January 2016 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like Christmas came late today.

33301b80b29340265e9437a3671fba16.jpg

This arrived from The Stray Whisker today.

As well as the below from Shave Revolution.

8500b8f71f3c115893efe134199c0d07.jpg
@Hocky27. STOP NOW!

That's already a couple of years supply. Get out now before the rest of this mob completely brainwash you into spending your hard earned money hand over fist.

@Hocky27. STOP NOW!

That's already a couple of years supply. Get out now before the rest of this mob completely brainwash you into spending your hard earned money hand over fist.
Mate you're telling me.

Ive decided I now will only try new things through trading as opposed to buying!

Mate you're telling me.

Ive decided I now will only try new things through trading as opposed to buying!
And who are we kidding here :D

20160118_143837 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Recent discussion with a member after a game of golf and I naturally turned the discussion to shaving the old fashioned way. Turns out he was interested in wet shaving as well and had some items he was he no longer wanted so he gave them to me. Interested in identifying the items and rough idea of age. The razor on the far right only has Made in Japan on it. I am sure the learned gentleman on this forum will be able to help. All need cleaning so advice on that will be appreciated.

Recent discussion with a member after a game of golf and I naturally turned the discussion to shaving the old fashioned way. Turns out he was interested in wet shaving as well and had some items he was he no longer wanted so he gave them to me. Interested in identifying the items and rough idea of age. The razor on the far right only has Made in Japan on it. I am sure the learned gentleman on this forum will be able to help. All need cleaning so advice on that will be appreciated.

Great score! The Schick on the left is one of the greatest razors ever made.

Nice work!

L - R:

Schick Injector - it will be a particular type but I don't know them well enough to know types
Gillette Tech - aluminum handle from the 1960s in a mismatched case. The case intrigues me a little. I think it is much older, 1920s ish and for a Single Ring from memory.
Gillette Tech - or clone! If it only has Made in Japan on it this suggests a clone. Build quality can be poor on these, watch the blade alignment if using it.

Nice work!

L - R:

Schick Injector - it will be a particular type but I don't know them well enough to know types
Gillette Tech - aluminum handle from the 1960s in a mismatched case. The case intrigues me a little. I think it is much older, 1920s ish and for a Single Ring from memory.
Gillette Tech - or clone! If it only has Made in Japan on it this suggests a clone. Build quality can be poor on these, watch the blade alignment if using it.
Thanks for the info Mark. May use the injector but not the Gillette clone or the Gillette tech. The case has King Gillette ascribed on the bottom.

Turn the Schick over and if it has a moulding line through the centre of the orange handle it is a G type. If there is no moulding mark it is an E type.

Steve

Edit to clean the Schick get an old tooth brush and a glass of boiling water.

Soak the Schick only to a depth of the round area below the connection to the handle. Don't put the whole razor in hot water. Add a good dose of dish detergent to the very hot water and then let the razor soak for 15 minutes. Remove the razor and on the old tooth brush put some plain tooth paste and work it around the razor. Careful if there is still a blade in the Schick. You have a blade holder and if it has a blade in it you can use that blade to just push out the existing blade a tiny amount and remove it with pliers.

When it is clean spray it with alcohol only on the metal parts and wipe the handle with soap and water.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mark. May use the injector but not the Gillette clone or the Gillette tech. The case has King Gillette ascribed on the bottom.

Ahhh, yes, pretty sure I've got one of those around. I just cannot recall EXACTLY what is in them normally.

Turn the Schick over and if it has a moulding line through the centre of the orange handle it is a G type. If there is no moulding mark it is an E type.

Steve

See - somebody knows! Great stuff ;)

Based on mine which is an E type, yes.

Also don't be tempted to take the head apart. Yours look like it is an E3 and the head spring is fixed.

The order (pre-sabbatical) has finally arrived!

Happy days @stillshunter! Yes, most is his including some unobtainium English Rose.

I thought I had better try the Wickhams too, the DR Harris for my travel kit and some injector blades to be included in the PCTB3A.

A big mail day with some C-O-O-L menthol soap samples arriving from the wonderful and generous @eggbert. Just the thing on an overcast and miserable CBR day!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little warmer ????

Genuinely curious, how do you come about using all that soap? Been daily wet shaving for 8 months now and I've used maybe a tub and a half from the actual shaves.
And to use even that much I would say you've been overloading the brush!

The order (pre-sabbatical) has finally arrived!

Happy days @stillshunter! Yes, most is his including some unobtainium English Rose.
I thought you didn't like rose soaps?

Have you heard any rumours about Wickhams that the rest of us should know about ? /Armageddon

Status
Not open for further replies.