or on SOTD) about your re-learning the skills & technique once again.

Well, the kit arrived today! I thought it would be the end of the week, but they even sent it express post which I wasn't expecting.

Cleaned the brush, only lost 3 or 4 hairs. Not really much odour, and none I can notice after a quick wash with dish soap and a quick practice lather with ye olde Fauldings Shave cream.

Christened the razor using a Derby blade and the Proraso soap.

First pass I think my lather was a touch dry but got through OK. Trying to get the blade angle right but missed a few bits.

Second pass went better, but then I got excited and ended up making a blood offering to the Razor Gods with a little slice on the top lip Stemmed the bleeding and did a cleanup pass.

Overall a good shave, but definitely need to work on the blade angle and improving the technique. But, for the first run with a DE in *mumble* years, quite happy.

Thanks @Sxot for the welcome, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try a cutthroat anytime soon! I imagine there's a bit more work learning how to use it, sharpen it etc. too

Yeah that's what I was saying 5 weeks ago. Get a few weeks under your belt with the DE and then when you're in full swing we will see. ;)

Sharpening is once every three months or so and I leave that up to the experts - cheap too. All you need to so is run it on a strop before each shave while your brush is soaking/soap is blooming/scuttle is warming etc.

Durby is a rather dull blade. Not a bad place to start but after a few shaves with it, give the Astra a run. Much keener and smoother IMHO.

Durby is a rather dull blade. Not a bad place to start but after a few shaves with it, give the Astra a run. Much keener and smoother IMHO.

It may be dull but it had a nibble on my lip ;)
I'll give it a few shaves while I work on technique, then try the Astra. Thanks for the advice!

Dull for a razor blade is still VERY sharp! I'd keep using the same blade until you find it starts to pull and feel uncomfortable - typically 3-5 shaves and then bin it. In all honesty it depends on the razor too. A duller blade in a conservative razor won't take enough stubble off, where as the same blade in an aggressive (large gap between the blade and the safety bar under) razor can work very well. This and so much more you will discover. The Astra is a high medium when it comes to blade sharpness.