mr626's four blade review: (Perma-Sharp, Astra Blue, Treet Plat., Bic Chrome Plat.)

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hello all,

Four is a nice number I think. It is a nice number of cheeses on pizza, so it stands to reason it should be a good number of blades to review :cheesy:
Basically, I have four new kinds of blades to try that I have not tried before, and I'll document my findings here.

Here's what I'll be using for testing them out:

Basically, for each blade I will do a minimum of 3 shaves with the NEW, and 3 shaves with the 1940s Super Speed (so, will go through two blades for each review). The razors will remain constant, but I'll vary the brushes / creams that I use throughout.

Review 1: Treet Platinum

To start things off, I'll use a Treet Platinum. These are made in Pakistan, and are quite cheap in bulk (as with all the blades being reviewed, I purchased these from bestshave.net).

The bulk packaging is nothing fancy- just a cardboard dispenser containing 20 x 5 blade boxes. Each box of 5 blades is plastic-wrapped. The individual blades themselves are double wrapped in paper, with the usual wax-like paper covering the blade

This might be a minor thing, but I like that Treet doesn't use the little blobs of glue that some blade packets have. Probably just me being fussy though! Anyhow, on to the first test. Here's what I'll be using for the first shave:

Will post back with results soon.

Nice work.

I do like your reviews however a bit of constructive criticism... I like to drink bourbon when I read your reviews. It doesn't have to be anything expensive...Bookers or Blantons is fine, hell I would even accept Makers Mark.

PM Me for the address to send to.

:)

Nice work.

I do like your reviews however a bit of constructive criticism... I like to drink bourbon when I read your reviews. It doesn't have to be anything expensive...Bookers or Blantons is fine, hell I would even accept Makers Mark.

PM Me for the address to send to.

:)

And mine will be single malt preferably a nice peaty job. (Could be on to a good thing here JUG) :)

And mine will be single malt preferably a nice peaty job. (Could be on to a good thing here JUG) :)

This man knows what he is talking about.

A dram of Laphroaig is hard to beat (especially in this weather). Or Black Grouse when the bank balance is less favourable. Occasionally Talisker.

I don't object to bourbon however.

I'm with Jugs. Some Blanton's special reserve would be perfect.

Or either some Luksusowa or Zubrowka. I'm partial to my vodkas....

I've completed three shaves with the Treet, so here are my initial thoughts:

Smoothness: 7/10. No issues with tugging or nicks- these blades seem to be quite smooth and easy to use. I'd put them on par with Rapiras and Astra SP
Sharpness: 6.5/10. Sharp enough, but nothing special. Takes a little bit more effort to achieve a good shave with these than compare with something sharper like a Feather
Longevity: can't really comment properly on this as I haven't really pushed the blade. No noticeable deterioration after three shaves though
Value for money: 8/10. For the price, these are a good blade. Would choose these over any of the Lord brands (Shark, Big Ben etc). Pretty close to Rapira in bang for buck terms

These scores are likely to change as I use the blade more. Will start tomorrow with a fresh Treet in the 1940s SS.

Sorry to go off topic...

For the boys who like Blanton's make sure you check out the Blanton "Original" at Dan's - it's the brown label, rather than the green of the special reserve and is 46.5% abv. A world class whiskey and very reasonably priced IMHO.

Laphroaig is not my cup of tea. Very partial to the Lagavulin though!

PS. Good start to the review process Mr626

That's two black marks against you good sir!

Ah, all is forgiven.

As befitting my uncultured phillistine tag let me say that whiskey without doubt is the most foul tasting drink ever produced by the human race. And all these references to Laphroaig and Lagavulin sound distinctly like whiskey snobbery to me.

Discuss.....

As befitting my uncultured phillistine tag let me say that whiskey without doubt is the most foul tasting drink ever produced by the human race. And all these references to Laphroaig and Lagavulin sound distinctly like whiskey snobbery to me.

Discuss.....

Yeah whiskey is shite.

Bourbon is good.

You want something terrible try Bundy, now that is some horrible shit right there.

Single Malts are the drink of the sophisticated, urbane and mature - others need not apply

Bourbon is for boys

Bundy Red is OK

Discussion concluded now - I have spoken.

Single Malts are the drink of the sophisticated, urbane and mature - others need not apply

Bourbon is for boys

Bundy Red is OK

Discussion concluded now - I have spoken.

Well said sir - Of course the disparaging remarks came from across the great unwashed sandy desert - where I suspect the peak of urbane whisky indulgence is Johnny Walker Red and Coke. Never mind it leaves more of the finer things in life for thee and me (and let the heathens swill their metho and cats pee to their hearts content).

Like all good P&C threads - thoroughly derailed before any real content. Well done lads!

You are all wrong.
Hendrick's gin with a nice tonic is the perfect sundowner on a nice warm winters day.

By the way jug bourbon *is* whiskey isn't it? The Scottish ones are whisky.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in updates gents. Life has been very busy recently.

I've finished using the Treets and am on to the Bic Chrome. Will post some more content soon.

Cool thread man, thanks for the reviews. I'm interested to see how you go with the blue Astra SS, I think they're better than their olive green brethren. A little bit sharper, so they cut really well.

Okay, here's the conclusion to my Treet review. After finishing with the New, it was on to the 1940s SS

Scores remain unchanged. Easily got four solid shaves from this blade, could probably push to five or six if I tried.

In summary, Treets seem to be an excellent blade for the money. They are quite smooth and reasonably sharp. I think next time I use these I will try them in my Red Tip SS- blades that aren't ultra sharp seem to be a good match with the large blade gap.

Overall score for Treet: 7.5/10

Before I jump in to the next blade review, I've decided to swap out the New in the reviewing process and instead use my Slim on 5 (yes yes, changing reviewing methodologies mid review process isn't exactly scientific, but you'll get over it :cheesy:). I like the New, but I'm not sure my technique with an open comb is good enough to be fair on the blades I'm reviewing. Plus its been ages since I've used my Slim.

Anyhow, onward and upward! Bic Chrome Platinum is next:

The ones I have here are the made in Greece ones (from what I understand, they are made in a few places). Like the Treet, no annoying 'glue dot' to set off my OCD tendencies.

I have actually already completed my three shaves with this in the Slim, so here's some initial thoughts:

Smoothness: 6/10. Not terrible, but I've used a lot better. No tugging, but sometimes it feels very close to tugging. Had a few minor nicks with these.
Sharpness: 6/10. About average sharpness- roughly around Derby level or maybe even slightly less
Longevity: as before, hard to judge from 3 shaves. Of the few nicks I got from these, most of them were in the 3rd shave though.
Value for money: 6.5/10. Fairly cheap, but they aren't anything special and to my mind there are other options out there that offer better bang for buck (Rapira comes to mind).

Now trying the second Bic blade in the 1940s SS.