Looking to buy an MTB...

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Do we have any riders on here?

Looking to buy an MTB for fitness rather than competitions or anything remotely serious. Might go down the odd trail but most of it will be bike paths and bike routes in suburbia. Expecting that the duty would be fairly light in all honesty.

Been looking around and found a 2014 Scott Aspect 950 for $499 (2015 model is $799) which is a cracking price. They also have the 2014 model Aspect 940 at $799 (normally $999) which includes a better fork & hydro disc brakes. Got to say I like the hydraulics more than the cable - much more progressive bite.

Same shop has an older model, it is a 2012 Haro Flightline 29 Sport which seems to have all-round better components for $599 including a hydro discs, full SRAM driveline, and a remote-lockout 80mm travel Rockshox rather than the usual Suntour fork which most bikes have. The Suntours are looked down upon as a bit rubbish. There is also the 2012 Haro Flightline 29 Pro which has the full-house 32mm/110mm travel remote lockout RockShox and another bump up on the components.

Right now I am looking at price over performance, but I know that either of the Haro's would probably last me years whereas the Scott 950 I would probably want to upgrade something in 18 months or so - either the shock or the brakes to hydraulic disc.

Anyone got some comments or suggestions to look at? Mainly looking at Sydney shops but happy to venture a bit further afield - Wollongong, Gosford.

Rode for ten years and worked at dirt works for one.

An excellent brand to consider is Giant. They are great all round value.

If your riding is not going to be demanding your frame won't have to be expensive, but the cheaper ones may be heavier - I don't know about the two your looking at. Rockshox over suntour is like Porsche to Kia - definitely worth the penny's.

Get last years models if you can, second hand is even better there are many great deals. Make sure your money goes into the drive chain first and forks, these things you'll notice every minute your riding.

I'd look for a second hand Giant myself, Specialized is also a great brand but not as good value running gear. Happy to look around or make suggestions if you want any :)

Try riding them before committing to buy.

I was going to suggest a flat bar roadbike or hybrid rather than a mtb if you're not going to be going down tracks all the time. Slimmer tyres mean you can ride a lot quicker when on paths or roads, and, as long as you don't choose a very fragile bike, should be able to handle the odd track or two (mainly the hybrid there).
I bought a cheap hybrid 2nd hand at auctions (cannondale) which was only about $500 new and I far preferred riding that 10-15km to work and back than on the MTB which cost far more money.

Not tried one yet but the Indonesian brand Polygon look great value for money for the components you get. Whether the frame is as good, I'm not sure.
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/path-pavement-bikes/

Last edited:
I would suggest a flat bar road bike too. I have an MTB and the tyres are not built for paths. They're fat and bouncy and slow. You'll work harder though, if that's what you're after.

Just find something with reasonable, not the cheapest, running gear. The expensive stuff is all diminished returns IMO. May be required for comp riders, but overkill for the rest of us.

All the replies are excellent but I would strongly concur to avoida MTB unless you are 100% certain to ridemainly trails,and you have already said if anything the opposite will be the case.

Likewise hybrids, especially the entry level ones are to be avoided.

For the average recreational rider a flat bar roadbikeis the best choice by far. Depending on the rimsyou might be able to have the store putsome marginally wider tyres on if it comes with real skinnies....often a 35c or 32c(what I have) is moreforgiving and suited to urban riding hazards.

2nd hand is best bang for buck, you are SYD based so check gumtree, bike exchange etc. For $500 you should be able to get a quality bike that sold for nearly twice plus that. Lower priced storestuff is often made to priceand pretty crappy...e.g repairing etc not viable, so quality 2nd hand better IMHO if you can be patient. Plus enthusiast riders will have cared for bike very well.

Remember to budget for a quality helmet, minimum rear strobe maybe front to if you anticipate early/late rides, lock, floor pump etc etc. But definitely avoid MTB and hybrid heavy and not rights tools for what u willdo 95% of the time.

I've got a road bike... The advantage of a MTB or even a hybrid is that you have the option to ride off road, even for a little bit. A road bike is very difficult on even the most basic off-road environment - they really are built only for the road or sealed bike paths, as the thin tires puncture very easily off road, and have no grip or stability.

