Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I’m 57, getting old and starting to show it.

Women spend a lot of money trying to stop the effects of ageing. Maybe we should spend some too?

What works, actually works that is, not like Gillette multi blade advertising works.

How to stop, slow down or reverse ageing?

Women spend a lot of money trying to stop the effects of ageing. Maybe we should spend some too?

What works, actually works that is, not like Gillette multi blade advertising works.

My very simple aftershave recipe can help you slow down your ageing effect, and also help you save heaps of money against all aftershave splash and balm crap.

Apart from the obvious, a good diet and some exercise. Have a Look at a guy called Dimitri James. He has a skin care line called SKINN. Before you laugh he is 62. I have my wife and late night TVSN on in the background while she is working to thank for knowing about him. If not have a look at what Rob Lowe is doing. Some of it has to be genetics but some sort of regimen has to play its part.

Rob Lowe starts his day by washing his face with a gentle cleanser. He then uses an exfoliating scrub 2-3 times per week to slough off dead skin cells and reveal brighter, more evenly-toned skin beneath.

After exfoliating, Rob Lowe applies a hydrating serum followed by an eye cream and moisturizer. He makes sure to apply sunscreen year-round to protect his skin from the sun’s harmful rays – something we should all be doing!

In addition to using skincare products, Lowe emphasized the importance of sunscreen. “I never leave home without sunscreen, no matter what time of year it is,” he said. “You should always protect your skin from too much sun exposure.”

Yeah that sun will get you everytime. The ship may have sailed on that one for most of us. A lot of the skin damage happens when young but thats not to say that you shouldnt protect yourself from the sun now.

Done morning and night.

Last edited:
Build muscle.
Seriously, bulk up, find your TDEE add a few hundred calories over that and lift weights most days, keep your walking up and get some cardio in too.

When you are starting to get a bit chunky, go a few hundred calories below your TDEE number and keep up the protein in both phases.

You will feel a million bucks and look great.

I know the secret but would never tell it on P&C for fear of @SpeedyPC farting or crapping on me. He currently has an obsession with anal functions.
giphy.gif

Also a lot of time on looksmax.org and some bone smashing is also a less good option, Need to take the atomic black pill for that one.

A lot of the skin damage happens when young but thats not to say that you shouldnt protect yourself from the sun now.

Done morning and night.
I was only joking when I said I could get sunburnt at midnight down in Tassie. :ROFLMAO: Sunblock in the morning is enough for me. I find a liberal splashing with TND witch hazel is enough for me after my evening shower before hitting the sack. But evening routines will have to vary widely according to skin type.

Nobody knows more about skin than the animal that lives in it.

I was only joking when I said I could get sunburnt at midnight down in Tassie. :ROFLMAO: Sunblock in the morning is enough for me. I find a liberal splashing with TND witch hazel is enough for me after my evening shower before hitting the sack. But evening routines will have to vary widely according to skin type.

I should have said there is usually a day and a night cream. So you have to do it twice. The sunblock is only for when you are actually going to be in the sun.

This one doesn't - which is why I'm asking the questions!

Good diet - pretty much tick (although a challenge when traveling)

Exercise - yep, happening more regularly now

Weights - interesting thought, might look at that

Sunscreen - yep, doing it now when outdoors, not so much when younger, my olive complexion tanned.

Gentle cleanser daily - any suggestions?

Exfoliating scrub 2-3 times per week then s a hydrating serum followed by an eye cream and moisturizer - new territory for me, recommendations on products?

Any other thoughts peoples?

Any other thoughts peoples?

Another vote for weights. Not only will retaining muscle mass make you look younger, it will be good for your joints and posture. Make sure you include power movements, like power cleans, as well as basic strength work like squats, pulls, and presses.

Alcohol in moderation. That's around 3-4 standard drinks per week.

Another vote for weights. Not only will retaining muscle mass make you look younger, it will be good for your joints and posture. Make sure you include power movements, like power cleans, as well as basic strength work like squats, pulls, and presses.

Alcohol in moderation. That's around 3-4 standard drinks per day.

