Horse Hair Brushes

Do you like them or not?

• Total voters

Nanook

"Abandon all money, ye who enter here."
What are peoples thoughts on horse hair shave brushes?

I prefer a natural brush, boar being my favourite. I also own several badger and synthetic ones that I have no problems with. I thought I'd give a horse hair brush a go after reading some positive reviews. I've used it a few times now and tried it again last night but I just can't warm to it.

Everything I read about them was that they are soft however have a decent backbone. My Vielong, is as floppy as a limp d. To me it's so bad that I can't even get a decent lather up in my bowl that on every other style of brush would whip up a storm.

I guess its going to be written off as a bad investment.

If you’re going to get a horse hair shaving brush, for goodness sake don’t be an ASSH:woot:LE!!! Okay :happy:

giphy.gif

I have tried a variety of horse hair brushes and as always there are huge differences...

I have one Epsilon left in the stable, which I used just this week and it is as lovey to use as I remembered. I prefer them to boar, but of course nothings beats a good badger ;)

I believe this is the one I have...
brocha-de-afeitar-caballo-fan-shape-epsilon-26mm.jpg

I have a few NAG's on RHS

Epsilon LE 2015 Brown Horse Hair 30mm knot - same as @alfredus but dark hair
Vie-Long 22mm Brown Horse - just off photo with only 1/2 brush showing. This one is a nice little performer

TBH: I don't reach for them often enough because I have too much variety and sharing the love amongst all brushes in the den but if I had no other brush and only the little 22mm Vie Long Brown would be happy. It's just a good solid little performer.

]

I'm glad this poll came up (and I have an OT question: how do you set one up?)

I've been considering a nag as a replacement for the Tux knot in my 26mm Forgotten Art handle. I may even be prepared to cannibalise a nice Zenith like this one if I can't find a suitable "naked" knot. I'm interested to know what people think...

I'm glad this poll came up (and I have an OT question: how do you set one up?)

I've been considering a nag as a replacement for the Tux knot in my 26mm Forgotten Art handle. I may even be prepared to cannibalise a nice Zenith like this one if I can't find a suitable "naked" knot. I'm interested to know what people think...
Waste of a good handle. I would donate the Epsilon LE 2015 Brown Horse Hair 30mm knot to a good cause and save that handle :)

Waste of a good handle. I would donate the Epsilon LE 2015 Brown Horse Hair 30mm knot to a good cause and save that handle :)
Nice, but it won't fit in a 26mm hole. The Forgotten Art handle just needs something more special than what it's got.