hello from sydney

I was joking about the direction of swirl, but I am not ending up with anywhere near that amount of lather on the brush in Drubbings post. I was very suspicious about that being an advert for cella at first.

Will try again tomorrow, and not be so shy with the soap.

Last edited:
I was joking about the direction of swirl, but I am not ending up with anywhere near that amount of lather on the brush in Drubbings post.

Never, ever joke about swirl direction. Ignore Jug, the Tubthump swirl was a flash in the pan.

Of course you didn't get as much soap in your brush as me, I'm a frickin professional.

Doesn't really matter what brush you use, so long as it's got enough grunt to hold its own on a soap puck. Load it up and practice a bit. It's worth it.

I find face lathering a better way to gauge where the lathers at, but others use bowls. But those people are clearly freaks and we don't encourage them.

I've tried both bowl, and face lathering.

Recently it has been a bit more face lathering than bowl.

I am fairly sure i am just being shy with the soap. How many swirls do you do when loading up, and do you start clockwise, or anti-clockwise?

Face lathering has the advantage that you can feel the consistency of the lather on your face and to an extent hear it too. It makes determining the end point a lot easier than just the visual feedback you get when bowl lathering. Over time you also get a really good feel for how much soap to load particularly using a stick. There's no buffer storage as it were. It's all on your face and in the brush. Too much loaded soap and by the time it's the right consistency it'll be dripping down your face and brush. With a bowl that doesn't really matter.

By the way I stick load clockwise on my left cheek and anti clockwise on my right and then lather up the other way round. It gets confusing so I have to maintain a diary as I go along. It'll be published shortly.

Last edited: