Most nourishing/moisturising soap?

Alright, so where's the best place to buy the fat?

I'd recommend men's biz especially for their reasonably priced but prompt delivery. Over night to Nth QLD even. Not sure if the do that to all zones but works for me.

Also, anyone tried any post shave oils? I was looking at the sudsy soapery shave oil which can apparently be used post shave, but none of the scents really appeal to me.

Thoughts?
You snuck in 2 questions and this didn't make the title so it's flown under the radar a bit...

I have been using natural oils post-shave as part of the routine to add back moisture. If I use an oil in this way, I can use an ASB during winter and an AS splash during summer with no issues of skin drying out.

I suggest giving it a try with an oil in your kitchen before buying a scented oil.

You snuck in 2 questions and this didn't make the title so it's flown under the radar a bit...

I have been using natural oils post-shave as part of the routine to add back moisture. If I use an oil in this way, I can use an ASB during winter and an AS splash during summer with no issues of skin drying out.

I suggest giving it a try with an oil in your kitchen before buying a scented oil.

Nice, so you just rub a couple drops of EVOO (or similar) into you face after the shave and then AS splash or something? Do you apply the oil to damp or dry skin? Any other things to note?

Nice, so you just rub a couple drops of EVOO (or similar) into you face after the shave and then AS splash or something? Do you apply the oil to damp or dry skin? Any other things to note?

1. Wet your hands
2. A few drops of oil into a palm
3. Rub palms together and then across face

Leave a few minutes to absorb and then apply aftershave splash as normal.

Try a few different oils as each has a different feel and absorption rate into the skin.
EVOO is heavy and takes a while to soak in. The skin loves it though! Great for winter.
Jojoba, Argan and Almond oils are light and absorb quickly into the skin. Great for summer and leave the skin soft.

I'm sure you could use Rice Bran oil, Macadamia Nut oil and any other oils too. Most oils have a light natural scent that doesn't last long.

It really does a great job for the face.
Some like to apply the oil before the shave, but I prefer after the shave when you need to re-hydrate your skin. See what works for you.

1. Wet your hands
2. A few drops of oil into a palm
3. Rub palms together and then across face

Leave a few minutes to absorb and then apply aftershave splash as normal.

Try a few different oils as each has a different feel and absorption rate into the skin.
EVOO is heavy and takes a while to soak in. The skin loves it though! Great for winter.
Jojoba, Argan and Almond oils are light and absorb quickly into the skin. Great for summer and leave the skin soft.

I'm sure you could use Rice Bran oil, Macadamia Nut oil and any other oils too. Most oils have a light natural scent that doesn't last long.

It really does a great job for the face.
Some like to apply the oil before the shave, but I prefer after the shave when you need to re-hydrate your skin. See what works for you.
Great advice! I am about to try Emu Oil. Read a great post on this by @Draco Noir. There is some good science behind this product.
Also note that it is part of @Normie 's routine. In the reading that I have done, it seems important that you source oil produced organically at Australian farms.

Great advice! I am about to try Emu Oil. Read a great post on this by @Draco Noir. There is some good science behind this product.
Also note that it is part of @Normie 's routine. In the reading that I have done, it seems important that you source oil produced organically at Australian farms.

Well, it actually originated from @razorguy in Italy as he told us about it a couple of years back. His grandfather taught him about using EVOO.

As far as I understand, Draco, Stillsy, Alfredus, Normie, myself, etc etc took up RG's advice and adapted it with different oils...

It's fantastic - I also know a couple guys who swear by Shea Butter, then you have Macadamia Oil as well...Argan Oil... plenty to choose from.

