hello from sydney

bodge

Hi all, thanks mods for letting me in.

Been DE shaving for 4 weeks or so, joined the other forums, then found this one.

Welcome.

It's fairly quiet here a lot of the time, but asking questions tends to get a response eventually, when the Perth guys wake up.

Be ready for some mild piss taking no matter what foot size you are.

The only offences I know of are
  1. praising marco,
  2. enthusing about the value and quality of cart shaving,
  3. saying how wonderful marco is,
  4. dissing cella,
  5. admiring marco's enormous.... knowledge of all things shaving,
  6. being overly patriotic,
  7. pretending you are (or are not) marco,
  8. taunting Drubbing,
  9. feeding the trolls,
  10. not suggesting Mark starts collecting SE razors, or
  11. not taking one of Glen's PIFs

Welcome.

It's fairly quiet here a lot of the time, but asking questions tends to get a response eventually, when the Perth guys wake up.

Which happens on average once every 4 to 6 weeks. :)
And he forgot:
Guns,
Shooting pigs with guns,
While boot scootin and
praying.
Attn Mighty Mod, Just trying to help the new guy not be exposed to your righteous wrath :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks eggbert.

I think I can manage with those kind of rules except no. 4. If and when I try cella, I reserve the right to diss. Is cella good?

I would have thought that the only offence here is to assume there are any offences here.

Really, no one is that uptight here. Drubbing is rarely serious. Except when he talks about brushes. Oh and anything with Sandalwood.

........Is cella good?

Well done, questioning Cella is a good start. If you like the smell of almonds and marzipan you'll love it. If like me you don't you'll forgive it for the sake of a really good, easy to make lather. It suffers from being the subject of a lot of fanboyism and hence for me an ideal target for a bit of derision/leg pulling. None of it serious of course. It's a cheap tallow based soft soap which is almost as good as some more expensive tallow based hard soaps.

Is cella good?

Everything you need to know is in my hugely interesting, informative and authoritative thread. It's clearly the best bargain soap in the world, and anyone would have to have 17 kinds of brain damage not to agree with me.

These blokes are just jealous because, unlike Marco, they don't eat the stuff with their Weetbix.

Well I guess i'll try it at some point. I haven't tried a tallow lather yet, i think.
I have tried/got proraso and fauldings creams in a tube and a palmolive stick.
The proraso works best of the three for me. It lathers more?

gthomas, I always pray while lookin' down the sights at a boot-scootin hog. Yee-hah!

Pjotr, when you say cella is "almost as good as some more expensive tallow based hard soaps." does this mean it's not as good? I really have no idea on this soap business.
I only ever saw my dad and his dad using fauldings and palmolive tubes of cream.

I read the cella thread, recently i was thinking of getting a tub of tabac to try soaps as i heard it was good and easy.

Hi Jug, that reminds me, I have a little sample pot of GFT sandlewood from mensbiz but havent tried it yet as i have been testing blades and not changing my soap.

Hi Jug, that reminds me, I have a little sample pot of GFT sandlewood from mensbiz but havent tried it yet as i have been testing blades and not changing my soap.

I think you should just stick to one blade and soap as you practice your technique.

The simplest method to avoid diappointment is to pick a soap/cream, pick a razor and a blade and brush, use them for some time until you are happy with your lather, stroke technique, beard map, and preparation.

That's just my opinion, everyone has a different approach I guess.

I think you should just stick to one blade and soap as you practice your technique.

The simplest method to avoid diappointment is to pick a soap/cream, pick a razor and a blade and brush, use them for some time until you are happy with your lather, stroke technique, beard map, and preparation.

That's just my opinion, everyone has a different approach I guess.

I would agree with this, but as we know, the desire to tinker with new stuff is strong.

In my experience, you find more differences between stuff in the beginning. I think this is because technique still lags behind and some easy lathering , nicely protective lathers help, and rise to the top.

When technique is good, all the tools pretty much level out. There's always a couple of things you never get on with, and that's true for anyone.

Fair call.

Like feathers. I just can't use them.

None of the soaps and creams I have are vastly different in lathering, but that's clearly because I have a brilliant tehnique.

I do remember being all over the place with different gear when I started. I know everyone does this but I just thought someone should try to be the voice of logic over here.

Prep and beard mapping are two pretty important things though. If you don't get those right you can have issues all down the line.

I do remember being all over the place with different gear when I started. I know everyone does this but I just thought someone should try to be the voice of logic over here.

I tried not to, but it was too hard. Especially as the first blade I had to use was a Derby, then found out that most people here hate them.

I am still struggling to get a decent lather with anything but proraso though. I think I am just being too shy on loading the soap on the brush. I had some success with a hard(ish) soap yesterday though, so hopefully getting there.

Do you practice lather?

The water in Darwin is pretty good. I even got a good lather from my parent's water - bore - out in Virginia.

Don't be afraid to load up the brush mate. You have enough product to waste a bit.

Do you practice lather?

God no! I know it will come with practice and time, but I struggle to shave every other day. So no way I will practice lather, even if I wasn't tighter than a very tight thing.

Ok, so laziness is more the reason than being tight, but I have loaded up on a soap for as long as people here suggest they do, and don't seem to get enough soap on the brush to get a good lather.

I should just add an extra 10 seconds or so to my brush loading, and everything would probably be fine.

If you're loading up plenty of product then maybe you need a wetter brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried both bowl, and face lathering.

Recently it has been a bit more face lathering than bowl.

I am fairly sure i am just being shy with the soap. How many swirls do you do when loading up, and do you start clockwise, or anti-clockwise?

I've tried both bowl, and face lathering.

Recently it has been a bit more face lathering than bowl.

I am fairly sure i am just being shy with the soap. How many swirls do you do when loading up, and do you start clockwise, or anti-clockwise?

If I were Marco I'd get a Royal Commission happening on the anti clockwise swirls. They're clearly trouble.

Have a look at this: check the pictures. http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f7/cella-other-softies-157/

Make sure your brush isn't dripping wet, a soak and shake should be enough. It just takes a bit of getting to know the soap and the brush. Don't be stingy loading. The worst that can happen is you have too much good lather - which is far better than not enough crap lather.

Anti-clockwise swirling is clearly an indication of communist beliefs and has no place here.

Swirl any way you like mate. Upside down, dancing across the room to Tubthumping for all I care.

But get a good bit of moisture on the brush and swirl to your hearts content.

Anyone tells you to go three times one way then three times the other is a loony.