Local reknots

Plenty of these brushes around...

You broke your foot??? Sorry to hear that.

I might have some handles looking for a reknot

Thanks for the advice @Pjtor! I think I'll pick up some cheap Ever Ready brushes from the states and go from there. Based on what you've said, and the tools you've used, I might give it a crack. [emoji106]
Hey Filo. Mate if you're keen we could learn together? Maybe bulk buy a few brushes and TGN knots and split them and work through them on here.
Or you could tell me to shove it. Either way, I'm good.

Hey Filo. Mate if you're keen we could learn together? Maybe bulk buy a few brushes and TGN knots and split them and work through them on here.
Happy to. Although living in different cities might make some of it difficult. Sourcing old brushes would be best to leave to each other due to personal taste. But it would be good to buy the knots together to save on postage costs. [emoji106]

Was going to reknot all these as my second seven day set - like the Rubberset ones -

Some butterscotch options too!

Although not sure that they NEED a reknot to be honest ...

You broke your foot??? Sorry to hear that.
Thanks mate. Yeah, broke it dodging a car that pulled out without indicating; missed him but my scooter squashed my foot.

I might have some handles looking for a reknot
You going to join in the reknotting fun? Or are you looking for someone to ReKnot now that @ptjor has pulled up stumps?

Not sure mate - have AMBITIONS of re knotting but the reality ...

Thanks for the advice @Pjtor! I think I'll pick up some cheap Ever Ready brushes from the states and go from there. Based on what you've said, and the tools you've used, I might give it a crack.
emoji106.png

No problemmo. Don't hesitate to ask. I've made all the mistakes! Check out Marks collection of Ever Readys. I've come to really like them. They're built really well. They come apart quite easily which makes the cleaning process a lot easier. The top and bottom are actually threaded together. Nice bit of bakelite/plastic engineering.

.....You going to join in the reknotting fun? Or are you looking for someone to ReKnot now that @ptjor has pulled up stumps?

I haven't pulled up stumps. Just on holiday.

Not sure mate - have AMBITIONS of re knotting but the reality ...

If you need a hand, I'll contact you when I get back. As you've said, most of those don't look like they need re-knotting. I thought you'd stopped collecting brushes. Has this hobby of yours gone underground or in to denial?

If you need a hand, I'll contact you when I get back. As you've said, most of those don't look like they need re-knotting. I thought you'd stopped collecting brushes. Has this hobby of yours gone underground or in to denial?

LOL - these are NOT new acquisitions ...

I haven't pulled up stumps. Just on holiday.
That's good to hear. [emoji106]

No problemmo. Don't hesitate to ask. I've made all the mistakes! Check out Marks collection of Ever Readys. I've come to really like them. They're built really well. They come apart quite easily which makes the cleaning process a lot easier. The top and bottom are actually threaded together. Nice bit of bakelite/plastic engineering.
Great! I've got one or two Ever Readys in the way over. Nothing as nice as Mark's but they'll be good to get started on.

@Mark1966 what's the height and knot width for the blue and white one and the talll butterscotch ?
Really do wish you come afford some time away from netball over the coming weekend, as I've something to loan you and opinions to seek upon others.

@Mark1966 what's the height and knot width for the blue and white one and the talll butterscotch ?
Really do wish you come afford some time away from netball over the coming weekend, as I've something to loan you and opinions to seek upon others.

I'll have to check mate. Chase me if I'm slow getting back.

Unfortunately I'm really slammed over the next week or two with some deadlines so any spare time is going into that :(

I've knotted new handles and reknotted a few old ones, so these are just some random hints.
Hard to find old brushes in op shops. They say that health laws prevent them from selling them. Actually that's probably not correct but they believe it so no go.
Whipped dog handles are nice but basic plastic resin and the hole sizes can be out by a couple of mm's.
The olive wood handles can be really nicely figured BUT its pot luck. They are not sealed well so they need to be refinished first, I did mine in epoxy resin and they came up really nicely.
Dremel type rotary tool is your friend in removing old knots. Go slow, be patient, wear a mask.
Knots on eBay vary considerably. Virginia Sheng is very good, especially the extra density stuff. She is not user friendly when it comes to questions etc. Ace Shaving is generally a step down but still very good in the better knots. The others should be given a miss.

I've knotted new handles and reknotted a few old ones, so these are just some random hints.
Hard to find old brushes in op shops. They say that health laws prevent them from selling them. Actually that's probably not correct but they believe it so no go.
Whipped dog handles are nice but basic plastic resin and the hole sizes can be out by a couple of mm's.
The olive wood handles can be really nicely figured BUT its pot luck. They are not sealed well so they need to be refinished first, I did mine in epoxy resin and they came up really nicely.
Dremel type rotary tool is your friend in removing old knots. Go slow, be patient, wear a mask.
Knots on eBay vary considerably. Virginia Sheng is very good, especially the extra density stuff. She is not user friendly when it comes to questions etc. Ace Shaving is generally a step down but still very good in the better knots. The others should be given a miss.
Thanks @otblue for your tips. Helpful.

I've already figured a rotary tool would be helpful.

I'm going to go straight to TGN for knots and not muck around. I think an old brush deserves a decent badger rather than a cheap synthetic.

From my trawls of antique stores over the years, old brushes are hard to find. So I haven't wasted time searching and have sourced them direct from the States. Plenty of good vintage brushes that deserve a new lease of life.

I'm not bothering with Whipped Dog or newly turned wood handles either. I can simply buy a new brush if I want, but I'm more interested in giving life to old brushes. They have so much character and often look far better than most modern brushes.

I'll keep you all posted how I get on.