I think at the end of the day it depends on your skin type. I'd start with a good quality EVOO - at least if it doesn't work for you, you can use it in the kitchen ;)

BTW: there also 2 thoughts, when to use it. My post shave is cold water, alum, cold water, alcohol free witch hazel, oil - again play around what works best for you (y)

I used emu oil only after alum last shave and was quite impressed. Certainty leaves the skin feeling nice and moist. And you don't need a lot of it at all. I must admit that I adopted the practice after I saw @DracoNoir's recommendation. I'm not sure if the results are "amazing". But I do know that I can now apply Clubman Pinaud without any post shave irritation after the emu oil. Previously my face would be slightly irritated by the Clubman after shave.

Two points. Learn to make your own soap and you will quickly tailor the ingredients to your liking and get a 100ml bottle add Macadamia nut oil and about 20 - 30 drops of Lemon myrtle essential oil and shake.
Make certain you get the shaving soap off your skin after the shave then lightly pat it semi dry and rub in about a 5 cent spot of the oil mix.
Lemon myrtle is superb as an antibacterial on the skin post shave.

No more dry skin.

I presume you refer to AM(SO4) 2·12H 2O in this context or AL2(SO4)3 in suspension or compression of 4% H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 or would I be way off ? :p

On a more serious note, I notice you use Argan oil post shave, what's your rationale or more specifically what benefits does it impart ?

Stick with a Balm I use either Proraso White Liquid Aftershave Balm or L'Occitan After Shave Balm keeps my skin fantastic around $24.00 to $40.00 for either

I presume you refer to AM(SO4) 2·12H 2O in this context or AL2(SO4)3 in suspension or compression of 4% H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 or would I be way off ? :p

On a more serious note, I notice you use Argan oil post shave, what's your rationale or more specifically what benefits does it impart ?

Funny you should ask that. I was just wondering if Alum, has any relation to Aluminium since aluminium is frowned upon, or was that just a thing a while back and just in cooking pots??? I'm no chemist but this compounds don't have "AI" in them.

I presume you refer to AM(SO4) 2·12H 2O in this context or AL2(SO4)3 in suspension or compression of 4% H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2 or would I be way off ? [emoji14]

I refer to the first - commonly known as alum block.

I tried Argan Oil a couple of times, because people recommend it. I still prefer olive oil, as it leaves my skin more "hydrated"
Funny you should ask that. I was just wondering if Alum, has any relation to Aluminium since aluminium is frowned upon, or was that just a thing a while back and just in cooking pots??? I'm no chemist but this compounds don't have "AI" in them.
Yes it has Aluminium in it. I explained this in another thread, but here we go again:

The possible problem with Aluminium are Organoaluminium compounds. Highly toxic and might cause brain damages. The rationale behind cooking utensils is, that at high temperatures the cooking fats and other organic cooking materials MIGHT form Organoaluminium compounds, which you then ingest and so on.

The Alum block is an inorganic Aluminium compound and as far as I know there are no known adverse effects.

Please note, that organic here does not refer to organic food (as in no pesticides etc.) but to organic compounds - also often called hydrocarbons.

So while avoiding Al pots and pans might not be a bad thing (Teflon is on the other hand really dangerous and I would definitely avoid it), the alum block is, as far as I know, perfectly safe to use.

Now with all these things, there is a big underlying problem: up until ~100 years ago toxicity studies were relatively straight forward.

First of all, there were conducted often on humans (yes I am absolutely against that, but from the results point of view, it is straight forward), and second the impacts could be seen straight away. Let's take the very common lead poisoning: you see the results pretty quickly and the symptoms are quite unique.

Today's issues are far more complex. Of course there are no more human toxicity studies (at least no known ones in the western world), but the effects of many compounds are cumulative and can only be observed over a very long period. Even cancer due to asbestos occurs often decades later, but if your Parkinson's, Alzheimer's etc stems from the Aluminium in your cooking utensils or the additives in your petrol - or the petrol itself - is nearly impossible to prove.

So my way of thinking: if it might be dangerous and you can easily avoid it - I'll avoid it.

So again: with life threatening diseases I would never even look at the ingredients list of a drug, and probably not even at the side effects.

But I really don't see the point of eating all those food additives or use cosmetic products with ingredients list even I have to look up - when there are so many alternatives relatively easily available.

