Haslinger's?

SmallYetDeadly

Brotherhood of Fanbois
Haslinger.jpg

Anybody tried this one? I have read it's MWF without the finickiness...

Anybody have a line on where to get it? I will have a spare bowl after I get rid of that p.160 :)

View attachment 697

Anybody have a line on where to get it? I will have a spare bowl after I get rid of that p.160 :)
Gifts and Care have it. It's an artisan soap made by an Austrian family.
I've got the Honig (Honey version) heading my way. :whistle:

Never tried the fat. Maybe one day when I don't have a hundred already opened soaps/creams at my disposal.

I've had the Sheep's Milk and Seaweed ones for a fair while (via G&C). They're good soaps, very easy to lather, pretty good cushion/lather etc - nice on the skin....but I don't think they're anything overly spesh. Absolutely a step up from Arko, Proraso and a few of the other 'basic' soaps but I don't think it's quite as good as MWF (which I have as well).

Cheers for the input guys.

A Kent through the seconds shop is probably the go then. I don't find it overly difficult to deal with either.

G&C postage is a bit of a killer unfortunately.

I purchased this from eBay.
It didn't arrive sadly.
I was looking forward to reviewing it, as it has quite a positive reputation in Europe.
Will satisfy my curiosity and try my luck with auspost roulette in the future.

View attachment 697

Uncanny, I added this exact puck to my G&C order on a whim, that left sunny Valencia yesterday. Looks more a cold weather cake but super keen to give it a go. So how is it SyD?

Swap you halves for some P160? [emoji106]

I have promised the P.160 to Borked...

I purchased this from eBay.
It didn't arrive sadly.
I was looking forward to reviewing it, as it has quite a positive reputation in Europe.
Will satisfy my curiosity and try my luck with auspost roulette in the future.

But as he is looking to try it. I'll send you half the P.160 and you can send half your Haslingers puck to Borked and half to me.

Deal? :whistle:

I have promised the P.160 to Borked...

But as he is looking to try it. I'll send you half the P.160 and you can send half your Haslingers puck to Borked and half to me.

Deal? :whistle:
I'll mull it over during the break mate. Won't pick up the package until early Nov. [emoji51]

@stillshunter I was considering hoarding the P160 in exchange for something else from said box, yet considering you're curious and there are other items I'm yet to try, I'll contemplate leaving it for you :)
BTW, were you (and @Mark1966) interested in trying some menthol crystals ?
If yes, I will seek something to send a sample for you to take some from and leave the rest for @Mark1966

The Haslingers does come highly recommended from some German wet shavers and once I've culled down a few more items, I will attempt to purchase it again...

Be keen to try the P160 but I only have a smallish face so don't need much to warrant the sample

Maybe I could have expressed that better ....

Coincidentally with my last G&C order I needed to fill some space - so after too many blades I also on-boarded some Haslinger soap. So today, as agreed with @filobiblic (who also found some in his G&C contents) it was used for the first time:

I opted for the Sheepsmilk and Lanolin. To ensure I dismissed a few variables I returned to the ol' reliable Weber PH loaded with the PSS (shave 2 as it was in the FaTip) and the ol' reliable Duke 2.

cOV1Ift.jpg

For the purposes of this inaugural lather I used a bowl. Not a fan of bowl lathering but in the interests of not having to see my ugly mug this is what we need do. However, this means the resultant lather as pictured will not be as good as what I normally build on my face. With that out of the way, let's load. The puck is small and the container you buy for an extra $1 isn't much bigger. But it's better than another soap wrapped in plastic in my drawer….

qgwE9ig.jpg

Anyway, here's the Duke after a 20 second load (relatively dry brush - a.k.a. the Drubbing Way) - sorry the image isn't very telling but I only took this pathetic one image:

a5Ym3d2.jpg

…and after 30 seconds work

w5e0vEH.jpg

…and after 1 minute.

HUihipa.jpg

WGBNWL3.jpg

As you can see it needs more work and I did work it up on the face. After the 2 minute mark we worked out some of them bubbles and it thickened up.

Thoughts
Scent: When it is dry it has the scent of, and when it is wet and being accosted by a badger, it exudes even stronger the strong unmistakable scent of…well…soap. Not much more to it really. I assume it has tones of milk in there but since I use a cottage-made lanolin soap in the shower daily, I equate the smell of lanolin with soap. Unoffensive and notoriously clean smelling…none could take offence to this smell.
Glide: This is strong point #2. This stuff could be used to lube the tracks of bullet trains. Honestly, it's probably the glidiest lather I've ever experienced. The razor felt no resistance anywhere on the face.
Cushion: This is a hard one, and I am suspending judgement for now. As this lather was created in my unaccustomed fashion, I fear I didn't give it a red hot go. It was thinner and airer on the face than I would have liked - esp. compared to my other favourites Speick and Tabac - but I must say the razor at not point bit…though the glide helps here too I suspect.
Moisture: This is strong point #1. I've not experienced anything like this before. Felt great on application and feel even better now. If you want an indicator, I squeezed out the last bit of lather from the knot with my right hand and two minutes later I had me wrinkly skin across all my fingertips. The face feel of this stuff post-shave is unbelievable.

Finished off with the Agua Balsamic. Can I say, even with the alcohol content of the Myrsol, not the slightest bit of bite or sting. My face feels absolutely divine! Honestly, just great!!!

I need to work out the lathering to get better cushion but this stuff has the makings of my other Germanic/Teutonic favourites.

The $5 question is: is it as good at The Fat? Hmmm…wouldn't know as I've not tried MWF, but if it's anything like this then I understand the hype.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415059852.681033.jpg

The Haslinger Honey soap smells wonderful. A smooth, semi-sweet but creamy scent with the faint caramel-scent of honey. I couldn't stop sniffing the puck.

Lathered up a treat. No probs loading, nor working into a lovely smooth paste. I added a few drops of hot water to the puck before my shower. I also had a dry but damp brush (badger) and worked in water drop by drop. The end result was great.

I found that the cushion-ness wasn't as comfortable as some other soaps, but wasn't too bad over all. The lather did have a lot of glide as you'd expect from a hard soap. The scent opened up even more during the shave.

My post-shave feel was good, but not as moisturising as @stillshunter's Laolin puck. It was a nice feel and I could have gone without the AS, but I always find my skin dries out during the day.

Overall, a good little soap. I look forward to future shaves with it.

Haslinger often gets good feedback on other forums, but I always wondered if the sheeps milk component was just a bunch of wank. Looks like a contender to me though. I'm intrigued; Haslinger have some really interesting scents. Sage, seaweed and aloe vera all sound interesting.

Nice pics and feedback, Stillsy and FB!