just getting started

For instance, you could do worse than buy @Holiday's Alpha Claymore Evolution if the idea of a SE razor appeals. (I'm not sure if you can see the BST yet, but if you're interested, ask him.) Or for a cheaper option, the Yaqi Raster. Another suggestion, if the idea of triple-milled soaps appeals to you, I'd suggest giving D.R. Harris a try. (My pick FWIW is Windsor.)

Thanks for the plug @Gargravarr and you could do a lot worse and have to fork out mucho mulla! to do any better

I think I'll stick to the world of DE for now. I am curious though, what is the advantage of SE / why are people super keen on their SE razors?
Some would say the stiffer and longer blade makes them next best thing to a straight razor. I don't necessarily agree because many DE are just as good as SE but no safety razor is as good as a straight :)
The stiffer and wider blade is a definite advantage over DE because you cover more face (or head) with every stroke and the stiffer blade provides a firm shave
SE with thinner heads are more agile and easy to move around the face. If you have a big face or shave the dome width is a definite advantage

The one that appealed the most was the Warden, so I think I'll just wait for it to get back in stock at some point.

Good choice, favoured by many

I think I'll stick to the world of DE for now. I am curious though, what is the advantage of SE / why are people super keen on their SE razors?
From my limited experience using SE Artisan Club style razors I have found that the biggest advantage over DE razors is the blades as most SE AC razors tend to be on the milder side but having 4 main blades to select from allows one to alter the shaving efficiency considerably whilst still staying comfortable. It also helps that the blade is narrower yet wider and thicker so you get a closer shave in less passes as the razor covers greater area than a DE would.

I can get a decent shave using a DE but the variables are greater as literally hundreds of blades and razors to chose from and finding the perfect match although possible doesn't always result in a perfect shave especially if you have thick/wiry growth like I do. Also remembering that the razor + blade play one part of shaving so you also need to ensure adequate preparation, hydration, lather and technique if you want a superior shave... YMMV (y)

From my limited experience using SE Artisan Club style razors I have found that the biggest advantage over DE razors is the blades as most SE AC razors tend to be on the milder side but having 4 main blades to select from allows one to alter the shaving efficiency considerably whilst still staying comfortable. It also helps that the blade is narrower yet wider and thicker so you get a closer shave in less passes as the razor covers greater area than a DE would.

I can get a decent shave using a DE but the variables are greater as literally hundreds of blades and razors to chose from and finding the perfect match although possible doesn't always result in a perfect shave especially if you have thick/wiry growth like I do. Also remembering that the razor + blade play one part of shaving so you also need to ensure adequate preparation, hydration, lather and technique if you want a superior shave... YMMV (y)

Any suggestions for 'perfect' technique and lathering tutorials?

Shaved with the final cut for the first time a few days ago with a Derby Premium and was super snatchy and irritating on my neck.

Any suggestions for 'perfect' technique and lathering tutorials?

Shaved with the final cut for the first time a few days ago with a Derby Premium and was super snatchy and irritating on my neck.
Try riding the top cap for a while throughout your whole shave, before, you start learning different angles.

I would strongly recommend you start using a middle of the road everyday blade

images

Once you've got really good with standard WTG, XTG and ATG strokes, you might be interested to try the so-called Gillette Slide (google it). For a short while I thought I had evolved the technique by myself, but of course I was mistaken. Careful how you go though, it's easy to accidentally make a long and bloody incision.

Ok, shaved today - Jack the Barber Soap, Yaqi Final Cut Razor @ 2 w. Wilkinson Sword (2nd use), Yaqi Black Knight Brush 24mm with Plisson knot. Took a bit of time to ensure the razor was set straight - it's strange to me that razors don't perfectly align every time by themselves (I guess the better razors do? The Homelike stainless steel looks really nice... but sounds like they can't ship anywhere yet due to geopolitics and all that). Went much better than last time, with some Alum feedback in different spots, and irritation on the vertical neck, but no knicks and I don't think any weepers? not sure exactly what qualifies as a weeper not. 2 pass, prob need to go ATG under the chin to get a closer finish there, but happy to stop and let the skin be happy for now.

The Barrister and Mann arrived today - it's nice, tried creating some lather with it, and still working out the pickup with a brush and how what the brush should look like, but I like the feel of the soap. I'm not sure it produces significantly more lubricity than the Jack the Barber stuff - when both are lathered well they both have a very pleasing slickness and stickiness, though the Barrister and Mann gave more stickiness/gooeyness when doing the pull the soap away from each other between the hands thingo, but I'll see when I shave next. Think I'll swap to Barrister and Mann and stick to Wilkinson Sword for the next one, and then swap out to Astra SP's after that.

Ok, shaved today - Jack the Barber Soap, Yaqi Final Cut Razor @ 2 w. Wilkinson Sword (2nd use), Yaqi Black Knight Brush 24mm with Plisson knot. Took a bit of time to ensure the razor was set straight - it's strange to me that razors don't perfectly align every time by themselves (I guess the better razors do? The Homelike stainless steel looks really nice... but sounds like they can't ship anywhere yet due to geopolitics and all that). Went much better than last time, with some Alum feedback in different spots, and irritation on the vertical neck, but no knicks and I don't think any weepers? not sure exactly what qualifies as a weeper not. 2 pass, prob need to go ATG under the chin to get a closer finish there, but happy to stop and let the skin be happy for now.

The Barrister and Mann arrived today (Thanks VSHOD! - great service!) - it's nice, tried creating some lather with it, and still working out the pickup with a brush and how what the brush should look like, but I like the feel of the soap. I'm not sure it produces significantly more lubricity than the Jack the Barber stuff - when both are lathered well they both have a very pleasing slickness and stickiness, though the Barrister and Mann gave more stickiness/gooeyness when doing the pull the soap away from each other between the hands thingo, but I'll see when I shave next. Think I'll swap to Barrister and Mann and stick to Wilkinson Sword for the next one, and then swap out to Astra SP's after that.