It's time I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Greetings all,

I was fortunate to find this wonderful place in my relentless search for shaving info.

At the age of 58, I have become increasingly dissatisfied with my shaving. I never learned wet shaving of any description as a young man but started with a Braun electric razor. I used various Brauns over the years but found them increasingly less effective. I then switched to a Philishave, but found that it too seemingly takes forever (10 mins or so) and gives a dissatifying shave. Of course through the years when my electric razor was broken I dabbled with cartridge razors with terrible results.

So, somehow - I don't exactly remember - I stumbled on the idea of wet shaving, and have decided to start with DE razors. I was still in the research phase when I found my wife - bless her socks - had bought me a brush and some soap for Xmas. It is a Wahls Silvertip Bager from The Shaver Shop, and an Evelyn & Crabtree Sandalwood soap.

Even though I hadn't bought a DE razor yet I decided to experiment with a Dollar Shave Club cartridge razor that I buy for my wife's needs. At least I will gain experience lathering.

So I now have had 2 days worth of shaves, and interesting experiences. I look forward to the arrival of my DE89 and some blades to experiment with.

One question if anyone wants to weigh in on it: does ones beard change with age? I know skin does, but hair too? Is that why the electric razor worked well in my youth but not so well now?

Have a great 2016 everyone.

Welcome @DrBob!

Weird isn't it, but I couldn't tell you if my beard has changed over the years too much. Prior to this year, I've just used the mach3 and not really looked at it that closely. Now I can tell you about that one blasted hair that constantly grows against the grain of the rest :) Someone with more experience may be able to answer for us...

It's possible beards get a bit tougher as they grey. Some of us have skin that softens and wrinkles more than others. Totally unscientific, as I've always found electrics to be shit. Even when I used one in my 30s. I had to mow my face till it was hot and sore to get just a reasonable shave. They always missed patches as well.

Welcome aboard mate.

I reckon my whiskers are getting tougher as I age and some of the real old timers complain of braided steel to contend with.

Welcome aboard mate.

I reckon my whiskers are getting tougher as I age and some of the real old timers complain of braided steel to contend with.
I'll go with this. Getting tougher. I think as more grey comes "on-line" my whiskers are toughening up. Old, dry, witherd? Bit like mostly dead tree trunks you come across in the bush.

Welcome mate!

Not sure if beards get tougher or we just get wiser ;)

Anyway - DE will produce a much better result than electric with a modicum of effort.

Welcome aboard mate. You've got some catching up to do, so skip the DEs and SEs altogether. A keen straight will laugh in the wake of the steeliest of beards. ;)

Welcome to the fun @DrBob and enjoy your journey!

Welcome mate.

Hope the C&E soap works out for you. I couldn't get mine to lather well, but hopefully you get different results.

If you find its not working out well, take a look at Shaver Heaven. It's an Aussie made soap that's as good as anything you can buy world wide. @Anthony, the guy who makes the stuff, is super useful and will help you find a scent which works for you.

@DrBob I don't know about aging beards but I do know that you're face will enjoy the switch! We look forward to hearing about your experience of learning to use a DE on the Shave of the Day (SOTD) thread. [emoji106]

Welcome to the insanity, hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful :)

Welcome mate.

Hope the C&E soap works out for you. I couldn't get mine to lather well, but hopefully you get different results.

If you find its not working out well, take a look at Shaver Heaven. It's an Aussie made soap that's as good as anything you can buy world wide. @Anthony, the guy who makes the stuff, is super useful and will help you find a scent which works for you.

Thanks. I always worry when my wife with the best of intentions buys me something before I finish researching it! It's a bit like her buying me something for my computer - "But it's such a lovely color!" (I do love her though - today is our 35th wedding anniversary). I had read that they weren't the greatest, but at least I have somewhere to start practising!

Thanks for the recomendation, I'll have a look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.