Hello from newbie

As a relative newbie myself the guys on here are really helpful just don't get overwhelmed with all the information. The guys keep flogging @Anthony from shaver heaven as a good soap, but to be honest I am glad I started out with his soaps as even someone with zero lathering skills and a no name brush can get a great lather going. They are cheap too so if I can give one good piece of info read the reviews and grab a couple of tubs of a few different scents

Weight and balance vary. Preference comes with experience. That's why many recommend the same few razors for beginners, as they are all fairly similar.

Yep - this @Subwars !

The recommendations around a EJ89 or equivalent or Merkur 34C are pretty spot on, they are the most common starting point. You can spend a lot on a razor in the future if you want to, either a stainless steel or some form of adjustable, but they are both mild/mid range razors which could last you a lifetime.

The starter sets from Mensbiz are an easy option for convenience or you could get one of the above razors, a synthetic brush as the best beginning all rounder and some of the great Shaver Heaven soaps. Hopefully one of those suppliers will have blades you can grab at the same time. A sample pack of blades is the best option but stick with one of the blades for a number of shaves while you get your technique improved.

I'd ditch the gel or give it away to Dad, brother etc.

A good lather is half the reason the shaves are better. IGel won't do you any favours trying to learn to use a DE

I have to agree with @Drubbing about ditching the shave gel, i look back now and even if I was still using a cartridge razor, soap would have made a massive difference. i cant beleive it took me so long to get onboard but i wish i had started using a soap years ago

Hi guys, came here after seeing your forum on the whirlpool thread.

Been using Gillette razors since i first started shaving 20 years ago. So never used anything but that. So keen on trying out these double edge razors and saving some cash in the long run.

Been looking at a few things, can't believe how deer some of the brushes are. Might have to get another credit card to buy everything to get started :p

So yea any pointers, products, stores to buy from that you pro's could give.
I'm no pro but own a Semogue boar brush and have just ordered a second on eBay for $24. Check out some reviews on YouTube.

Boar brushes are excellent and they are not inferior to badger. I much prefer a good boar to any badger. Badgers are fine though if you want to spend the money.

Edit2: Something else I'll mention is, I always shave while in the shower, just find it so much easier then standing at a sink. So don't know if that will affect anything using these instead.

I shave while in the shower.
I would suggest doing the first couple of shaves with a DE out of the shower as shaving with a DE is different than shaving with a cart. Your chin, jaw line and under are a bit more challenging when you are new to DE shaving so it might be worth looking at what you are doing in a mirror until you get a bit of muscle memory going.
A lot of people here recommend learning how the hair on your face grows so that you can ensure the first pass you do (and we often do somewhere between 2-4 passes to get a smooth shave) cuts with the grain of your hair growth.
Shaving against the grain (the opposite direction than the one your hair grows in) is not recommended
  • for your first pass
  • at all for your first few weeks shaving
This is because you are more likely to get a bit of discomfort due to poor technique.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it already @Anthony had a few Merkur's up for sale recently - and he is the well known, and regarded Aussie artisan soap maker Shaver Heaven.

So I finally ordered last week, including a few soaps from shaver heaven. Have been very disappointed though, received no confirmation of any kind about my order. So sent a message on Monday night to try and get some kind of confirmation. No reply. than get the email on Tuesday he's closing down, so sent a message via facebook tuesday night. Nothing. Sent another message via his website last night. And a pm on here this morning. Still nothing. so have had all this gear for a week, and no soaps to use it with.

Where else can i get soaps from, unless i can get some kind of confirmation from @Anthony I'm going to have to order elsewhere

So I finally ordered last week, including a few soaps from shaver heaven. Have been very disappointed though, received no confirmation of any kind about my order. So sent a message on Monday night to try and get some kind of confirmation. No reply. than get the email on Tuesday he's closing down, so sent a message via facebook tuesday night. Nothing. Sent another message via his website last night. And a pm on here this morning. Still nothing. so have had all this gear for a week, and no soaps to use it with.

Where else can i get soaps from, unless i can get some kind of confirmation from @Anthony I'm going to have to order elsewhere
Appologies for the delay.
I will get your order out as soon as possible.

Have been absent from social media in the past few days and have not had a chance to get back to everyone. Lame excuse I know. But please rest assured you will recieved your order.

Appologies once again.

Well we will have to sort that one out for ya ;)

See I take shit like this and turn it into something special
o60hB0k.jpg

tNCQTcV.jpg