Local reknots

Had been thinking the same myself - so great idea and look forward to seeing how you go with it. Not a bad looking handle, they seem the hardest thing to source.

I like the look of this.... give it a hard time for a few years and then reknot it later on....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-VINTAGE-70s-SHAVING-BRUSH-BRISTLES-GILLETTE-STANDARD-UNUSED-/321523360180

I agree 100% that its a nice looking handle.

Haha but thats where we'll have to change paths as for $USD65 I'm significantly loosing my wood for it. Using a fairly mediocre bristle for yrs then facing another ~$USD40 charge to replace with a TGN Finest or similar plus the uncertainty of having to drill out the old knot etc. Gee thats living dangerous IMHO - all those vintage blades buys have turned you into a riverboat gambler.

I'm resolved. My next shaving purchase (…well substantial shaving purchase) is going to be a reknot. Not a ready-made but a DIY job. I'll source the handle with some gunky looking thin hair in it, drill it, clean it out and test the heights of TGN Finest F2 knot, then set it where I like. Step one is to source the used handle.

So any hints on what to look out for - and more importably avoid - with my first handle?
I've seen a few that say "Rubber Set" is this a no-no or a plus?
I'm avoiding wood, but is there ay resin to watch out for? For example, what is wrong with something like this?
$_57.JPG

Sorry to be vague, not doing it deliberately, just operating from a base zero and so need to work my way up from down here. I want the first knot to be a little bit of a challenge but not simply a romp into inevitable disaster. Also want a turn of handle I like too…

Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with that at all. The only slight drawback would be that you have to be careful drilling it out and removing all the bristle and glue. The black section is actually just the inside of the aperture painted black. After removing the knot you will have to sand the inside to get a smooth finish, paint it and then set your knot. Just have to be a bit more careful than with a handle that's opaque from top to bottom where it doesn't really matter what damage you do to the inside. Beautiful handle by the way. What's the make?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that at all. The only slight drawback would be that you have to be careful drilling it out and removing all the bristle and glue. The black section is actually just the inside of the aperture painted black. After removing the knot you will have to sand the inside to get a smooth finish, paint it and then set your knot. Just have to be a bit more careful than with a handle that's opaque from top to bottom where it doesn't really matter what damage you do the inside. Beautiful handle by the way. What's the make?
Damn! This listing passed and I didn't bid on it on Bay….I think it went for a song. I'll see if I can dig up a cached copy of the listing to get the brand and more detail. Be back shortly.

As I suspected it was a Fuller.

Here's the expired listing….with a free letter opener

Dredging up the past...

There are loads of really nice looking handles.
Could you point me in the right direction?

And while we are on the topic, does anyone here in Oz turn shaving brush handles?

Jeez you must be bored today mate. Two thread Lazarus in so many minutes
Yeah. Broken foot and can't go anywhere...

Hey! You responded quickly... In the same boat... [emoji57]

Just thinking of making a brush- as you do...

Yes about a quarter turn each day. Keeps the wear on them even....
Smart@ss...
Go back to YKW. Although they'd debate you for pages on the quarter turn. Half is best...

Hey! You responded quickly... In the same boat... [emoji57]
Nah, just put in some posts and waiting for the quickset to dry.

Just thinking of making a brush- as you do...
More detail....

Smart@ss...
Go back to YKW. Although they'd debate you for pages on the quarter turn. Half is best...
What you don't turn your brushes. Philistine!

Mate why not just drill out an old handle rather than getting a new turn. Some nice ones out there begging for a TGN. I had a nice Erskine like that...

Mate why not just drill out an old handle rather than getting a new turn. Some nice ones out there begging for a TGN. I had a nice Erskine like that...
I don't think you've kept a reknot in your lineup good sir...

Yep, I guess there are some good'uns out there. I just haven't found any yet. I'm the supermarket hunter-gatherer kind of brush maker...

Quite a few brushes once you start looking. Most happen to be overseas.
Bakelite always looks good but I think reknotting would be tricky for the first timer.

Quite a few brushes once you start looking. Most happen to be overseas.
Bakelite always looks good but I think reknotting would be tricky for the first timer.
Can't believe I'm actually saying this but I think this is where "we need PJ".

Paging @Pjotr, checkout four please, @Pjotr checkout four

You might as a first timer want to stay clear of handles with a metallic ridge as in your link. You really need to reuse it as the handle generally has been designed for one. I think they look fantastic but getting them out in one piece can be tricky. If it's a cup as they use at Semoque and Omega you have to destroy it to remove the old knot. However if it's an old handle where animal or "rubber" glue was used things tend to get easier.

On the whole unless you're really confident, maybe as your first one get hold of a cheapie handle just in case it all goes pear shaped. It's all pretty easy if you have a bit of patience. I've also got a few smallish (16 and 18mm) finest knots left over from previous re-knots. If that's the size you're looking for let me know.

Personally I've always used hand tools. Sharp knife, small chisel and a range of different diameter wooden dowels with sandpaper glued on to clean or ream the aperture out if needed. Of course you can use a dremel for all this but a decent one ain't exactly cheap and it's messy. Also, one slip with a dremel and that's probably all she wrote.

Last edited:
You might as a first timer want to stay clear of handles with a metallic ridge as in your link. You really need to reuse it as the handle generally has been designed for one. I think they look fantastic but getting them out in one piece can be tricky. If it's a cup as they use at Semoque and Omega you have to destroy it to remove the old knot. However if it's an old handle where animal or "rubber" glue was used things tend to get easier.

So maybe look for a RubberSet then @Pjotr ?

I really like this brush...I'll also keep the Wilkies, but someone else can have the Slim! ;)

On the whole unless you're really confident, maybe as your first one get hold of a cheapie handle just in case it all goes pear shaped. It's all pretty easy if you have a bit of patience. I've also got a few smallish (16 and 18mm) finest knots left over from previous re-knots. If that's the size you're looking for let me know.

Personally I've always used hand tools. Sharp knife, small chisel and a range of different diameter wooden dowels with sandpaper glued on to clean or ream the aperture out if needed. Of course you can use a dremel for all this but a decent one ain't exactly cheap and it's messy. Also, one slip with a dremel and that's probably all she wrote.
Thanks for the advice @Pjtor! I think I'll pick up some cheap Ever Ready brushes from the states and go from there. Based on what you've said, and the tools you've used, I might give it a crack. [emoji106]