Looking to buy an MTB...

Well, I went and got it today.

BikePickup.jpg

Crappy phone shot but whatever. Waiting at the station after getting it.

2014 Scott Aspect 940. It's a 29er, bog standard for now. That and a helmet, got change from $800.

Didn't get a 950 like I planned as they only had them in small frames and it just didn't suit me. Jumped on the 940 in a large frame and fit was pretty good so went with it.

Now to get all the normal requirements - quality lock, pump, water bottle & cage, lights all round, phone holder. Will probably get some different pedals but these are metal so good for a while I think.

I've just clocked up 10000km on my 29er - taken less than a year to do...

Bike slush fund is ready for the right offer to come along (wife thinks I'm looking at a £700 bike (Revolt 3)... I'm looking 2 models up the range (Revolt 1) at £1k so splitting the difference and looking/waiting for a 15%+ off promo)... No rush... Yet.

Did a 19km ride this arvo down along the Cooks River paths for those of you that know the area. Covered it in an hour flat - not the greatest but its ok for a first ride.

Certainly will be interesting to see my sector times come down a bit over the next few weeks.

Did a 19km ride this arvo down along the Cooks River paths for those of you that know the area. Covered it in an hour flat - not the greatest but its ok for a first ride.

Certainly will be interesting to see my sector times come down a bit over the next few weeks.
Down past the airport and back?

Down past the airport and back?

Didn't get that far - Illawarra Rd and turned around, although came back up as far a Georges River Rd at Enfield.

Small steps to start with, will need to build it up for a while. I think the last time I got on a bike was something like 12 years ago, and that one wasn't even mine.

Mention which pubs you started, turned around, and finished at and he might have some idea where you went.

....and that one wasn't even mine.

Just remember too - you go faster and further on stolen ones, so it might take some time ...

Just remember too - you go faster and further on stolen ones, so it might take some time ...
Exactly what I was thinking...

Joining the International Pogotonomical Union of Stravaists? Or setting up a rival Antipodean org? :)

No, that's where my main group of riders are. No need for a P&C club IMO but if someone else creates it then I would probably join it.

Edit: Screw it, created club.

Last edited:
Bad ride tonight. Low on hydration, got some spasm in my abs (which I need to work on, developed a belly) and generally my muscles didn't like it at the 2.5-3k mark. Second ride blues.

Stretched it and took it easy, didn't clock up 7ks. Mate of mine did 30km in the same amount of time tonight which was gutting to say the least.

Might go for a small ride in the morning if up early enough.

Nice ride Monsta, Scott are great bikes. You'll get the best gains over the next few months, every ride will be easier/longer etc

Nice you got a bell for that price too.

Just don't ask him if you can ring it...

Nice ride Monsta, Scott are great bikes. You'll get the best gains over the next few months, every ride will be easier/longer etc

Nice you got a bell for that price too.

Thanks - The Scott was recommended to me by my best mate - although I wanted a 29er this was in stock and sized correctly for me, also last year's model so it was $200 off and all the fruit like the Hydro disc brakes.

The 29 they had in stock was a large and I really needed a medium in that, but on the 27.5 the large frame was fine. I am certainly not competitive and it is never going to be pushed too hard so a 27.5 can deal with teh twisty stuff on a hill while rolling nice r than the old 26" on the paths. Likely that I will end up moving it to it slicks and end up with a Hybrid later on.

It is going to be a long slog as I try to push my body into responding to the activity. The whole point was to get a bit of aerobic fitness before I go out and start running again but I may need to alternate my days, ride one night, run the next. I used to be very fit, then kids happened.

The best part is my other half who I am hard pressed to walk up a hill to get Gelato (and Gelato Messina at that) is also now looking at a bike so she can come with me. Generally I will have to drive to a nice spot to ride and let her go from there - hills will be a big no-no at this stage.

Probably areas around Olympic Park and the Bay Run tracks will be favourites. Also along Cooks River - if I can get her to do the whole thing return then the next step is down the beach to Dolls point and back which should be something like 30km return. If she gets to that stage in a year - amazing

Just don't ask him if you can ring it...

That is almost the equivalent of the IPv7 comment. No clue you have, young padawan.

Protip: he isn't talking about an actual bell (but the bike did come with a ding-ding bell too).

Last edited:
Nope.... work it out for yourself. You are big enough & ugly enough :) Go back and read the thread.

Depends what a 'Service' entails. If just adjusting everything, brake shoes if required, degrease and re-lube then yeah that's ok. Mind you, it might be a bit much for a BMX, but bang-on for the Mongy.

I can't even picture you on a BMX. Your knees would be hitting your chin!

20140315_11.22.12_blowup.jpg

2000 Specialized Fatboy 415 (A fatboy that I doubt even @Mark1966 owns ;) )

MongooseTyaxSuper-1.jpg

Mongoose Tyax Super (2007 or earlier, not sure of the actual year)

Both are images used from the webnet.
Would be for the MTB, the BMX I'm saving as my project restore for a bit of nostalgic fun, rather than hardcore thrashing.

Gets easier with time. I found it hard to do 20km per day at the start. Now I count a 20km ride as a failure (like today - beaten in to submission by horizontal driving sleet in 0°C). 35km per day is the order these days (more of a weekend - especially Sundays out with the local roadie chaps on my MTB)