I Coloniali Shaving soap

Young Buck

Hi Gents hope everyone is well. Just wanted to share the below link. You may know that this soap is being discontinued. For me this soap probably the best performing soap I have ever used regardless of price.

On that note you may want to pickup some before they turn up as NOS. The below site offers one puck shipped for about £8 to OZ. I haven't used them before but have one on the way for myself to go in storage when I feel like using it again.

http://www.echemist.co.uk/product/i-coloniali-shaving-cream-with-mango-oil-refill

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gents hope everyone is well. Just wanted to share the below link. You may know that this soap is being discontinued. For me this soap probably the best performing soap I have ever used regardless of price.

On that note you may want to pickup some before they turn up as NOS. The below site offers one puck shipped for about £8 to OZ. I haven't used them before but have one on the way for myself to go in storage when I feel like using it again.

http://www.echemist.co.uk/product/i-coloniali-shaving-cream-with-mango-oil-refill
Thanks @Young Buck. I tried to grab some at Connaughts the other night but they were sold out. Grabbed myself a puck with Terracotta bowl and added an extra puck as well $40 AUD shipped which is not a bad deal for this soap from what I understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just about to post about this. I wasn't sure that it was anything but a rumour, but I received this email today from Bullgoose.

A Discontinued Legend
I Coloniali is a revered Italian brand of shaving and grooming products. In a stunning move, they have apparently decided to discontinue their entire shaving line. This is a shame as their shaving products have excellent skin conditioning qualities and unique scents. Grab a piece of history and pick up a shaving soap, shaving cream or aftershave before it is too late.

I Coloniali is an absolute top shelf soap. One of the best.

The Stray Whisker locally still has some of the bowls in stock too. Con @shavetheman can probably confirm the stock he has.

This is indeed true.

We still have a few in stock and they are selling steadily.

Additionally, we ordered what seems to be the very last of the shave creams that Atkinsons had....they will be in store in the next ten days or so. Possibly sooner.

The shave cream, for what it's worth, is in my opinion one of the "best in class" shave creams available on the market.

I just purchased 2 pucks from here.
A good price but the postage is a killer. I'm off to the UK in December so I just sent them to my parents in London. For the terracotta bowl Gifts and Care is still the best price I think.

I note that one vendor says that the refills will be available again mid 2017.....

To be honest, from my reading and experience the company has a history of doing this with a lot of Vendors reporting that they get a large order, then go to restock and the company says they are not making it.... 12 months then passes and suddenly it is available again, it's been going on for a number of years apparently.

To be honest, from my reading and experience the company has a history of doing this with a lot of Vendors reporting that they get a large order, then go to restock and the company says they are not making it.... 12 months then passes and suddenly it is available again, it's been going on for a number of years apparently.
OK another one of "those" companies then by the sound of it

OK another one of "those" companies then by the sound of it

Yes one of those without a doubt, I have been after their Rhubarb Deodorant stick and it's one of those "they stopped making it" and no suppliers have stock. It will come back in 6 months or a year or so. I think it is part marketing and part logistics of manufacture to be honest. The creation of scarcity always manages to move a few thousands units to wet-shavers like us at any case.

L'Occitane does the same thing with their CADE and other men's ranges, no doubt for exactly the same reason - in their case though I suspect it's more logistics of supply rather than marketing as they are such a large cosmetics concern.

I notice Razo Rock Joe has adapted the technique the 'limited run, very few' with his highly popular XXX series, both in the 'special edition' hard soap, Tuscan Oud, and the very middle of the road Razo Rock XXX splashes. It seems like a very successful marketing move as I am sure he shifts a few thousand bottles and likewise the same with his 'hard' XXX pucks.

I notice Razo Rock Joe has adapted the technique the 'limited run, very few' with his highly popular XXX series, both in the 'special edition' hard soap, Tuscan Oud, and the very middle of the road Razo Rock XXX splashes. It seems like a very successful marketing move as I am sure he shifts a few thousand bottles and likewise the same with his 'hard' XXX pucks.

Don't get me started on Joe and his business practices... You should not treat your customers this way.

Wow, I had no idea that there was an issue with Joe, I guess I am a bit naive in that I still attach a romanticism to it all in a gentlemanly way.
I have spoken to Joe once or twice regarding products and he seemed like a nice guy.

