G'day from WA!

So, second shave went better. Took it nice and slow but not surprisingly I did reopen the war wound from round 1. Some parts I'm doing perfectly, some parts around the neck are taking a lot of work. Not up to BBS standard yet :)

Just a tiny bit disappointed with the Proraso - lathers like a rabid dog, but the fragrance isn't as strong as I had hoped. The eucalyptus is very faint but I can feel the menthol. Certainly works well, but I'm sorely tempted to add a few drop of eucalyptus to the pot when it wears down a bit.

@Sxot I understand the "dull" blade now on the second run - could hear it scraping, but it wasn't really cutting the whiskers well and it was dragging a bit. I have my father to thank for whiskers of fine steel though. I think round 3 will be with the Astra.

Glad to here it is going well. Give yourself some time to learn the good habits and don't rush. It is a very different technique than disposables or carts generally. Much gentler and more refined. I would not be worried too much about the BBS standard - just aim for a DFS and after a while a BBS will find you (to quote a wise man here).

Using a DE does teach you about the direction of your beard growth - which can be variable. So you will get patches that go well and others no so - over time that will be addressed.

The Proraso is a fairly subtle scent - but it does hang around and if you rub your face during the day you will often get subtle hints. Of course you may want to add some eucalyptus to gain more scent - but be careful that you don't add more and get irritation from it.

Now, about those blades that they gave you, from you picture it seems the sampler had:
  • Derby - cheap and not hugely popular
  • Astra SS - cheap and not as popular or common as the Super Platinum version
  • Asco - cheap and not a common choice
  • Shark - cheap and has some fans (I'm one of them) as a budget blade
  • Wilkinson - vintage ones are great, current production no so much
So you might draw some conclusions about the quality of popularity of what you have been given.

I would suggest that you either stick with the Derby until you only have one left and then change OR change to the Astra (my pick of what you have) use then until you only have one left and then try some of the others? The aim is to minimise the variables while you work on technique. Even with a coarse/hard beard you should get 3-4 shaves out of most blades.

Anyway - happy shaving!

Or get onto @Lifes a Peach and ask nicely for a sample pack of more popular blades from the blade bank.

I started on Prorasso Red and never really liked it. I found it to be an ok performer, but there are soaps that are leaps and bounds ahead in my experience.

I've got these on order from Shaver Hut:

Proraso Shaving Soap (green)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger (includes a shaving cream)
Edwin Jagger DE86
And a sampler pack of blades
Thats a good start Greg, your local Shaver Shop should do quite a lot of Proraso, the Proraso Sandalwood is a good intro in that kind of scent. Also try the Proraso Green aftershave, invigorating.