Of course the big problems are the grey areas - as with everything in life. Is it better to use modern sunscreens that probably give you a better protection against skin cancer but might cause other issues 30 years down the track?

Life can be really complicated - especially if you start to think for yourself...

Cracking post @alfredus, you are a frightfully intelligent fellow when it comes to thinking critically and meaningfully, your reason encompasses the whole range of necessary issues pertaining to a subject. Very interesting reading for a Sunday.

The Alum block is an inorganic Aluminium compound and as far as I know there are no known adverse effects.

SNIP "........ but to organic compounds - also often called hydrocarbons.

You lost me right here. I have some questions if you don't mind :)

What is the importance or functional distinction between inorganic Aluminium and organic ?

Specifically, why is an inorganic aluminium compound presumed not to have the same potential toxicity/risk as an organic aluminium, and further what are Organoaluminium compounds and why do they either accrue in the human body, or, why are they toxic or harmful to humans and presumably other mammals ?

Further to this, what is a Organoaluminium compound and why should one avoid them. What is it about their structure or activity that is toxic ?

Lastly, I know alum blocks are safe and present no risk whatsoever - unless of course we have made a serious scope error which is unlikely.

Great questions @todras - I feared you would ask them :D

OK, so I will try to be as imprecise as possible in order not to loose everyone here ;)

An atom ((in this case Al) can react in many different ways - usually it depends on the form it is bound to other atoms.

So H2O - water and H2 hydrogen gas - or O2 oxygen and O3 ozone - are some common examples.

Orgonoaluminium (or more generally organometallic) compounds are compounds in which one or more carbon atom(s) of one or more hydrocarbon group is bound to an Aluminium (or other Metal) Atom - for example Tributylaluminum.

Inorganic Aluminum (or any other Metal) compounds contain no hydrocarbons bound to the metal atom. Trivially we call them also ores, alloys, minerals...mostly natural occurring substances like alum

Of course the general notion, that all inorganic Aluminium compounds are not toxic for us and all organic aluminium compounds are - is wrong (although the later is probably more true).

But again to trivialise things - all atoms and molecules want to be in their least reactive form - therefore we can generally say that minerals that have been stable for millions of years are not reactive and therefore less likely to be toxic (at least in small dosage), where as highly unstable compounds, that can be only synthesised under strict conditions (no air, no water, etc.) are unstable because they are so reactive and therefore will also react with parts of our body (usually in a negative manner).

Again this is very trivial and general and there are many exceptions - and then there is the old dosage (NaCl - salt is needed in small to medium dosages, but toxic in high dosages) question.

But what I said can be seen as a general trend - and is (as far as our current knowledge goes) true for alum vs tributylaluminum for example.

That was awesome @alfredus, and I appreciate the very simple, general and (while trivial to you) easily understood exposition to me, that you were so kind to give.... And people say law is complicated! :whistle:

I come away now with a cursory understanding of organic vs inorganic, and more relevantly the hows and why's of why alum specifically is not problematic - it's the absence of the hydrocarbon binding the aluminium that prevents the possibility of Organoaluminium being formed/occuring. Organics have the hydrocarbons, inorganics do not - mostly.

Far self-consciously misheard cried merry upset naked circa dolphin and more this gagged dived that where carelessly goodness then while the struck according and cow globefish thanks delightful much much immutably celestially slackly.

Goodness thus far some kangaroo along dangerous crookedly the convenient much cantankerous up affirmative goodness this crud rebellious furrowed hello then versus tamely preparatory less saluted shoddy.

Duteous above positive and one innocent impulsive one astride hatchet oversaw crane opposite man-of-war some some and some more until and inconspicuously and a.

Yikes expeditiously parrot so some and under understood and precarious aloofly while upset jeepers goodness oh turned aurally this toward steadily until tapir imaginative wretched and lost because over growled wow peered due cooperative bleak that grotesquely drew.