Don't forget the lime green lycra. It's very flattering.
Monsta the MAMIL*?!??! [emoji605]

(*Middle Aged Man In Lycra) [emoji6]

No, the MTB is my thing as I am too hard on road bikes. Did try it one upon a time but killed too many tyres and rims. I like going up and down gutters without consideration. So yeah, an MTB is much better for me as a rider.

Without a doubt, some of the hybrids can be very good, however that is a compromise I do not wish to make.

It will mostly be off-road stuff, but on cycle paths which have varying quality in Sydney. Some are dirt and rather rough - not what you would take a road bike onto. Also across parks, hiking trails andhopefully some beaches too.

Monsta the MAMIL*?!??! [emoji605]

Nah, I don't do lycra.

My 2c - spend the money on frame & forks. Everything else is a consumable (wheels, tyres, crankset, chain, cassette).

I'm looking at a Giant Revolt 1 to supplement my 29er MTB (Genesis Mantle 10 - brakes, crankset, chain, cassette & wheels upgraded as I wore 'em out - bought at the local bike recycling project (training for ex-crims) for around 30% the price of the same bike new)

I don't do Lycra either (at least not so anyone would know - undershorts only and that is only because to get a padded undercarriage in shorts you have a choice of Lycra or foxtrot Oscar)

At this stage I think the Scott Aspect 950 is the best for me thus far, mainly in geometry and riding position. The 940 is the same bike but I need a medium frame and the 940s on the floor were L and XL.

Another one I want to look at is the Specialized Hardrock Disc 29 which is similar money to the Scott Aspect 950. Again it seems to be a popular choice in brand as the frame is fairly strong and takes a beating.

I'm thinking I might keep this one as cheap as I can, swap it over to slicks in 12 months time and get another slightly more serious MTB.

Doesn't have to be fully slick slicks - can simply be narrower CX (as opposed to XC) tyres.

Check the range of widths the rims will accommodate though - be a pain in the wallet not to be able to go narrower (or as narrow as you want) without swapping wheels too.

Even if I do need some rims for it, makes it an easy swap between the two.

I bought a flat bar road bike for commuting a few years ago when I lost my license and it did the job well, however as for a fitness/hobby rider, I don't like it and would much prefer a real road bike. But it seems you are sitting on the other side of the fence to me, I at first avoided the road bike because I didn't want to wear cleats and also wanted to ride on dirt/grass as I wasn't keen on riding on the road in Sydney where I lived at the time. Now I'm back out of the city and would only be riding for leisure, not commuting I wouldn't mind the road bike, it helps we have good cycle paths also. All I can suggest is try them ALL, a decent bike shop will let you ride various bikes and help you size up and find what you need, they cannot, decide for you, and sadly you probably can't either until you have owned/ridden it for some time. Try Gumtree Maybe?

I have had a look on Gumtree and also the other sites like BikeExchange for private sales and for the most part, the frames are the wrong size for me anyway. I am going to need a medium and most I have found are large or bigger. There are some great bargains on there, no doubt.

The other issue is that many of the 29er MTB's are being upgraded as the newer ones have a much better geometry in the 2014/15 frames. The older ones feel very high and top-heavy. The newer ones have shortened rear wheel struts and are quite compact with the seat right on the tyre almost.

At least with a new bike I will have some peace of mind with servicing thrown in for 12 months and some parts warranty if something does break. They really aren't expensive bikes in the ranges I am looking at and should last me a while.

Free Servicing is handy as most new riders are lost trying to adjust their front -rear derailleurs etc. Use that 12mths to tool up your basic maintenance skills as it makes a huge difference.

Keep an eye out for big sales at Chain Reaction in UK to get cheap accessories etc

A woman up the road from me has a 29er and she looks like she's on a clown's bike (she's around 1.55-1.60 tall) even though its the smallest frame available as a 29er - I'm 1.95 and look like a clown on a 26er...

I'm riding around on an XL framed 29er (2013 edition) - I think it's the first bike I've owned since I was a kid that I didn't have to get a longer seat post as the first purchase. Geometry change wasn't a huge concern to me, because I'm not Danny MacAskill ;)

Clipless clippy in pedals are the nuts though :)