FTFY :ROFLMAO:

You seem like a pretty together guy (unlike me haha) so I am assuming you drink plenty of water and drink alcohol in moderation. (I know it sucks)
Get plenty of activity, maybe go for some walks and stuff like that whilst putting on some sunscreen. I have been Vitamin D deficient several times in my lifetime and I can tell you that it makes you feel as old as heck too so whilst you're outside on a walk you routines you should absorb some good amount of sun and thus Vitamin D.
Get plenty of sleep and at the right times (again something I am not good at)

Is there a specific area in which you feel aging is catching up to you more (your face or joints for example). If its specifically your face I did find that the Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum was pretty great although it became quite a bit more expensive since I bought my first and second 60ml bottle at $72. It helped my skin elasticity and complexion as I appeared to be a bit pale before and withdrawn (but the anxiety didn't help) before beginning to use it. It appears they do sell a smaller 30ml bottle these days but it's still expensive and as such I only use it as a rare pick me up but must admit that my skin care routine has been difficult to squeeze in sometimes and often I enjoy my shaves too much and like that scent of the shave to linger on all day long rather than scrub it off and have the scent of skin care products on.
You don't really have to spend a lot of money when it comes to skin care routines. I used to buy a slew of skin care products but as long as you keep a routine with everything then you should see some improvements.

When it comes to cleansers I find CeraVe Foaming Cleanser to be pretty good for a daily cleanser. It doesn't really have any perfume to it which is fine by me and isn't really a foam, its actually quite dense and you only require a little bit as it goes a long way with some water. There is another cleanser in the CeraVe line (Hydrating) which might be okay too. They aren't too dear and are of a good quality.

Someone here recommended (sorry I do not recall) me a scrub as an alternative to the Proraso beard scrub as the scent was a bit irritating for everyone in the house but it was very pleasant and good bang for buck. Urth scrub is also very good but expensive. As long as it has a natural medium inside such as grounded up walnut shells then it should be great as I find the more natural and finer particles work much better and are not as abrasive or harmful to the environment and on top of that I find that with the more natural ones you get more scrubbing media inside.

When it comes to moisturisers I feel like the matte drying ones are best especially in the heat as you do not want to add a layer of grease to your face during the heat but they tend to work well all season. Menscience was my go to here but that was also in the $70 range and Jack Black Clean Break Oil-Free Moisturizer was quite decent too but I imagine CeraVe probably have a good one too but I have no experience with any of their moisturisers.

I believe Jack Black also made a line smoother which is pretty good although the scent wasn't too great. Kinda like a chemical and it did sting my face sometimes but its worth having a look at. The scent did fade after a while and so did the stinging but the stinging lasted a but longer. It's probably best to use this one at night time only so as not to conflict with a shave. I didn't use this one as often so it may not be necessary but that is up to you.

As long as you cleanse, scrub, serum and then moisturize then you should be fine. You might even be able to add some witch hazel in the mix if you want. I wouldn't scrub more that 2 to 3 times a week at most depending upon your skin. You can add an eye serum cream too if you want to address some issues under and around the eye particularly if you have some dark circles (that's my problem) but eye serum is usually the dearest product you'll buy considering eye serums are usually a lot smaller containers but they should last a while since you are only using it on a smaller section of skin. You standard skin moisturisers are too heavy for under the eye and try to address a different issue as you generally also want to firm up the skin under your eyes or you will end up with bags.

There are probably a lot more qualified people than me here to help you out but that's just my opinion. I haven't had the money to spend on such things and am still using my now expired CeraVe skin cleanser which is still doing fine so maybe I am not the best person to ask. hahaha

As I was browsing Beard & Blade for how to spend my Charity Auction gift card I noticed this blog post - How to Build a Skin Care Routine in 4 Steps

So ended up buying their kits to give a try!

MYiZzHi.jpg

I'll give it a try and report back :)

To further extol the virtue of weights.
Putting on muscle will yield disproportionally high dividends as muscle loss happens in older age but you are starting from a higher base and as such have more margin but resistance training has also been shown to improve resistance to osteoporosis and general improvement in bone density.
Moreover the caloric requirements of weight lifting mean you can eat more without putting on additional body fat (assuming you actually track your eating)