I am pretty sure Disney does the same things in regards to its movies/DVD's which is what they call the Disney vault and it does create a greater demand for the products.
I don't like it but if it keeps the business afloat I guess I don't have a problem with it.
Is there a possibility that it's the shaver in them that wants to keep trying new things too so in order to do that then they have to keep doing things in a sort of cycle and perhaps due to popular demand they may bring it back in some form or another.
I know these artisans do not have the budget to buy essential oils and other ingredients in bulk by suppliers like the big companies do so that could be a possibility also.
I would love Razorock to release another batch of Mughetto Di Balogna but I guess this is an example of one of those soaps.
I am guessing there is a lot more to this and I am just looking at the bright side.

I am actually really tempted to try/buy this i-coloniali soap and the looming threat of it being pulled from the market now does give me a sense of urgency which would otherwise not be there right now but I am reluctant as it would certainly put my purchase schedule out of wack. Quite the conundrum and I guess this is one of those aspects of which I hate about the entire wet shaving thing. I wish it wasn't like this at all because you can only really bleed a person so dry which I guess is evident here.
Word of mouth in this end of the business is a large aspect so retailers and artisans need to make sure that a level of respect is being shown to its customers.

Wow, I had no idea that there was an issue with Joe, I guess I am a bit naive in that I still attach a romanticism to it all in a gentlemanly way.
I have spoken to Joe once or twice regarding products and he seemed like a nice guy.

'Razo Rock Joe' is a highly successful business man with a very, very popular range of products. It would be erroneous to in anyway construe my comments as anything other than a consumer making an observation on the products I have purchased bearing his brand name and originating from his company.

To be frank though, I can't and won't personally ever use 'Razo Rock' soap again.

In my personal circumstances as a consumer who bought 'Razo Rock' soap the Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil in the soaps I used caused the severe irritation, dryness and rash post shave that I experienced. I shaved on at least 15 to 25 occasions with 'XXX' from two different tubs over several months and experienced the same or comparable reactions and severe discomfort on each occasion. My experience parallels that of many other's I have read posted on wet-shaving forums around the globe, a google search of some of the larger forums will produce a wealth of substantive material collaboration in this regard.

There is a theory and often expressed consumer opinion with currency as it is supported by professional soapmakers that the 'Razo Rock' soaps often are not 'cured' for the required length of time prior to being sold. It has been suggested and argued that this is due to commercial imperatives. I am not a soap maker, Dermatologist or a chemist therefore I cannot meaningfully comment on the validity of this theory however but only on my personal circumstances which would reasonably tend to lead me to belief this idea has validity.

There is a wealth of other artisan and commercial soap and cream makers who make consistent, high quality products in the wet-shaving marketplace. It is these who I will choose to spend my money with as a consumer.

Last edited:
'Razo Rock Joe' is a highly successful business man with a very, very popular range of products. It would be erroneous to in anyway construe my comments as anything other than a consumer making an observation on the products I have purchased bearing his brand name and originating from his company.

To be frank though, I can't and won't personally ever use 'Razo Rock' soap again.

In my personal circumstances as a consumer who bought 'Razo Rock' soap the Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil in the soaps I used caused the severe irritation, dryness and rash post shave that I experienced. I shaved on at least 15 to 25 occasions with 'XXX' from two different tubs over several months and experienced the same or comparable reactions and severe discomfort on each occasion. My experience parallels that of many other's I have read posted on wet-shaving forums around the globe, a google search of some of the larger forums will produce a wealth of substantive material collaboration in this regard.

There is a theory and often expressed consumer opinion with currency as it is supported by professional soapmakers that the 'Razo Rock' soaps often are not 'cured' for the required length of time prior to being sold. It has been suggested and argued that this is due to commercial imperatives. I am not a soap maker, Dermatologist or a chemist therefore I cannot meaningfully comment on the validity of this theory however but only on my personal circumstances which would reasonably tend to lead me to belief this idea has validity.

There is a wealth of other artisan and commercial soap and cream makers who make consistent, high quality products in the wet-shaving marketplace. It is these who I will choose to spend my money with as a consumer.

I love this analysis and straight honest opinion we need more of it especially those that buy volumes of soap more so than I do

After a little investigating it seems that this rumour started with Bullgoose shaving, who has pulled the same stunt before.