My Journey on the Straight Path

@stillshunter, how have you found the 5/8" size blade? The one I use is 9/16", so a touch thinner. I'd like to try a 4/8", as I reckon it would be easier to get under the nose. and around the chin.
Can't help you there mate.
1. my first and only straight, so nothing to compare it to, and
2. my first and only straight shave so far, so haven't ventured under the nose or mouth or anywhere else in the goatee zone.

Under the nose is a concern but I assume XTG pass will get the edge where I need to...also more's the concern that I might need another straight just to see what different sizes feel like. Oh boy.....

Great post @stillshunter, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you're joining in on the fun. The right way to hold a razor is the way that you're most comfortable with so you're all good. The blade is incredibly sharp, even after dialing it back a fair bit before sending it over, Sheffield steel is my favourite so far along with Japanese Swedish steel, they take and hold a hell of an edge. Just remember, if it feels natural to you then you're doing it right although not everything will feel straight forward for the first few shaves.

Keeping the skin taught definitely reduces the chances of any mistakes and gets you a lot closer. Don't worry about little nicks they will come and go, it's hard to cut yourself when you focus on a good angle, again, there's no right or wrong angle, spine closer to the face equals milder, spine further away from the face equals more aggressive, always try to stick to option one as option two can easily transform into a bad habit which can be quite harsh on both your skin and the razors edge.

I agree, stropping is very enjoyable, so is shaving, honing, restoring, rescaling, everything to do with a straight razor is very therapeutic to me, it's my favourite hobby. I hope you continue to enjoy it, that being said you've got a handful of supportive blokes here who enjoy it too.

Second straight shave.
Same straight (George Butler 5/8 KEEN), same strop (handmade 3" roo and linen), different brush (620), different soap (Latha)

Stropping this morning felt a little less weird, then again I started by holding the scales - I assume this is a no-no. Was comfortable but... Don't worry I reverted back to flipping the shank.

The 620 built a beautiful thick protective lather, but it seems maybe the Latha's lather was a little too thick for the purposes of the straight shave. Was weird, compared to yesterday (and the MdC) the lather seems to have made my fingers more slippery - had less surer grip on the shank and tang - but on the face the lather didn't give the same glide as the MdC. Odder again, the wake of the Latha was far more slippery to grip for the skin tightening than the MdC. So I assume I made too thick a lather. All-in-all today was a little messier than yesterday. Caught myself in the reflection at one point and my face looked like a toddler eating an ice-cream cake. Seriously how the hell did the lather get up there? Anyway, most strokes were a little surer but again the slippery shank was a little off-putting (and, no, the jimps didn't help much).

One thing I achieved today, that I didn't yesterday, was to hear the blade sing.....twice! First time was early on the right cheek readying the first stroke, blade to face, touches skin, a little downward for the stroke but it resisted immediately. "TING!". "WTF was that?". Thought nothing of it but then the area went a little red - my first micro-cut, nick, slice, not sure what you call it? No blood dripped just slightly highlighted red across the shortened line. A little later on the second pass across the left cheek. Preparing for the second stroke and "TING!". This one was louder with better resonance (I'm sure it echoed!) and I could feel a little bite. Again, no blood to really speak of just a thin (longer) red line. Stings a little now (10 minutes on) though. Funny how the blade bites at the rest. Is it an angle thing or?

Think I did better yesterday. Not sure if it was the lather, more attention (though I was still pretty damn focused/fearful) or what it was but I felt less adventurous by shave's end. Still did both cheeks, neck and even ventured to immediately under the lip.

Much to learn...which is exciting.

Last edited:
I think like with many things (including my DE journey) the second time is harder - especially when the first experience was good/satisfying. You subconsciously get more complacent...

Second straight shave.
Same straight (George Butler 5/8 KEEN), same strop (handmade 3" roo and linen), different brush (620), different soap (Latha)

Stropping this morning felt a little less weird, then again I started by holding the scales - I assume this is a no-no. Was comfortable but... Don't worry I reverted back to flipping the shank.

The 620 built a beautiful thick protective lather, but it seems maybe the Latha's lather was a little too thick for the purposes of the straight shave. Was weird, compared to yesterday (and the MdC) the lather seems to have made my fingers more slippery - had less surer grip on the shank and tang - but on the face the lather didn't give the same glide as the MdC. Odder again, the wake of the Latha was far more slippery to grip for the skin tightening than the MdC. So I assume I made too thick a lather. All-in-all today was a little messier than yesterday. Caught myself in the reflection at one point and my face looked like a toddler eating an ice-cream cake. Seriously how the hell did the lather get up there? Anyway, most strokes were a little surer but again the slippery shank was a little off-putting (and, no, the jimps didn't help much).

One thing I achieved today, that I didn't yesterday, was to hear the blade sing.....twice! First time was early on the right cheek readying the first stroke, blade to face, touches skin, a little downward for the stroke but it resisted immediately. "TING!". "WTF was that?". Thought nothing of it but then the area went a little red - my first micro-cut, nick, slice, not sure what you call it? No blood dripped just slightly highlighted red across the shortened line. A little later on the second pass across the left cheek. Preparing for the second stroke and "TING!". This one was louder with better resonance (I'm sure it echoed!) and I could feel a little bite. Again, no blood to really speak of just a thin (longer) red line. Stings a little now (10 minutes on) though. Funny how the blade bites at the rest. Is it an angle thing or?

