Hone of the Day

A close up teaser of another rare and valuable rock that just came home to daddy. Lapped, dressed edges chamfered at 45 degrees, smoothed out and tested thoroughly with a matching tomo (slurry stone) only to prove itself to be a winner. An ultra fine vintage mizu asagi tomae from the Nakayama mine. Now it's time to seal her up. This is as pure and as fine as it gets, that's all.

mizu%20asagi_zpsz5homp3f.jpg
What do you use to seal it and where do you get it - TIA?

Decided yesterday to try one of my thuringians again as I have not given it the love it deserves to learn it properly.
The edges look great, however, we'll see how tomorrows test shave goes.
Just for the record, I honed a Worsty IXL, a Smith and Sons (Sheffield) and a FAMEX (that I know nothing about) all around 11/16 - 6/8

Just to let everyone know - they all shaved well, however, I clearly need more steel to rub on the thuri to get the best out of it

A close up teaser of another rare and valuable rock that just came home to daddy. Lapped, dressed edges chamfered at 45 degrees, smoothed out and tested thoroughly with a matching tomo (slurry stone) only to prove itself to be a winner. An ultra fine vintage mizu asagi tomae from the Nakayama mine. Now it's time to seal her up. This is as pure and as fine as it gets, that's all.

mizu%20asagi_zpsz5homp3f.jpg
Wow... I shudder to think what that is worth!

I also have a bunch of unprocessed stones including an ultra hard ozuku and wakasa with saw marks on the face, would you care to volunteer to lap them out?

Did 2 razors last night. 1st was a touch up with the Narutaki with slurry then clear water.

2nd is a fellow members razor. He was having issues so I checked it out for him. Edge was chippy and had rust starting on the blade and also rust around the pivot and tang. Needed to come apart for cleaning. Got it cleaned with rust removed and repinned. Started honing on the Chosera with the brown slurry stone to fix the edge up and reset the bevel. Killed and reset on the Chosera water only. Moved to the Naniwas for 3, 5, 8 and 12. Finished on La Grise coticule. Light slurry diluted to clean water. Finally silk finish linen and dubl duck shell.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! It's only 7 years dormant ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

j8S9Q5j.jpg

Continuing my journey with the Mastro Livi Method, I found myself in search of a well-sized Coticule stone. This quest led me to stumble upon a dedicated Facebook page for Coticules, adorned with mesmerizing images courtesy of Nicolas @ 1Stone.

Nicolas boasted an array of exquisite stones in his inventory; however, the flawless specimens were either snatched up quickly or carried a hefty price tag. Curious to explore my options for the 3K to 6K progression, I sought Nicolas' counsel. His recommendation pointed me toward what he termed the "Belgian Violet," also known as the "BBW" – a term familiar to me as the Belgian Blue Whetstone. This label puzzled me momentarily, as I had previously associated it with the darker side of natural Coticule stones. For a time, my search veered towards the "Lorraine Rouge" or "Rouge Du Salm," pondering whether these were the elusive "Belgian Violet" Nicolas had extolled. My confusion persisted, especially since Nicolas also stocked the "Red Salm," which left me doubting their equivalence. Delving into more literature, I ultimately unraveled the truth: the "Belgian Violet BBW" is simply a moniker for the Belgian Blue Whetstone or the darker facet of a natural Coticule combination stone. I reminisced about my initial Coticule from Ardennes, which sported an adhered black slate piece, rendering the dark side seemingly ineffectual for honing straight razors.

Before committing to a larger Belgian Blue Whetstone in lieu of a traditional Coticule, I opted to rejuvenate the BBW face of my petite 160x35mm stone – a budget acquisition due to its gradually thinning Coticule side. To my astonishment, as I began lapping, the slurry took on a hue reminiscent of red wine, unmistakably identifying it as the elusive "BBW" or "Violet Belgian." Intrigued to validate its prowess, I selected my Solingen 5/8 Best Quality Silver Steel blade – a blade that had always proven a challenge to sharpen efficiently, owing to the Silver Steel's reputed hardness, exceeding that of stainless steel albeit with a lower rust resistance quotient (a detail I'm sure our in-house retired blacksmith @Gargravarr or metallurgist @TomG could refine).

Long story short I got a beautiful edge off the BBW side (slurry/dilucot/water) finishing with a a few gentle passes on the coti side, using water exclusively, and the Solingen 5/8 Best Quality Silver Steel has now triumphantly graduated from the realm of blades awaiting to be moved on or given away.

Do any other P&C members have experience using Belgian Violet BBW with dilucot method for that progression between bevel set and polishing?

Holy thread resurrection Batman! It's only 7 years dormant ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯
...a blade that had always proven a challenge to sharpen efficiently, owing to the Silver Steel's reputed hardness, exceeding that of stainless steel albeit with a lower rust resistance quotient (a detail I'm sure our in-house retired blacksmith @Gargravarr or metallurgist @TomG could refine).
Nice bump to the thread :LOL: (Some sites don't like necrobumping, but I think it's an efficient thing to do. (y))

I could be tempted to go on at length about silver steel, but I'll keep my input brief instead. As a former blacksmith (and metallurgist) I have a high degree of respect for carbon steels, and this is a great one - though not an instinctive choice for razors. It's a slightly alloyed tool steel that's made for applications involving a high amount of wear. Think earthmoving equipment and the like. I'd guess that would make it hard to hone, but once that job is done, one might suppose it wouldn't need to be redone for a long time.