January 2013 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think those aren't unoffical rules that still exist to this day?

You think those aren't unoffical rules that still exist to this day?

I'm not sure I would say that - but you would not print them on the product any more!

I think out in the US where you have the huge purchasing power of companies like Walmart and Amazon that is less true than in Australia.

Here distributors seem to set artifically high RRP's and set their selling price to retailers accordingly, and then go crying back to the original manufacturer when we, the customer, get savvy and start sourcing products cheaper from places like the massive companies mentioned above.

Yes I laugh (when I'm not crying) at Gerry's regular whinges about GST on imports.

The times I've purchased from overseas the difference has been more like 50% than 10%!

Especially for Gillette Spoilers :)

Glen,

You may know this.

On the box in the first picture 13/- is handwritten - I presume that this is a price in pre-decimal currency. What it is and how does it compare to the 7'6 on the price ticket of the set that Achim has that I linked to? I'm presuming that it is double the price or thereabouts?

Glen,

You may know this.

On the box in the first picture 13/- is handwritten - I presume that this is a price in pre-decimal currency. What it is and how does it compare to the 7'6 on the price ticket of the set that Achim has that I linked to? I'm presuming that it is double the price or thereabouts?

Showing my age but 7'6 would be 7 shillings and sixpence. If you doubled that for comparison purposes you would get 15 shillings so Achims purchase was a little more than 50% of yours. Ah the joys of pounds shillings and pence (which by the way I had learn at the age of 11 when I arrived in New Zealand) the glories of the ha'penny the thruppny bit the florin and half crown. What sweet memories until you had to try and do maths with the bloody stuff.

Showing my age but 7'6 would be 7 shillings and sixpence. If you doubled that for comparison purposes you would get 15 shillings so Achims purchase was a little more than 50% of yours. Ah the joys of pounds shillings and pence (which by the way I had learn at the age of 11 when I arrived in New Zealand) the glories of the ha'penny the thruppny bit the florin and half crown. What sweet memories until you had to try and do maths with the bloody stuff.

THE MAN IS A GENIUS!

Not only does he invent the world famous Thomas Method but he understand money in a way unfathomable to a mere accountant such as myself!

Thanks mate

THE MAN IS A GENIUS!

Not only does he invent the world famous Thomas Method but he understand money in a way unfathomable to a mere accountant such as myself!

Thanks mate

Suitable blushes (I take any compliments I can get) :)
It brings back such nostalgic memories of first year in NZ facing maths such as if you can buy 2 eggs for tuppence ha'penny how many can you get for half a crown and how much change would you have left. I could only manage that sort of stuff early on by reducing problems like that to all ha'pennys and going from there.

Where were you before then?

Your username suggests a certain heritage that would have had the same monetary system.

IMG_20130116_134634.jpg

Got this little bloke on a whim- was already placing an Amazon order and at $10 for a badger who was I to say no?

Not massive, but it is fairly dense which is what I like in a brush. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Ah the famous Tweezerman Badger......lots of great reviews around about it being one of the best bang for buck entry level buys. Hard to imagine you'll regret the buy. Well done. :)

Does it count as an acquisition if your Mrs lost the product for you for 5 months?

I've just done a Mark and discovered something I'd pretty much forgotten I owned: a 1/4 litre of Tabac A/S.

I've just tried it for the first time tonight, and I don't think I like it. I'm willing to give it another try, but if Mrs Egg is not in favour of it I will move it on.

Something cool came in the mail today :)

Made in England fat handle Tech, complete with bakelite case. No, it isn't a 'Hybrid Tech' but given that they sell for around twenty times the price that I paid for this...I'm happy.

Looking forward to seeing how it cleans up. Love the case too- can see myself actually using it when travelling.

Something cool came in the mail today :)

Made in England fat handle Tech, complete with bakelite case. No, it isn't a 'Hybrid Tech' but given that they sell for around twenty times the price that I paid for this...I'm happy.

Looking forward to seeing how it cleans up. Love the case too- can see myself actually using it when travelling.

Nice fat-handled Tech from the 1940s from memory. The case is plastic not bakelite which is a GOOD thing - more flexible and less likely to be damaged - a nice pickup!

Techs are a nice workhorse, no bull razor. Got a birth year/quarter one myself. Time to dig it out!

Does it count as an acquisition if your Mrs lost the product for you for 5 months?

I've just done a Mark and discovered something I'd pretty much forgotten I owned: a 1/4 litre of Tabac A/S.

I've just tried it for the first time tonight, and I don't think I like it. I'm willing to give it another try, but if Mrs Egg is not in favour of it I will move it on.

Awful stuff IMO...unless you like smelling like grampy at the mortuary.

[/drubbingimpression]

Status
Not open for further replies.