Ill-founded Fears in Shaving

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I have a fear (I'm sure is ill-founded) of shaving with a "safety" razor. This fear has developed the more I shave with a straight razor. I do occasionally try and shave with a DE razor but my inner fear wins out.

I recently discovered that @Mark1966 has a fear of straight razor shaving. From my experience, I know that his fear is also ill-founded.

I believe that, over the past 100 years, more men have died while "safety" razor shaving than have died while straight razor shaving.

Do you have any fears in shaving?

I recently discovered that @Mark1966 has a fear of straight razor shaving. ...

Original post edited to highlight attempt at humour.

Moving from carts to DE razors I was nervous of cutting myself and I have the same thoughts about straights - but I'm sure it is just a matter of technique.

I'm not going to be using them though as I don't know I could / could be bothered to maintain them properly.

More people die each year from vending machines falling on them than from shark attacks...yet 99% of the time I tell a non diver I dive, they ask me if I am not afraid of sharks...my standard answer is, aren't you afraid of vending machines 😉

As the great philosopher Stephen Harris said:

Have you ever been alone at night Thought you heard footsteps behind And turned around and no one's there? And as you quicken up your pace You find it hard to look again Because you're sure there's someone there

More people die each year from vending machines falling on them than from shark attacks...yet 99% of the time I tell a non diver I dive, they ask me if I am not afraid of sharks...my standard answer is, aren't you afraid of vending machines 😉

Have you ever been alone at night Thought you heard footsteps behind And turned around and no one's there? And as you quicken up your pace You find it hard to look again Because you're sure there's someone there
You can say anything you like with statistics. Like 25% of traffic accidents are caused by drunk drivers. Which presumably means that 75% of accidents are caused by sober drivers, so it follows that drunk drivers are safer. :p

On another note... I don't know how many sharks I've eaten over my lifetime, but I've bitten a lot.

And yet another note... the monsters under the bed are REAL. :eek: Just ask my dog.

Where does one draw the line between a safety razor and a cartridge? To me, a cartridge razor IS a safety razor. It would be a bit sad to spend one's life quaking in fear of a Mach 3. Unless you're a haemophiliac I guess... :unsure:

Where does one draw the line between a safety razor and a cartridge? To me, a cartridge razor IS a safety razor. It would be a bit sad to spend one's life quaking in fear of a Mach 3. Unless you're a haemophiliac I guess... :unsure:

The biggest fear I have of a Mach 3 is the price. Why pay $30 for 4 cartridges when you can pay $20 for 100 DE blades.

You can say anything you like with statistics. Like 25% of traffic accidents are caused by drunk drivers. Which presumably means that 75% of accidents are caused by sober drivers, so it follows that drunk drivers are safer. :p
Unfortunately these days you can say wherever you want...don't need to bother with any sort of proof, as long as you post it online it must be true 😉

Unfortunately these days you can say wherever you want...don't need to bother with any sort of proof, as long as you post it online it must be true 😉

When you have a clapping hands emoji between each word ...

The other way to look at it is how many people are driving on roads at any one time v how many are swimming in the water.. either way I would much rather go in a car accident than to feel those bloody sharp shark teeth ripping through my skin :)

The other way to look at it is how many people are driving on roads at any one time v how many are swimming in the water.. either way I would much rather go in a car accident than to feel those bloody sharp shark teeth ripping through my skin :)
I've read a few accounts from people who have been bitten by sharks claiming they didn't actually feel any pain at the time, it all happened so fast. If that's true, it might be one of the better ways to go.

I've read a few accounts from people who have been bitten by sharks claiming they didn't actually feel any pain at the time, it all happened so fast. If that's true, it might be one of the better ways to go.

i have heard the same.. they didnt feel is 'when' it happened.. if they survived I would be quite sure they felt if after, for a long while

it might be illogical but I have a fear of sharks and teeth, so any other way to go is best for me :)

Personally it is the impact of the war in the Ukraine leading to higher oil prices and thus greater likelihood of higher US nuclear energy production that is keeping me awake at night.

I don't want to drown in a pool

It's all relative - I commute to work in Sydney on a motorcycle - much more dangerous than any form of razor. Yet at the moment, it's probably safer than the train due to covid.

Anyway, probably the deadliest razors are those cheap disposable green Bics. Death by a thousand cuts.

Have a brilliant cartoon which sums this up perfectly, but have no idea how to upload pictures to P&C. Can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it either. They must be somewhere.
cheers
Andrew

Have a brilliant cartoon which sums this up perfectly, but have no idea how to upload pictures to P&C. Can't seem to find any instructions on how to do it either. They must be somewhere.
cheers
Andrew
Maybe we need a FAQ sticky. :unsure:

OK, the idea is that P&C bills are paid by @Monsta_AU, so in the interests of economy, images and other media have to be hosted elsewhere. So all you have to do is upload your image to somewhere like Postimages, Imgur or whatever, then insert the URL for the image into your post here.

HTH (y)

I had known about safety razors for 10 years before I made the jump (due to annoyance over missing a half off sale at Colesworths for an 8 pack of Schick Hydro 5s), and even then, once I bought my first one (Jack the Barber), I didn't shave with it for another month. Kept on putting it off, making excuses etc. I started improving my lather over canned foam first by using the JTB shave cream and brush, while still using a cartridge and handle.

I'm more afraid of shavettes than straight razors, actually. The balance and feel just doesn't feel right. Maybe I should try a proper AC instead of the cheap aliexpress ones, but that's a chunk of change, I'd rather spend on more soaps. I have a number of straights I never use. More to do with underwhelming shaves than fear of use. I guess I've never gotten one properly 'shave ready' to experience the best of what a straight can do.

I'm more afraid of shavettes than straight razors, actually. The balance and feel just doesn't feel right. Maybe I should try a proper AC instead of the cheap aliexpress ones, but that's a chunk of change,

I agree, I use a shavette every now and then when I'm too lazy to prepare a SR and I think the shavette is harder to use. If you can master a shavette, you will breeze through a SR shave.

If you want to live on the edge

Vending machines, schmending machines. If you want to live life on the edge try rock fishing. It is probably the most dangerous sport in Australia and since 2004 there have been 192 fatalities in Oz alone. I’ve been rock fishing a long time and recently (this year) stopped due to my bad knees. Like anything in life, a little common sense goes a long way; don’t go rock fishing alone, don’t turn your back to the ocean, and wear a life jacket In case a wave does wash you out. About time, I bought myself a boat again and relive my youth. 🤣