My first attempt at vintage razor restoration

That Tech looks great! So this was the good one from those three you posted in the acquisitions thread?

That Tech looks great! So this was the good one from those three you posted in the acquisitions thread?

Yup, that's the one. The other two were write-offs :-(

This is nice though, looking forward to trying it out sometime soonish.

Yup, that's the one. The other two were write-offs.....

Can't you make a Frankenrazor using bits of both? I keep seeing pictures of nice techs and keep meaning to dig mine (a minty birth year/quarter one) out.

Looks sensational!

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I may be able to make something from the other two.

Hello gents,

Here's last night's effort. A user-grade NEW that came up quite nicely.
Thanks to Mark I already have a very nice condition one of these in a 'Blue Special' kit. As many of you would know, the gold plating on these is particularly thin and as a result you see a lot of them knocking around looking very...coppery. From my reading, it isn't actually copper that is revealed under the plating- it is 'red brass' (brass with a high copper content).

Anyhow, here's the before and after:

Before:

After:

That looks amazing. I have two that are in sore need of being restored accordingly. Maybe we can work out some kind of a deal....

That looks amazing. I have two that are in sore need of being restored accordingly. Maybe we can work out some kind of a deal....

Although I'd be happy to help out, it honestly isn't rocket science. Basically just a good clean in hot soapy water and then hand polish with Autosol until I'm happy with the results. Probably the hardest bit of the how process isn't cleaning or polishing- its working out which razors have 'potential' from low quality ebay photos! I'm no expert here either, but I like to think I'm getting better. I really enjoy being able to take something that looks beyond repair and giving it back just a little of its former glory.

Anyhow, shoot me a PM if you are really keen and we'll work something out :)

In the interests of not being lazy I grabbed the two old "vintage" razors and soaked them in kettle hot soapy for a while. Then I scrubbed them with a toothbrush. Tomorrow I will get some autosol and see what lies beneath.
At least the soaking and scrubbing took the green off the metal.

Nice work. Spend some time with the Autosol and you'll be amazed how well they will come up.

I should have taken before shots, I really should.

I've taken a few snaps with my phone but despite being a 12MP camera I will get the DSLR on to the job later.

I now have a gleaming shiny brassy three piece open comb stamped "Made in Canada".

I haven't finished cleaning the first one up yet but here is a shot of the underneath; keep in mind that the entire razor was dull brown and the shaft was mottled green from misuse.

I skydrived the pics so click on the link and take a look.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=ED0D3D17D38D665!135&authkey=!AG29aK9dqvoUY90

Looking good mate. Isn't it amazing how good these things come up, considering how old they are?

Yeah it sure it.

Reminds me of cleaning my brass on my belt in Army Cadets in the 80's. I'd spend ages polishing it.

So what do you use to clean between the teeth of the razor? I'm using an old toothbrush but it isn't too good for getting the Autosol out of there.

I'd appreciate any suggestions...from anyone really.

Yeah it sure it.

Reminds me of cleaning my brass on my belt in Army Cadets in the 80's. I'd spend ages polishing it.

So what do you use to clean between the teeth of the razor? I'm using an old toothbrush but it isn't too good for getting the Autosol out of there.

I'd appreciate any suggestions...from anyone really.

Yeah, an old toothbrush is what I use for situations like that.

Ok so this Autosol stuff is magic.

I did my R41 and Progress with it today too.

Pics if interested....

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=ED0D3D17D38D665!143&authkey=!AMgdIVMSJ17GfHA

Excellent :)

Yeah Autosol seems to work really well, and doesn't have as much residue as some polishes I've used (Silvo, for example). A few people I know who work in the antiques industry use it too, so that had me sold.