My Journey on the Straight Path

I could probably make it cut butter if I'm lucky LOL
On a serious note, can use it to practice your technique, shaving that is (not honing) :)
A true SPUD emerges.

Thanks to very generous help from @Mark my journey on the straight path, too, begins in a matter of days. The razor arrived yesterday, the strop arrived today, I anticipate the courage should arrive in the next two days (maybe I should have paid more for ExpressPost) and my first straight shave will arrive on Saturday morning.... I'm a little pumped, but more kind of shitting myself already.

You'll be fine honestly [emoji106] just avoid the neck to start with and upper lip as these are areas where contour changes.
Thanks mate. I am planning a graduated / phased approach. Cheeks first - with each corresponding hand (boy I'm hopeless with my non-dominant left hand so that'll be interesting) then we move on from there...
....sound thinking?

Would you do anything different @filobiblic ?

Thanks mate. I am planning a graduated / phased approach. Cheeks first - with each corresponding hand (boy I'm hopeless with my non-dominant left hand so that'll be interesting) then we move on from there...
....sound thinking?

You'll be surprised. First shave you'll keep facing the blade at your face like your about to attack yourself. By the 5th or do shave you'll instinctively position it parallel without thinking.

....sound thinking?

Sounds good to me. But I'm also the newbie! Starting with the cheeks only definitely helps build the confidence.

Thanks to very generous help from @Mark my journey on the straight path, too, begins in a matter of days. The razor arrived yesterday, the strop arrived today, I anticipate the courage should arrive in the next two days (maybe I should have paid more for ExpressPost) and my first straight shave will arrive on Saturday morning.... I'm a little pumped, but more kind of shitting myself already.
Excellent! Glad to know that it has arrived safely. You will be perfectly fine, none of us are magicians, we don't know voodoo and we certainly don't practice any witch craft, just like everyone else we went for it. Maintain good angle and pressure which should be little to none and it will be very hard to cut yourself. I'm sure you've been doing a lot of reading on this thread. Best of luck. Looking forward to Saturday's post.

Excellent! Glad to know that it has arrived safely. You will be perfectly fine, none of us are magicians, we don't know voodoo and we certainly don't practice any witch craft, just like everyone else we went for it. Maintain good angle and pressure which should be little to none and it will be very hard to cut yourself. I'm sure you've been doing a lot of reading on this thread. Best of luck. Looking forward to Saturday's post.
You're making the whole straight thing sound so easy. Keep up the mystique and let them think that straights users are on another, higher plain of shaving addiction.

...17...18...19...20...ready
Working @Mark 's instructions to the letter my straight was ready for the shave. So here we go....oh, yeah, sorry, of course what straight? what strop? I'd sort of promised a photo,. Hmmm, so here's this morning's shave
mQEbkxM.jpg

So my first, and I'm hoping 'only' (oh jeez who am I kidding?) straight is the George Butler 5/8 KEEN (from @Mark ) and the strop is an extra wide roo (tail) and linen custom....I really like the crocodile trim on loops. Warmed the roo leather with some laps of the palm and slowly went to work. After the third stroke - which I think I counted about eight times, such were my nerves sent to distraction - the lapping of the strop stroke felt more natural. Very slow. Very deliberate. Very meditative.
...17...18...19...20...ready

Thought to make this first shave special that I'd use all my favourite stuff. So MdC built an exquisite lather on the face and the original scent filled the room with the smells of a European garden. The 1305 is now where it should be, great backbone and flow, soft tips, just excellent. So lathers built and the deliberate act of shaving begins. What a buzz to be new again. It reminded me of my first wet shave with a DE. The magic of the ritual was back and I was very much in the moment. I held the straight as I'd seen during the 13 and a 1/2 hours of youtubes I'd watched in preparation. Three fingers forward, pinkie on the tang and thumb underneath. Starting on the right sideburn area, pull skin taut with the left hand and....I can't see a thing. OK start again, hold razor, three forward, one back, skin taut and...nope blind - nothing but hands and elbows in the way of the mirror. Hmmm...do I need another 8 hours of videos to resea....oh fuck it. Grip, check angles, pull skin taut and off we go....First stroke, complete and the lather gone. I look no blood, no pain, no...well anything, it just felt like nothing. Resume and continue with small strokes. Visibility was granted after the first stroke and I was getting into it. Was weird pulling the skin tight, as it's not something I do with the DE, so I had to keep reminding myself. Remember angles, grip, tighten skin and...oh so much to remember....anyway got through the right sideburns and cheeks and now left hand. Oh boy! Felt so odd. But after the first few strokes it came together. I'm committed to continue practicing with the left hand as I'm convinced getting the muscle memory right (for the left) from the get-go is a smart idea. So left side done. That's it. Not great, not bad. Had a feel of the face without the lather and there was still stubble - not sure what I expected but.... So finished the rest of the first pass with the DE. Rinse and relather. That's it for the straight. Put it down on the towel and then relathered.

