Hello from newbie

Subwars

Hi guys, came here after seeing your forum on the whirlpool thread.

Been using Gillette razors since i first started shaving 20 years ago. So never used anything but that. So keen on trying out these double edge razors and saving some cash in the long run.

Been looking at a few things, can't believe how deer some of the brushes are. Might have to get another credit card to buy everything to get started :p

So yea any pointers, products, stores to buy from that you pro's could give.

Welcome @Subwars - you've come to the right place.

I will leave it to wiser heads to dose out the advice - suffice to say that I have gleaned some invaluable information and advice from this excellent Forum.

Welcome @Subwars - you have definitely come to the right place - we are great at spending other members cash :D

Well this is a big topic and many many options are out there so I will leave it the recommendations to the real pros ;)

Welcome mate

it is an INVESTMENT you are making - not an expense!

Mensbiz and Straywhisker are good local suppliers.

What exactly are you looking for?

Great timing to start mate. Shaverhut is having a huge sale and some EJ De89 razors are on special. You could see if Anthony at shaver heaven has any brushes left, and also grab some soaps while there :)

Welcome @Subwars, it really depends what you're after. If it's place to buy from then you can't go wrong with the ones listed above. Shaver Heaven a family run local business by our very own @Anthony, his soaps are highly regarded around these parts.

If you're after a beginner D/E razor then an EJ89 or Merkur 34c are a good place to start and get a sampler pack of blades while your at it. Brush wise you may want to consider a synthetic, no break in time like a boar or badger hair brush so you'll be whipping up a good lather right off the bat.

I am in no way an expert being a fairly recent convert to wet shaving myself but this is some of the advice people with far more knowledge gave me.

Hello @Subwars . Welcome to Paste & Cut. You will get heaps of good advice and more from here.

Welcome @Subwars youll find lots of great advice here.
Also, worthwhile to keep your eye on the Buy Sell Trade forum as there's nothing plenty of bargains to be had.
What's your current gear?

Last edited:
wow so many replies in such a short time.
Snort
Chuckle
Cough

Welcome
Hmmm, I think i know what you mean, could end up spending a lot by the looks of it.

Welcome mate

it is an INVESTMENT you are making - not an expense!

Mensbiz and Straywhisker are good local suppliers.

What exactly are you looking for?
Thanks I'll check them out, and no idea really. complete noob

Great timing to start mate. Shaverhut is having a huge sale and some EJ De89 razors are on special. You could see if Anthony at shaver heaven has any brushes left, and also grab some soaps while there :)
thanks

Welcome @Subwars, it really depends what you're after. If it's place to buy from then you can't go wrong with the ones listed above. Shaver Heaven a family run local business by our very own @Anthony, his soaps are highly regarded around these parts.

If you're after a beginner D/E razor then an EJ89 or Merkur 34c are a good place to start and get a sampler pack of blades while your at it. Brush wise you may want to consider a synthetic, no break in time like a boar or badger hair brush so you'll be whipping up a good lather right off the bat.

I am in no way an expert being a fairly recent convert to wet shaving myself but this is some of the advice people with far more knowledge gave me.

Thanks, do you mean "place to buy from" a bricks and morter? I'm in Hevery Bay so I'll have to go with online, But I am going to be in brissie for a couple weeks mid-late July, so could go browsing then, if there is somewhere.

Welcome @Subwars youll find lots of great advice here.
Also, worthwhile to keep your eye on the Buy Sell Trade forum as there's nothing plenty of bargains to be had.
What's your current gea

My current gear is a Gillette fusion and 1 cartridge left that will need to be put in pretty soon. So as far as real gear goes which you no doubt mean. Then nothing. :)

Hi guys, came here after seeing your forum on the whirlpool thread.

Been using Gillette razors since i first started shaving 20 years ago. So never used anything but that. So keen on trying out these double edge razors and saving some cash in the long run.

Been looking at a few things, can't believe how deer some of the brushes are. Might have to get another credit card to buy everything to get started :p

So yea any pointers, products, stores to buy from that you pro's could give.

Expensive brushes are just expensive. Not better. A good synthetic or boar will do the same job when you get to know how to use them well. Merkur 20, 34 or 30 c is a very good razor to start with @ around $60 and doesn't have inbuilt Gillette cart obsolescence/marketing.

I think Mensbiz is as good a place to start as any. Yes, you can get hardware cheaper OS, but they have good starter kits, and delivery is very fast.

Unlike the terminally addicted here, I'm saving a fortune, and only stock up on consumables like aftershave and blades.

My current gear is a Gillette fusion and 1 cartridge left that will need to be put in pretty soon. So as far as real gear goes which you no doubt mean. Then nothing. :)
This is in the BST http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/fs-vic-mÜhle-r89-rosegold-razor.2690/
The Muhle 89 is basically another version of the Edwin Jagger 89, which many would consider a great place to start.
I may have a few brushes and soaps coming up for sale soon (including a synth which would be a perfect brush to start with).

Thanks, do you mean "place to buy from" a bricks and morter? I'm in Hevery Bay so I'll have to go with online, But I am going to be in brissie for a couple weeks mid-late July, so could go browsing then, if there is somewhere.

No need to go anywhere they all sell online. (y)

What are they like to hold in your hand, are they all pretty much the same? I see some have longer handles, I guess for those that have big.... cough.. hands, i said hands alright... But yea, I guess you hold them all the same way?

Edit: Or do you find some more comfortable to handle?

Edit2: Something else I'll mention is, I always shave while in the shower, just find it so much easier then standing at a sink. So don't know if that will affect anything using these instead.

Last edited: