June 2018 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
5UrZLjQl.jpg

Some blades! Thanks @Nightguard , oh and for the couple of extra's too.:)
Welcome to the Vintage English Wilky Club :happy:

I really enjoy the English Wilky blades and I get 10 max shaves per blade as YMMV, their fantastic and far better than the modern Germans, Chinese and India Wilkinson blade.

Last edited:
2escbv4.jpg
owKpuIg.jpg

Morris & Forndran 2XL 28mm
Finest hair
Hybrid knot.
After a 21 week wait it's here. I ordered the above brush and Lee made a slight error and filled it with a blonde bulb knot. I said to Brad that I was happy to take it anyway. Then about an hour later Brad emailed me to say Nancy had reminded him that Lee had 2 2XL handles in disco already in his possession and he would ask Lee to fill one with the correct knot and send it straight over, which he did.
So I'm a very happy customer.

My work colleague does the garage sale thing every weekend. These were his latest finds.
Do you think they are worth keeping? They need a rather deep clean. Not sure how bad the rust is.

At a glance:
  • Some kind of SB Tech
  • Some kind of OC Tech clone?
  • A Schick Krona
  • 2 Gillette Slims - identical. No number on base. One in slightly better condition.
hsC9MZel.jpg

My work colleague does the garage sale thing every weekend. These were his latest finds.
Do you think they are worth keeping? They need a rather deep clean. Not sure how bad the rust is.

At a glance:
  • Some kind of SB Tech
  • A Schick Krona
  • 2 Gillette Slims - identical. No number on base. One in slightly better condition.
hsC9MZel.jpg
I think can see you've got a thin handle English made Gillette flat bottom tech

At a glance:
  • Some kind of SB Tech
  • A Schick Krona
hsC9MZel.jpg
mmmmmmmmm they just need some TLC & loving ........................

mmmmmmmmm they just need some TLC & loving ........................
That's what I was hoping to hear! :)

A lot of the worst looking muck seems to come off with a finger-nail. So, I feel it's worth trying.

At a glance:
  • Some kind of SB Tech
  • A Schick Krona
hsC9MZel.jpg

Time for you to borrow my ultrasonic!

At a glance:
  • Some kind of SB Tech
  • A Schick Krona
hsC9MZel.jpg
Update:
A few days ago my work colleague found the above vintage razors at a garage sale. It included 2 slims in a pretty ugly state.
But, there didn't appear to be anything mechanically wrong with them. So, not wanting them to end up in a bin somewhere, I bought them off him.

A weekend of elbow-grease later and this is the result:
m6sAy73l.jpg

All the rust, scum, and discolouration is gone. Has some minor pitting and scratches. But, the mechanisms seem great and even the numbers came good. Given they're ~55 years old, I'm pretty happy! (y)
It took all my spare time over 2 days. I did a bunch of other razors too. But, these were easily the best.
I didn't do any *advanced* restoration. I intended to go the whole hog. But, I found elbow-grease got me 95% of the way there. I'll try shaving with them and then I might give polishing them a go.
I didn't dare try to disassemble them. I was afraid I'd never get them back together.

I used an ultrasonic cleaner on a bunch of my 3-piece razors and it made a visible difference... This thing is LOUD! It scared the absolute sh*t out of the cats who were sitting a few meters away. I've never seen them run so fast!
I didn't use the ultrasonic on the Slims because I didn't want to risk damaging the enamel numbers.

Turns out I now have 4 Techs in various states. I'm surprised how well they cleaned-up. But, some of them have pretty bad plating issues. I might look into some re-plating for them.
... The service issue handles look amazing, though!
I'm also quite certain that most of them are franken-razors. Mis-matched heads, handles and bases that just happen to fit. Oh well. They still work.

The Schick Krona head cleaned-up nicely... But, the handle not-so-much.
It has a discolouration that looks clean when wet, but then dries powdery. No amount of cleaning gets rid of it.
The handle itself also looks warped. I was devastated until I looked at some 'before' photos I took and it was clearly warped there too... Seems someone tried boiling it which affects the plastic in the handle. :facepalm:
This thing really needs a metal handle to do it justice... Still the head seems fine. So, I'll try shaving with it at some point to see if it's ok.

All this effort was worth it for the Slims alone. Now I just need to find a Fat Boy!

Last edited:
Update:
A few days ago my work colleague found the above vintage razors at a garage sale. It included 2 slims in a pretty ugly state.
But, there didn't appear to be anything mechanically wrong with them. So, not wanting them to end up in a bin somewhere, I bought them off him.

A weekend of elbow-grease later and this is the result:
m6sAy73l.jpg

All the rust, scum, and discolouration is gone. Has some minor pitting and scratches. But, the mechanisms seem great and even the numbers came good. Given they're ~55 years old, I'm pretty happy! (y)
It took all my spare time over 2 days. I did a bunch of other razors too. But, these were easily the best.
I didn't do any *advanced* restoration. I intended to go the whole hog. But, I found elbow-grease got me 95% of the way there. I'll try shaving with them and then I might give polishing them a go.
I didn't dare try to disassemble them. I was afraid I'd never get them back together.

I used an ultrasonic cleaner on a bunch of my 3-piece razors and it made a visible difference... This thing is LOUD! It scared the absolute sh*t out of the cats who were sitting a few meters away. I've never seen them run so fast!
I didn't use the ultrasonic on the Slims because I didn't want to risk damaging the enamel numbers.

Turns out I now have 4 Techs in various states. I'm surprised how well they cleaned-up. But, some of them have pretty bad plating issues. I might look into some re-plating for them.
... The service issue handles look amazing, though!
I'm also quite certain that most of them are franken-razors. Mis-matched heads, handles and bases that just happen to fit. Oh well. They still work.

The Schick Krona head cleaned-up nicely... But, the handle not-so-much.
It has a discolouration that looks clean when wet, but then dries powdery. No amount of cleaning gets rid of it.
The handle itself also looks warped. I was devastated until I looked at some 'before' photos I took and it was clearly warped there too... Seems someone tried boiling it which affects the plastic in the handle. :facepalm:
This thing really needs a metal handle to do it justice... Still the head seems fine. So, I'll try shaving with it at some point to see if it's ok.

All this effort was worth it for the Slims alone. Now I just need to find a Fat Boy!

Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.