Hi from Hawthorn

Draco Noir

Gone but not forgotten...
In Memoriam
Hello all. I've been a DE shaving convert for a few months now, and I couldn't be happier .

I started, as many of us do, with lots of motivation and little skill. After a lot of expenditure, experimenting, and listening to those who know, my knowledge and technique have really improved. I now find many enjoyable options for consistently great shaves.

The most unexpected thing was that shaving and shave gear has become a hobby, rather than just a necessary daily chore. (Is that snickering I hear in the background?) I've succumbed (pretty willingly) to the gear acquisition trap, and now have a small but nice collection of razors and brushes to choose from. I'm particularly enjoying some of the vintage razors at the moment.

It's fantastic to find a forum for like minded guys in our part of the world. Although I've lurked around B&B and other forums overseas, it's great to find a forum that's a bit more focussed on our own part of the world.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to being involved.

Welcome Draco,
Pull yourself up a chair, read the welcome email for hints on how to get full access to the site (it may be in spam folder), like a few posts, and away you go.

Hey mate- welcome. Nice of you to join the conversation.
What vintage razor and soap/cream are you currently enjoying?

Welcome Draco, judging from the humour of your first post you'll fit in just fine in these here parts.

A lot of expenditure eh? Well buckle up for the ride as if you hang around here 6months from now you'll suddenly realise you've filled your spare bedroom with gear and are for gawd knows what reason are on a 3 day session using Google Translate to peruse an Albanian classifieds website trying to locate some rare mythical Soviet bloc blades that were crafted in the Urals for Stalin's personal use.

Look forward to chatting with you around the way. :)

Thanks guys, one and all. I already feel like I've landed in the right place...

@filiobiblic - this morning's shave was eShave Orange and Sandalwood Cream, applied with a small black Omega silvertip brush, scraped off with a '62 Slim Adjustable and finished with some Trumper's Lime Skinfood.

I'm also enjoying the heck out of a '46 Superspeed, and an undated ('30s?) Long Comb New at the moment. Current faves in the soap/cream dept include Mitchell's Wool Fat, D.R.Harris Arlington and a couple from Maggard Shaving in the US of A : Lime and Bergamot, and Orange and Menthol.

Thanks again,

Draco

Some reliable stalwarts in that line up. [emoji6]

Do you happen to enjoy a bit of citrus? Or 'tis the season for it?

@filobiblic - touche. It does look a tad citrus heavy doesn't it?
Maybe it's time to reorganise the soap drawer and put more non-citrus offerings at the front.... (y)

@filobiblic - touche. It does look a tad citrus heavy doesn't it?
Maybe it's time to reorganise the soap drawer and put more non-citrus offerings at the front.... (y)
So many different scent families to try: Bay Rum, spices, floral, barbershop, grassy/earthy...
And then there's blokes like @Anthony that create edible scents (Choc mint, liquorice, etc). [emoji6]

The most unexpected thing was that shaving and shave gear has become a hobby, rather than just a necessary daily chore.

You're alone here with that one mate. No hobbyists here. We all just shave because we have to...

Welcome :)

You're alone here with that one mate. No hobbyists here. We all just shave because we have to...

Welcome :)

Ignore him @Draco Noir - his nose is growing now ....

Some of us are grown up enough to admit our (relatively) innocence vices.

Nice collection of kits you have by the sound of it!

Ignore him @Draco Noir - his nose is growing now ....

Some of us are grown up enough to admit our (relatively) innocence vices.

Nice collection of kits you have by the sound of it!

That is relatively compared to Imelda Marcos's shoe collection is it @Mark1966 ?

The truth Draco (if it doesn't scare you off) @Mark1966 has one of the worlds largest collections of Gillette DE razors, our noble leader @Monsta_AU has over 100,000 blades and @filobiblic collects post counts so rapidly he will break the system soon. The rest of us are quite normal (well except for the WA people, but then again they do come from WA) :)

Haha guys,

@gthomas04, not scared off in the slightest - I find myself breathing a large sigh of relief in fact. From what you say about @Mark1966 my Razor Acquisition Disorder hasn't yet reached terminal stage, and in fact may not even require treatment yet.

100,000 blades does give me pause for reflection though - even at one shave per blade, I hope he has an awful lot of male grandchildren (y)

And @Mark1966, I'm working on it - haven't even mentioned the Fatboys, Black Beauties, Tech's, English made News etc yet :whistle:

Nice stuff @Draco Noir !!!

You don't require treatment till you get to this stage. I don't collect brushes though fortunately, nor blades ....