Good synthetic brush

Ginge

hi all
Just converted the chief officer on board to wet shaving he has just ordered an
Icon DLS OSS razor
Being a Vegan he was looking for a good synthetic brush any advise great fully excepted
Cheers

Nearly everyone that has touched it seems to love the one @Lifes a Peach mentioned.
@alfredus seems to like the body shop offering, and @Drubbing says the muhle variant is good too.
On eBay there is FS (Frank Shaving), and I'm sure whipped dog etc offer vegan friendly brushes too.
I think I even saw a synthetic chubby somewhere too.

Never really come to terms with synthetic brushes. While acceptable they don't hold water and warmth like the real thing.
Does your CO's version of vegan'ism preclude him from using animal products at all or just from those that died in the process.

I am led to believe that horse hair brushes do not involve harming of the horses. The manes and or tails are trimmed.

Horse hair brushes are much nicer than synthetic in my view.

Hand up here for the STF2 over the Plisson. I found the Muhle variant (23mm STF2 (Silver Tip Fibre v.2) knot) - the Aesop - had less flop and better control of the lather. It also most closely resembles how natural hair works compared to the wackiness of the floppy Plisson. But most importnatly if your Chief Officer is a vegan, he'd be a man of ethics, so I'd definitely go the Aesop/Muhle....I'm sure he'd hate to know he is lathering his face with a brush made by those who blew up the Rainbow Warrior.

Last edited:
I am led to believe that horse hair brushes do not involve harming of the horses. The manes and or tails are trimmed.
[/ethical rant]
I've heard this too, but I think (no I am entirely convinced ) that it is complete bollocks. I'm sure 'some' hair comes/came from grooming, but looking at the sheer volume of horse hair brushes Vie Long produces, that's A 'KING LOT of hair. As someone who is around horses everyday I can tell you how much hair you get from a horse when grooming and I cannot conceive of how Vie Long makes the rounds to enough horse owners to collect that amount of grooming excesses - curiously I've never seen an ad from them asking horse owners for their grooming excess - they'd have to have thousands on their books. Though any single country - Australia being well up there - slaughters a shit ton of horses each day so there'd be a lot of hair going to waste and going cheap. I suppose it's good to know it's being used.

Great marketing on Vie Long's behalf though, as anyone turned off by the idea of badger or boar sees horse as an ethical alternative. Hmmm....naivety can be good, let them eat pie (or lasagne if in the UK)!
[/ethical rant]

Cheers all just passed on all your info to him he much appreciates the help he now checking out reviews online
Yeah he is a full on vegan so animal products are out
Bloody makes it hard cooking for him lol
I also passed on all sites for gear he may use like iherbs etc
Cheers

@alfredus seems to like the body shop offering
When did I say that? I played around with it in the shop and it was very scritchy - not to my liking at all...

I would recommend the Whipped Dog - because he has different knot diameters and you can set the height of the loft. 32US$ delivered to Australia and Larry is a super nice guy, that will help you determine the best loft height for you. Also the handle is way nicer than the L'occitane Cade. Or you can order directly from Plisson - cost also ~50AU$, but you get it in a much nicer handle than the L'occitane Cade.

[/ethical rant]
I've heard this too, but I think (no I am entirely convinced ) that it is complete bollocks. I'm sure 'some' hair comes/came from grooming, but looking at the sheer volume of horse hair brushes Vie Long produces, that's A 'KING LOT of hair. As someone who is around horses everyday I can tell you how much hair you get from a horse when grooming and I cannot conceive of how Vie Long makes the rounds to enough horse owners to collect that amount of grooming excesses - curiously I've never seen an ad from them asking horse owners for their grooming excess - they'd have to have thousands on their books. Though any single country - Australia being well up there - slaughters a shit ton of horses each day so there'd be a lot of hair going to waste and going cheap. I suppose it's good to know it's being used.

Great marketing on Vie Long's behalf though, as anyone turned off by the idea of badger or boar sees horse as an ethical alternative. Hmmm....naivety can be good, let them eat pie (or lasagne if in the UK)!
[/ethical rant]

I'm with you on that one. A fact that nobody seems to realise is that the hair has to be collected as it comes off the animal. In other words with the natural end on one side and the cut end at the other because that is how it's set in a good brush. Not only would you have to collect every groomed hair coming off hundreds/thousands of horses, in order to have some sort of quality control you'd also have to instruct every groomsman on how to collect it properly. Seems a bit fanciful to me. On the other hand they're certainly not killed for their hair but neither are pigs. The only animals that are, at least to a significant degree, are the poor badgers. However, maybe there are badger burgers in the high white mountains of China.

When did I say that? I played around with it in the shop and it was very scritchy - not to my liking at all...

I would recommend the Whipped Dog - because he has different knot diameters and you can set the height of the loft. 32US$ delivered to Australia and Larry is a super nice guy, that will help you determine the best loft height for you. Also the handle is way nicer than the L'occitane Cade. Or you can order directly from Plisson - cost also ~50AU$, but you get it in a much nicer handle than the L'occitane Cade.
Sorry, must have got the names confused with someone else.

There's the Fine Sythetic 'Angel Hair' brush - I have two enroute from the US. Cost is about $40 ea delivered for two. Any more and the price of shipping goes right up.

If there is enough interest in them, I would try and get a group buy happening so we could amortise the cost of shipping as you can get about 10-20 brushes for a reasonable per-brush price.

Last edited:
There's the Fine Sythetic 'Angel Hair' brush - I have two enroute from the US. Cost is about $40 ea delivered for two. Any more and the price of shipping goes right up.

If there is enough interest in them, I would try and get a group buy happening so we could amortise the cost of shipping as you can get about 10-20 brushes from the same price.
Link RM?

I'm with you on that one. A fact that nobody seems to realise is that the hair has to be collected as it comes off the animal. In other words with the natural end on one side and the cut end at the other because that is how it's set in a good brush. Not only would you have to collect every groomed hair coming off hundreds/thousands of horses, in order to have some sort of quality control you'd also have to instruct every groomsman on how to collect it properly. Seems a bit fanciful to me. On the other hand they're certainly not killed for their hair but neither are pigs. The only animals that are, at least to a significant degree, are the poor badgers. However, maybe there are badger burgers in the high white mountains of China.

Sounds delicious - you get a couple of HM knots and while you wait for them to be tied to your specs they feed you yummy HM burgers :D :D :D

After much studying he went for the
Plisson I'm sure the 50% off did the trick and said to pass on his thanks to everyone for there help
Cheers
Good to have the boss happy. That French face tickler will work wonders.