....yeah right.

...still buzzing I went in for another go with the straight across the grain on the sideburns and cheeks....and neck. I couldn't help it I had to try. The straight in hand just felt so natural, but why did it feel so different from the first pass? Then I looked down and noticed I'd unconsciously altered my grip. I was now two in front with ring finger and pinkie on the tang and it was like I'd been doing this for a while. Not sure if this is Bad Habit #1 but that grip felt better. Post XTG pass was smooth with the pass but there was still some stubble ATG. But less than with the DE - I know because the ATG DE pass was cutting through micromillimetres.

So in summary.
This shit is good.
Funny how natural it felt having a straight in hand and on the face. I assume prior wet shaving experience helped here. Knowing my face, understanding angles. But, weirdly, it felt more natural with the straight in hand - after I adopted the two front/two back grip - than did the DE. Very 'king Weird. Maybe I used a straight in my previous life.
I will struggle with not using my right hand.
I will struggle with remembering to hold my skin taut
I will struggle with the lather clean off (it doesn't come off being whisked (super-carefully) in a basin full of water - will try either running water or a towel next time - what do you guys do?
I will struggle with the goatee area
I will not struggle with wanting to keep on this straight path.

Big thanks for those who helped ease me (with gentle prods and rough pushes) to get here. Special mention to @Mark , @filobiblic and @Dale.Whiley . I feel doomed and yet resigned and with a smile as wide as my shoulders.

...and so were my first steps on my journey on the straight path.

Awesome read and photo, @stillshunter . Love your work mate. Sounds like breaking into the world of straights is best left for weekends when you have the time to go slow.
Thanks mate. You pegged it for me. I reckon straights for the weekend - not only because of time but just to make me time special.

I must speak to @Mark about getting my straight honed.
Only guy who's honed my straight so can't compare with the work of other honemeisters, seemed sharp enough to me but. What I certainly can say is @Mark is a top bloke. Great communications and abundantly helpful - and helpful in the best sense of a very genuine and down-to-earth way. I did not sniff the slightest hint of frustration or condensation in a single exchange we had...and trust me, I'm even more annoying via PM.

Classy photo and lots of description to go along with what's the first of many shaves to come. That's a classy blade and strop combo! [emoji106]

Slow and steady wins eh?! Certainly the same for me. As long as you're enjoying the shave and experience- it's your shave so enjoy it!

I recently read/heard to try one finger instead of two on the shoulder for the first stroke or two at the sideburns area. That way there's less to see past. Every little bit that helps...

A str8 weekend warrior is probably what's manageable in the busyness of life. If you can use the str8 more frequently though it will enforce the muscle memory quicker and you'll not get as discouraged sooner. New skills like these take time and you're off to a great start mate. Enjoy your journey!

You guys have broken my resistance. Message on-route to @Mark to see what can be done with a beautiful Straight that I acquired from @Young Buck many moons ago. This means shaving on weekends, which is taboo for me, but a bit of slick bit of lather and a sharp French blade to start off my Saturday can't be that bad.

Do it, @Lifes a Peach!

For me it is a great time out from everything. Even SWMBO will let me do what I have to do, occasionally stopping in to shake her head, that I'm using a killing machine to shave with!

Quite a buzz.

@stillshunter, how have you found the 5/8" size blade? The one I use is 9/16", so a touch thinner. I'd like to try a 4/8", as I reckon it would be easier to get under the nose. and around the chin.