My first attempt at vintage razor restoration

I love the stuff man especially using it with a rotary buffing wheel

Now you wanna see what mcgiver can do with it and a piece of string

Okay guys, round 2 of vintage razor restoration (well okay, I've cleaned up quite a few since the original post, but this latest batch should be a challenge).

Here's my recent ebay winnings:

(3 x 1940's style Super Speed, 1 x Red Tip Super Speed).

As you can see from the pictures, they are pretty nasty looking! I'm part way through cleaning them up, but let's just say I'm glad they were all cheap because its a lot of work.

The red on the red tip has all but gone during the cleaning process- it was already less than perfect when I got the razor so I didn't take any particular care with it (if the razor was in better condition I would have taken more care obviously). As it happens, it doesn't look bad without the red coating anyway (its still nickel plated under the red, so it isn't like there is brass showing through.

I'll post some 'after' pictures when I'm done.

Okay guys, round 2 of vintage razor restoration (well okay, I've cleaned up quite a few since the original post, but this latest batch should be a challenge).

Here's my recent ebay winnings:

(3 x 1940's style Super Speed, 1 x Red Tip Super Speed).

As you can see from the pictures, they are pretty nasty looking! I'm part way through cleaning them up, but let's just say I'm glad they were all cheap because its a lot of work.

The red on the red tip has all but gone during the cleaning process- it was already less than perfect when I got the razor so I didn't take any particular care with it (if the razor was in better condition I would have taken more care obviously). As it happens, it doesn't look bad without the red coating anyway (its still nickel plated under the red, so it isn't like there is brass showing through.

I'll post some 'after' pictures when I'm done.

Looking forward to pics - you will be surprised I think!

Looking forward to pics - you will be surprised I think!

Well, not surprised but happy enough :D

The red tip had the worst brasssing of the lot (underside of the head) but other than that it has come up nicely.

Of the 40s style super speeds, two are in great condition, and one has a slightly dented end cap (which makes the TTO action a bit stiff, but should be a fairly easy fix). The extra SS in the latest pics is one I already had that needed a clean.

The red tip is fantastic- I'd love to get a better condition one of these at some point.

Know it's kind of past history but I had an opportunity to compare Maas with Autosol today on a WW1 vintage British Straight Razor that I just received in the post.
1st time I used Autosol and I'm very impressed with it. It seem to go right for the base of the rust and works it to the surface of the metal.
Maas was more of a flatware polish for removing tarnish.
Using Autosol and Mico mesh seems to be a great combination!

Here's a pic of my most recent effort- a 1940s British Fat Handle Tech.

IMG_20130122_183853.jpg

Turned out to be fairly 'user-grade' with some plate loss and lots of scratches, but it still looks pretty good and it shaves well.

Here's a pic of my most recent effort- a 1940s British Fat Handle Tech.

IMG_20130122_183853.jpg

Turned out to be fairly 'user-grade' with some plate loss and lots of scratches, but it still looks pretty good and it shaves well.

Very nice :)

Here's last night's efforts- a 1930s British Goodwill

IMG_20130225_231621_zps59aae604.jpg

Not bad for something that is over 80 years old. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the hollow handles though- they just don't seem to last the distance like solid handles do. During cleaning, I did manage to find two hairline cracks in the handle after all (the dirt and grime was hiding them).

Still, a very nice piece.

Thanks guys.

I haven't shaved with it yet, and I'm not sure that using it will be feasible unfortunately. The 3 pieces that make up the 'head' of the razor come loose from the handle very easily, to the point where I'm not convinced it would be safe to shave with.

I'll probably give it a go using a handle from a Tech though.

Thanks guys.

I haven't shaved with it yet, and I'm not sure that using it will be feasible unfortunately. The 3 pieces that make up the 'head' of the razor come loose from the handle very easily, to the point where I'm not convinced it would be safe to shave with.

I'll probably give it a go using a handle from a Tech though.

Is this the one you "won" on ebay last week?
I am still waiting for mine to get delivered.

Yeah, this is an ebay score (a local one too- came from SA) that Mark spotted for me.

and for cleaning, hot water, toothpaste and a toothbrush?

and for cleaning, hot water, toothpaste and a toothbrush?

Generally, my cleaning process is as follows:

1. Gentle scrub with a toothbrush, using hot water containing dish-washing liquid and a small amount of white vinegar
2. Polish with Autosol
3. Rinse with hot water containing some disinfectant
4. Hand polish with microfibre cloth

Occasionally, if there is a lot of metal tarnish present I add a step between 1. and 2.

-Soak in boiling water combined with aluminium foil and bi-carb soda.

Generally, my cleaning process is as follows:

1. Gentle scrub with a toothbrush, using hot water containing dish-washing liquid and a small amount of white vinegar
2. Polish with Autosol
3. Rinse with hot water containing some disinfectant
4. Hand polish with microfibre cloth

Occasionally, if there is a lot of metal tarnish present I add a step between 1. and 2.

-Soak in boiling water combined with aluminium foil and bi-carb soda.

The vinegar if it makes it too acidic can speed up oxidation where there is any plate losss. I would avoid it personally.

The foil and bi-carb is for silver plated razors only

Cheers Mark, point noted.

I'll just give it a bit of a clean with hot water and detergent, then post a few pics here to see if any other methods are required / suggested.

The vinegar if it makes it too acidic can speed up oxidation where there is any plate losss. I would avoid it personally.

The foil and bi-carb is for silver plated razors only

Yes, that is very true re vinegar- have to be careful with it. I only use a very small amount per sink full of hot water.

The foil and bi-carb thing is funny- I've been using it for years to clean silverware so I thought I't try it out on razors. From my understanding of the science it should only work on silver, but it has helped on the few razors I've used it on?

Regardless, if in doubt play it safe and stick with hot water and detergent :)

Here's my latest effort- an English Tech.

Wasn't much to do here really- a basic clean and polish was all that was needed

IMG_20130319_174624_zps60d337f2.jpg

IMG_20130319_174643_zpsfb7c4b4b.jpg

IMG_20130319_174703_zps1e10a370.jpg