Geeky Goodness. The HP N40L Microserver thread.

Yep, one of mine is chugging away as a Xpenology box (special boot file to run Synology NAS operating system), and the other is idle but about to come back as file storage.

Great little boxes but alas the CPU on them is really underpowered these days. Considering getting a newer model with some reasonable grunt, and moving my storage to a real NAS device.

Wow I did not even know this thread existed!
Although not related to HP Microservers I currently run a FreeNAS box and an ESXi whitebox at home

FreeNAS box consists of an Intel Entry Level server grade motherboard with an i3 4170 CPU and 16GB of ECC RAM I have 6 2TB drives running in RAIDZ-2 (Equivalent to RAID6) and I also have a 64GB SSD running as a SLOG drive (really helps with iSCSI link speeds to the ESXi box)

The ESXi whitebox is for mucking around and study primarily. Currently running an AMD 3.5GHz 8 core CPU (I can;t remember the part # of the to of my head) with 32GB of RAM and 1 1TB HDD and 240GB SSD. Also running an NFS and iSCSI share of the NAS.

Nice little setup and I a quite happy with it :)

Mines happily chugging away as a windows 7 download / nas/ Plex server & home theatre. Struggles to play HD stuff with Plex so considering going back to kodi as that can use the processing power of the cheap video card I added.

The issue with Plex is that it need some CPU for transcoding, and the Microservers are fairly underpowered. The Nen8 is okay if you replace the G series Pentium with one of the E3's.

Plex is starting to become problematic also, especially the syncing to mobile devices without a Plex Pass basically kills it for me. As such, I am looking at moving to Emby once the Samsung TV has a reasonable app I can install directly on it.

One other thing is that the TV is starting to struggle to play certain media now, some of the 6Mbps encodes certainly have issues across the network. Don't particularly want to go to a Media Player for it if I can help it.

The issue with Plex is that it need some CPU for transcoding, and the Microservers are fairly underpowered. The Nen8 is okay if you replace the G series Pentium with one of the E3's.

Plex is starting to become problematic also, especially the syncing to mobile devices without a Plex Pass basically kills it for me. As such, I am looking at moving to Emby once the Samsung TV has a reasonable app I can install directly on it.

One other thing is that the TV is starting to struggle to play certain media now, some of the 6Mbps encodes certainly have issues across the network. Don't particularly want to go to a Media Player for it if I can help it.
Yeah that's one of the reasons that I used a CPU that was higher spec than I needed.

Reckon it's time to replace the N40L - what are you guys using now?

I'm running FreeNAS, but also want to run Plex comfortably to 2-3 machines at a time. Have been looking at the cheap Xeon 2670's for sale, but motherboards are scarce and expensive. Only need a CPU/mobo to go the full blown server (assuming DDR3 ECC compatible), but I don't know dick about server gear.

I was running Open Media Server on an old box with debian for a number of years until it got too old to continue.

Bought a QNAP 453a, Decked it out with 24TB (r5/18tb) HTPC owner here, running Ubuntu Server. Does the media well, real well. I'm running Kodi on it which suits me just fine.