Gillette Fatboy....

Yes. I will take a picture tomorrow and upload it when I get the chance. Forgive me but I just got home after a very long day at the doctor. I'm not feeling too good though I'm happy I'm new here. Hope you understand ;)
All good, Mate.
We're here to help and support. :)

I recently cleaned up two Gillette Slims that were in a terrible state. I was very surprised how much improvement I got with the following:
  1. Put the Fatboy in a suitable container (dish or pot)
  2. Boil water in a kettle and then pour over the Fatboy until it is covered. (Don't do this with any razor that has plastic parts!)
  3. Squeeze a generous amount of dish soap over it.
  4. Let it soak until the water has cooled.
  5. Thoroughly scrub that sucker with an old toothbrush. Occasionally rinsing in the original water.
  6. Repeat step #5 using some standard white-toothpaste.
This should get 95% of gunk off that bad-boy. If the marks persist, we will need to discuss bringing in the big guns.

I hope this helps.

All good, Mate.
We're here to help and support. :)

I recently cleaned up two Gillette Slims that were in a terrible state. I was very surprised how much improvement I got with the following:
  1. Put the Fatboy in a suitable container (dish or pot)
  2. Boil water in a kettle and then pour over the Fatboy until it is covered. (Don't do this with any razor that has plastic parts!)
  3. Squeeze a generous amount of dish soap over it.
  4. Let it soak until the water has cooled.
  5. Thoroughly scrub that sucker with an old toothbrush. Occasionally rinsing in the original water.
  6. Repeat step #5 using some standard white-toothpaste.
This should get 95% of gunk off that bad-boy. If the marks persist, we will need to discuss bringing in the big guns.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. I will try this soon. I will put up a picture of my Fatboy tomorrow ;)

From where I am it is now morning here in the country of red white and blue. I just remembered that my account is limited and I sadly cannot upload pictures as of right now :(

Last edited:
From where I am it is now morning here in the country of red white and blue. I just remembered that my account is limited and I sadly cannot upload pictures as of right now :(
If you can upload it to imgur, we should be able to sort it out.
But no rush... Get some sleep. :)

Unless you pull a FatBoy apart your just skimming over the surface the insides really hang on to the gunk from years of use some can be quite putrid I know as I have puled apart to many to remember in time gone by. Soak soak the shit out of it but it won't ultimately get it free of bacteria and someone else skin from scraping it over there face from years gone by. Put it this way unless you were stranded on an island without choice would you use someone else toothbrush !!!!

Unless you pull a FatBoy apart your just skimming over the surface the insides really hang on to the gunk from years of use some can be quite putrid I know as I have puled apart to many to remember in time gone by. Soak soak the shit out of it but it won't ultimately get it free of bacteria and someone else skin from scraping it over there face from years gone by. Put it this way unless you were stranded on an island without choice would you use someone else toothbrush !!!!
This is true and correct.

Lotsa gross in there in yucky examples

F@#&ing oath one time when I pulled one apart it had me reaching.... I sure as hell wouldn't use a FatBoy or Slim or any adjustable without pulling it apart properly
I pulled one down where the inner barrel was so full of crap there was only enough room for the central rod to pass through..

I actually needed to resort to power tools to clear it out

That would be entirely dependant on the type of bacterium present as some are very hardy,especially those that spore.Technically,one bacterium can live,through the process of division,for millions of years as the latest/last division is exactly the same as the initial.Most cannot survive above 120 F.They cannot reproduce,that is divide, from 102 F and above and this is why your body develops a fever temperature when it has a bacterial infection. Heating to a minimum of 165 degrees Farenheit is recommended to kill bacteria,hence the cooking instructions on products.
Steam treatment is the most effective known method of destroying bacteria and other pathogens.That is why hospitals,and tattooists, must have an autoclave.Or boil the crap out of it,literally.

That would be entirely dependant on the type of bacterium present as some are very hardy,especially those that spore.Technically,one bacterium can live,through the process of division,for millions of years as the latest/last division is exactly the same as the initial.Most cannot survive above 120 F.They cannot reproduce,that is divide, from 102 F and above and this is why your body develops a fever temperature when it has a bacterial infection. Heating to a minimum of 165 degrees Farenheit is recommended to kill bacteria,hence the cooking instructions on products.
Steam treatment is the most effective known method of destroying bacteria and other pathogens.That is why hospitals,and tattooists, must have an autoclave.Or boil the crap out of it,literally.
If I wasn't to boil the fuck out of it then I use a blow torch but seriously pull it apart or get someone to do it for you Hint @Ferret619 a job for you ;)

Haha I don’t bother anymore- it’s not worth my time at this point and I don’t take on work

I was actually going to ask about this... What is the best way to pull a Slim apart?
I assume it has something to do with the under the base of the handle?
Does it involve hammering and then re-crimping? I wasn't willing to just take a punt.

I was actually going to ask about this... What is the best way to pull a Slim apart?
I assume it has something to do with the under the base of the handle?
Does it involve hammering and then re-crimping? I wasn't willing to just take a punt.
Yes indeed, they for the most part are press fit so soft blocks of wood, and appropriately sized holes are your friends.
You must also be cautious to not over tighten as they are still just brass after all.
I had a slim I loved as I left the gap just a hair wider than normal and it was great for me as I actually could use settings 1 and 2.