May 2015 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what to say. It's Dickensian. Keep the inserts/shoe horn thingos and give the shoes to the Salvation army.

And not the last I'd imagine!
Sounds like another collection of vintage items is formulating...

LOL - I was worried about what my wife would say but thankfully she loves them :)

I don't know what to say. It's Dickensian. Keep the inserts/shoe horn thingos and give the shoes to the Salvation army.

I draw the line at used underwear ;)

Seriously though - any worse than vintage brushes? These are $500 - 600 hand made English shoes that I got for $120.

All the advice says there are no health issues with vintage shoes and provided they are not too worn they will not have acquired too much of a personal adjustment from the previous owner. These have been lightly used with no perceptible unusual wear patterns. Bit stiff as not been worn much and for a while but give them a couple of weeks of semi regular wear and they will sort themselves out.

LOL - I was worried about what my wife would say but thankfully she loves them :)........

Talking of which. If your wife's interested and in the, albeit forlorn, hope I can persuade my wife, there are enough seriously nice shoes in this house to make your razor collection seem laughable.

Talking of which. If your wife's interested and in the, albeit forlorn, hope I can persuade my wife, there are enough seriously nice shoes in this house to make your razor collection seem laughable.

I'm not suggesting SHE would want vintage shoes.

Hmmm, pics of the collection possible though ? ;)

Are you kidding me? It would take me half a day to locate all of them, clear an entire floor of the house to lay them out and I doubt there's a wide angled lens in existence powerfull enough capture them.

Her name isn't Imelda by any chance is it @Pjotr ? Anyway sounds like any typical suburban housewife. :)

Got a Vitamix blender. This thing is awesome.

17661991245_581c9415e7_c.jpg

Got an almost identical one with maybe a shorter handle. I'll dig it out and have another go with it. Have always had probs with the humble 1912s but in the interest of the revitalised SE community here I'll offer up my face for practice yet again

Her name isn't Imelda by any chance is it @Pjotr ? Anyway sounds like any typical suburban housewife. :)

No doubt she's been called that before. A typical suburban housewife in terms of shoes, or anything else for that matter, she certainly is not. Aside from the time spent shopping for them (you need to really hunt here in Perth) just the sheer number of shoes and the price tags on many of them is astounding.

Last edited:
Just yesterday & today:
  • Giant 'Core' MTB pedals (Blue)
  • HTC One M9 mobile phone
  • Case for the phone
  • A few t-shirts etc for Malaysia
  • New Asics runners.
Expensive business, this 'shopping' malarkey.

A delivery from a friend in the US arrived this morning. Wow. No DE's :) A Schick "L" with a blade dispenser, a 1912, a Micromatic Open Comb and "Fanfare please" a beautiful mint 1924 Ever Ready. Also 10 new GEM SS blades. Shaved with the 1924 this morning and sensational.

Steve

A delivery from a friend in the US arrived this morning. Wow. No DE's :) A Schick "L" with a blade dispenser, a 1912, a Micromatic Open Comb and "Fanfare please" a beautiful mint 1924 Ever Ready. Also 10 new GEM SS blades. Shaved with the 1924 this morning and sensational.

Steve

Bummer that you don't live in Melbourne :(

......... Wow. No DE's ..............
Good man.
.............a Micromatic Open Comb .............
Never met but it was nice knowing you.
.......a beautiful mint 1924 Ever Ready. Also 10 new GEM SS blades. Shaved with the 1924 this morning and sensational........
What struck me about the 1924, aside from it being a tad too aggressive for me, was how much noise it made. SEs in general make a lot of racket but this thing goes off. With that front hinging cap it sort of resembles the sound box of a stringed instrument. Mine liked B flat a lot.

The 1924 is really an orchestra all on its own. While it does make a fair old noise as the whiskers are slashed it is not a noise that lacks stature and confidence. It is interesting some feel the 1924 is a tad too aggressive. I've heard that myself but have found personally it is no more aggressive than the 1912. The version I have is the flat comb which is supposed to be more aggro. All I've found with it is super smooth. Even with a short stroke though as a trial run the MMOC certainly felt like it could easily bite. I'm going to give the MMOC a trial run on the weekend.

Order it in March and receive it nearly in June?:sleep::sleep::sleep: Only fair it goes in the May thread. :confused:

See this thread for all the highs and lows in buying from the former Eastern Bloc. Suffice to say I'm going to be the duck's nuts to all the hip replacement crowd at the Thursday bowls club members mega bingo!*

IMG_0049

Including postage thats $50 worth of Czech kavorka!!! :sick: :love: :cautious:

* = NtK wishes to clarify that he has never attended such events but if he did with this stuff on he'd clean up!

Status
Not open for further replies.