My first attempt at vintage razor restoration

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hi all,

Thought I'd post what I've been up to this weekend.

As mentioned in the acquisitions thread, I've just received two vintage Gillettes.

-Slim (J2)
-Super Speed Flair Tip (L2)

Some 'before' pics:

Both appear to be in good condition mechanically- the TTO works perfectly on both and the Slim's adjustable knob clicks as its meant to. The Slim is obviously the cleaner of the two.

Step 1: put both razors in the kitchen sink with some bicarb soda, aluminium foil and boiling water and leave to soak for 15 minutes. This does a good job of getting rid of a lot of the surface grime.

Step 2: rinse razors and put back in the sink, this time with hot water and a combination of white vinegar and dish washing liquid. During this stage I used a soft toothbrush to gently scrub across as much of each razor as I could easily reach. This took around 20 minutes. Once done, rinse the razors in hot water and allow to dry

Step 3: Once dry, use a fine paintbrush to apply Silvo to the razors. Then, polish using my Dick Smith rotary tool with microfibre polishing attachment.

Step 4: Wash razors in hot water with some dish washing liquid (to remove any left over polish)

Step 5: Coat the razors with WD-40 and leave to sit for 15 minutes

Step 5: Wash razors in hot water with some dish washing liquid

Step 7: Dry and then hand polish with microfibre cloth

After photos:

I'm pretty happy with the results. Yes, there are still some surface scratches etc but I plan on using these two razors so I'm not to worried about that.

These are my first vintage razors, and I didn't pay too much for them. So, I was treating the exercise as an experiment to see how good a job I could do with just items I already had around home.

What methods does everyone else use?

Looks great mate when I used to restore straights I would use autosol

I use to use autosol on a old strop in place of Chromium Oxide (hobo way)

Last edited:
They look pretty nice mate, I haven't restored any razors and probably won't.

hey Yogi, welcome back.

Looking good - great job!

Thanks all.

I think the only thing I really need to refine the process is a better microfibre polishing attachment for the rotary tool. The one I had was shedding little threads everywhere during the process.

One question for you all- the adjustment dial on the Slim seems fairly stiff. It works perfectly and clicks on every number, but I just wondered if it was normal to be stiff?

I would dump them in a jewellery polishing tub next. Aldi sometimes have them for about $50.

Similar, but they are the ultrasonic, sit it in water type.

LINK

It was even cheaper than I thought. The vibrating tumbler & media might work better though.

Thanks all.

I think the only thing I really need to refine the process is a better microfibre polishing attachment for the rotary tool. The one I had was shedding little threads everywhere during the process.

One question for you all- the adjustment dial on the Slim seems fairly stiff. It works perfectly and clicks on every number, but I just wondered if it was normal to be stiff?

Adjustment stiff- I use a little gun oil on mine . But what I've found might be the problem is moving the adjustment knob with the razor doors closed. It's easier and less stress on the mechanism if you open the doors when chging the adjustment. To oil it, i leave the doors open and add oil as it go through the numbers.

Adjustment stiff- I use a little gun oil on mine . But what I've found might be the problem is moving the adjustment knob with the razor doors closed. It's easier and less stress on the mechanism if you open the doors when chging the adjustment. To oil it, i leave the doors open and add oil as it go through the numbers.

Thanks for the tip- will keep it in mind.

Hello again. Been exploring the autosol idea. Went to eBay as local auto parts don't have it. Good thing that I did as there's more than one kind! Which one would you recommend for straight edges; and what kind for Gillettes??
Thanks.

When I tried cleaning up a straight, I just used the general metal polish one.

http://autosol.com/05/what-type-of-polish-is-right-for-you/

I think most people just use toothpaste for a DE, but I may be corrected. Considering they only have a thin plating on them you wouldn't want anything too abrasive or you would be straight through to the brass underneath.

When I tried cleaning up a straight, I just used the general metal polish one.

Autosol.com > Official Site of Autosol Metal Polish

I think most people just use toothpaste for a DE, but I may be corrected. Considering they only have a thin plating on them you wouldn't want anything too abrasive or you would be straight through to the brass underneath.

Thanks for the reminder- I did buy some whitening toothpaste for this very reason but I haven't tried it yet. Might give it a go on the second Slim that I had arrive- needs much more work than the first one.

Toothpaste is all I used.
Oh and second slim?
I see...oh no! Quit while you're ahead ;)

How do you use the toothpaste? I attempted to use some last night but I'm not quite sure how best to make use of it.

Haha, yes too late for that. I've been wet shaving for a couple of weeks, and in that time I've made two shaving.ie orders, one bestshave.net order and have around 10 vintage razors on the way. Current rationalization is a mix of 'its cheaper in the long run' and 'I'm going to make small wet shaving starter kits to give as christmas gifts'

I use an old toothbrush and just scrub the guts out of it. Also use a cloth to smear over the broader areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
A small update. I purchased some Autosol metal polish today- the tube version for $10.

This stuff is fantastic- will be using it on all vintage razors that I restore from now on. Way better than the Silvo and less mess/residue too.

As a test, I used it on a razor I recently acquired- A 1950's Flair tip super speed. This thing was pretty nasty looking when I got it, and I didn't even bother taking 'before' photos since I didn't expect it to clean up very well. But the Autosol did an amazing job- other than some plate loss/brassing on the head this razor is now gleaming like new.

Highly recommended.

Glad to here that your autosol arrived and is working well for you. Mine is still somewhere on a plane, train or boat. Hopefully soon.

Glad to here that your autosol arrived and is working well for you. Mine is still somewhere on a plane, train or boat. Hopefully soon.

Not sure where you are from, but in Australia Autosol is fairly easy to find- local auto shops sell it.