Think I did better yesterday. Not sure if it was the lather, more attention (though I was still pretty damn focused/fearful) or what it was but I felt less adventurous by shave's end. Still did both cheeks, neck and even ventured to immediately under the lip.

Much to learn...which is exciting.
Many shaves to come, many small nicks/blood letting to come. Doesn't matter how good yesterday's shave was, the minute your mind wanders away from the task at hand (and staying focussed on something on you are familiar with is not easy/natural) then,"Yep, yep, I shouldn't have done that". That is why straight shaving is soooooooo good. You never have authority over a straight. Yes, you learn to in time wield it proficiently but the minute you lose your respect for how you use this tool, it bites. Using a straight is addictive, it consumes your thoughts.

the minute your mind wanders away from the task at hand (and staying focussed on something on you are familiar with is not easy/natural) then,"Yep, yep, I shouldn't have done that".

For me, it isn't so much "Yep, shouldn't have done that", more a sharp intake of breath, thinking "That's gonna run!", then waiting for the claret to pour out, styptic at the ready.

You never have authority over a straight

You are so right. It's like that four-letter word - golf. You can have an awesome game one day, then be completely shite then next... same course, same clubs. So it is with a straight! Don't forget to replace your divots, in the deeper cuts!

However, as I get more time with the straight, my technique is gradually sorting itself out. The blade is exceptionally keen, I am stropping before and after each shave, so it stays dry and sharp.

One other thing I am doing (and I know that @Drubbing doesn't care for it - too many steps, I think), is that if I place the Floid preshave on my chops about 20 minutes before I shave and let it sit, then I get a really good shave with minimal nicks. Your mileage may vary.

I now have had 30-40 shaves with a straight razor. I'm becoming more agile and efficient with the str8 razor. Still only the single pass (WTG) but it's quicker, smoother and more comfortable for me. It's the beginnings of a natural shave.

I've been dragging my heels with doing the second pass. But it's time to step out and just do it.

I know it's not new or revolutionary but it's a huge first for me....and what a buzz. "Honed" my first straight. Made my way through the progression (set the bevel with a Chosera 1k, and then refined the edge through Shaptons 5k, 8k, 12k and finished with chromox on balsa).

12144728_10203732784198574_7267561620589095790_n.jpg

Went through very slowly and very deliberately. ..like a boy driving his first manual car and bunny hopping down the drive. But, hey I got there. Shave tested snd it's very, very sharp and surprisingly smooth. Man I am stoked. Beginner's luck but, hey, whatever...

12072579_10203732784398579_7761544887531044084_n.jpg

Anyone contemplating the jump to DIY, then do it. There's a real satisfaction that goes with shaving with a blade you made ready. Huge thanks to @Mark for the push....

I know it's not new or revolutionary but it's a huge first for me....and what a buzz. "Honed" my first straight. Made my way through the progression (set the bevel with a Chosera 1k, and then refined the edge through Shaptons 5k, 8k, 12k and finished with chromox on balsa).

Went through very slowly and very deliberately. ..like a boy driving his first manual car and bunny hopping down the drive. But, hey I got there. Shave tested snd it's very, very sharp and surprisingly smooth. Man I am stoked. Beginner's luck but, hey, whatever...

Anyone contemplating the jump to DIY, then do it. There's a real satisfaction that goes with shaving with a blade you made ready. Huge thanks to @Mark for the push....
Inspirational stuff mate!

Money well spent for top shelf hones and a great investment without a doubt!!

Well done mate!

Haha! Isn't it amusing that at the beginning of the year you were on a Sabbatical and using a DE exclusively. You would have never have thought that 10 months in you'd have smashed your Sabbatical ( :whistle: ), but also be almost exclusively shaving with a straight AND honing it. How far you have come in this journey!? [emoji106]

Anyone contemplating the jump to DIY, then do it. There's a real satisfaction that goes with shaving with a blade you made ready.
You've got all the hardware and so you're now setup for a lifetime of shaves...

I hope to one day also join you along the same path my friend.

Well done mate!

Haha! Isn't it amusing that at the beginning of the year you were on a Sabbatical and using a DE exclusively. You would have never have thought that 10 months in you'd have smashed your Sabbatical ( :whistle: ), but also be almost exclusively shaving with a straight AND honing it. How far you have come in this journey!? [emoji106]

You've got all the hardware and so you're now setup for a lifetime of shaves...
Thanks mate.

It is pretty amusing, though not so ironic. If I recall correctly our sabbatical was driven by the desire to simplify. And when you get down to it the essence of straights and honing is a simplification. You become self-sufficient (once you have the hardware you need) and the quality of your shave comes down to, simply, your skill and mindfulness. But, spot on, with stones you are set up for life....I mean who needs more razors or stones? (oh boy....)

I hope to one day also join you along the same path my friend.
I look forward to it mate. I reckon you'll get a real kick out of it. And you have the benefit of a great tutor in @Mark just living a few suburbs over.