July 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
zvWxCKE.jpg

I placed this order with "The Modern Man UK". They had a couple of aftershave's I was keen on buying and with free shipping on orders over AUD $30, it was a no brainer to place an order. As a heads-up, I did receive a unique 10% discount code immediately after I created an account (choosing AUD on their web-site appears to provide the best pricing). They don't have the most extensive range at the moment, but they do sell a few of the well-known commercial brands at really good pricing (i.e., DR Harris, LEA, Cella, etc.). Thought I might try something different with Men Rock, which appears to be another "UK Barber brand" (I did find one positive review on another forum) - I'm guessing this is another cream made by Creighton's (I might be wrong). In case anyone is wondering, I have now placed a couple of orders with "The Modern Man" and the service provided on all accounts has been nothing short of outstanding.

I'm looking forward to using this Vie-Long and will provide my thoughts in the coming days.

zvWxCKE.jpg

I placed this order with "The Modern Man UK". They had a couple of aftershave's I was keen on buying and with free shipping on orders over AUD $30, it was a no brainer to place an order. As a heads-up, I did receive a unique 10% discount code immediately after I created an account (choosing AUD on their web-site appears to provide the best pricing). They don't have the most extensive range at the moment, but they do sell a few of the well-known commercial brands at really good pricing (i.e., DR Harris, LEA, Cella, etc.). Thought I might try something different with Men Rock, which appears to be another "UK Barber brand" (I did find one positive review on another forum) - I'm guessing this is another cream made by Creighton's (I might be wrong). In case anyone is wondering, I have now placed a couple of orders with "The Modern Man" and the service provided on all accounts has been nothing short of outstanding.

I'm looking forward to using this Vie-Long and will provide my thoughts in the coming days.
Can I recommend giving the vie-long a good lathering in your favourite, most smelly soap beforehand.
In my experience the first few shaves with new horse are smelly

226A07F6-80D0-4B3D-96B1-6B83D1066E09_zpskxmltb8k.jpg

Turned up in the mail today just after I had read some of the horror stories last night that some of you had experienced with e-Bay.:nailbiting: It had survived the trip from Bucharest wrapped in a single piece of writing paper and a layer of bubble wrap. I was imagining all sorts of damage but it looks to be fine. :) The Japanese seem to be the best at packaging. One seller I buy from there sends air freight and wraps in multiple layers of cardboard and bubble wrap (getting close to bomb proof) with smileys and friendly messages on the packaging.
I've been hunting for one of these for months. Had my eye on one in Japan but too slow to pull the trigger.............. @Mark1966 (there's that patience problem).
One Heljestrand Mk10. Looking forward to honing this up and giving it a run.

Hey! Yes, I am still alive. Just so freaking busy at work it's not funny.

Anyway, I wanted to drop by and share my new addition;

uQ2qBlH.jpg

M&F 28mm blond, L7 in faux Tortoise. My other Sabini is a finest so decided to try the blond. Funnily enough the two knots together look identical. They are not, this one has more flow through and possibly a little less back bone due to less density. My finest is bordering on too dense, so this is good IMHO. Maybe I just lucked out but the tips have a slight bit of scritch but I am confident that will go as it breaks in. Other than that it is a stellar knot and I am one happy camper.

Catch ya round.

Nacets are pretty damned good, Mate! I like pretty much all Russian blades! I received a hundred Voskhods early this week. Terrible in my Slim but great in my Razorock Mission! Go figure! Think my next hundred will be Nacets. Got a hundred Rapira Super Stainless a couple of weeks ago. They also preferred a modern three-piece over an adjustable vintage.

Can I recommend giving the vie-long a good lathering in your favourite, most smelly soap beforehand.
In my experience the first few shaves with new horse are smelly

Thanks for the tip @Ferret619

Absolutely agree on using a pungent soap or cream for the first few lathers. The smelliness shouldn't last too long, especially if use something like Arko for the first couple of lathers. Honestly though, rather than test lather or shampoo it, I usually prefer to just use it and the smell usually dissipates over the first 2-3 uses. It probably depends on how pungent the smell will be (the only brush I really needed to shampoo was a cheap Chinese Badger brush, which honestly smelt like it arrived from some Garbage tip - This was retired many moons ago). The Vie-Long doesn't smell out-of-the-box, although I do expect it to be smelly once its wet. Will keep you posted (y)

Yesterday mail call from the US and I was very busy packing getting ready for my trip, and I've only open the RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm as my new travel brush ;)

1 x RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic 24/57mm
DSC_1640_compact.JPG
DSC_1643_compact.JPG
DSC_1642_compact.JPG
DSC_1641_compact.JPG

1 x RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic 24/57mm
DSC_1179_compact.jpg
DSC_1181_compact.jpg
DSC_1180_compact.jpg

1 x RazoRock Plissoft Bruce Handle Synthetic 24/57mm
DSC_1398_compact.JPG
DSC_1399_compact.JPG
DSC_1396_14e85b4e-828e-4586-b8f6-837d8384b863_compact.JPG

1 x RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synthetic 26/63mm
DSC_1484_compact.JPG
DSC_1485_compact.JPG
DSC_1486_compact.JPG

Id2ObSu.jpg

After this mornings Stray Whisker Sale order, the Chatillon Lux 2nd Birthday LE's landed too...Christmas in July indeed!

WOW - so how are you going to calculate the enjoyment of this bunch? ;)

image hosting facebook

Very much getting the splashes of these. Love them both, but the spice was a blind buy. Very good (more refined, cologne like version of Stirling barbershop to my nose).
I have the splash and love it. I use it at least a couple of times a week. I'm looking forward to grabbing the matching soap.

No pics ,.. we know what they look like

Squadron Soaps

Ad Astra
Group Captains Blend (old style tin)
Ace

and a sample of Ace After Shave. I am liking the smell of all of them. I was concerned over the tobacco scent of Group Captains Blend but it is quite likeable and not strong at all. Can't wait to give one of them a whirl tomorrow morning. My feeling is it will be Group Captains Blend. Thanks @SchoolForAnts

Status
Not open for further replies.