Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Over the school holidays a faint shadow became noticeable on his top lip. I spoke to him about it and we agreed to take some action.

I was hoping to wait till I got a styptic pencil and use a DE but some other kids mentioned it to him at school today so we took action tonight.

I got a cheap shaving set (stand, brush and bowl) from Aldi a while ago so cracked it open. He wanted to start with carts so he wouldn't cut himself before trying a real razor. For a 12 year old who has to go to school I think this is fair enough. So I slipped a new cartridge into my Sensor Excel twin blade I use when travelling.

So with the cheapo Aldi kit and Cella we did his first shave.

I said we had to finish off with aftershave and asked if he wanted a little burn or something soothing. He opted for some burn and after approving the smell applied some Pinaud Special Reserve. He complained about the burn!

So there you go, a momentous occasion - my son had his first shave. He was very proud when he mentioned it to his mother and sisters.

I have a NOS Slim Aristocrat from my birth year and a Simpson brush for him when he turns 18 but this is a start.

WOW, a big day. Might be time for a wee dram of single malt ...

Last edited:
Congratulations Mark :)

Well done to your son also. Has he signed up to Paste and Cut yet? plenty of PIF's...

12 year old son, but I suspect you've been waiting for this moment for longer than those 12 years!

No, but I knew it would be coming along fairly soon - genetics and all that :blink:

Congratulations Mark :)

Well done to your son also. Has he signed up to Paste and Cut yet? plenty of PIF's...

What, and read some of the stuff you guys post? Not for another six years at least!

Awesome awesome stuff Mark!

Congrats!

Thanks you and all. Not sure why I'm taking the credit - but I will :laugh:

No pressure or anything, but this kid better like a shave! He's gunna inherit the wet-shaving museum of the world, and Australia Post can't handle that kind of shipping.

I still remember my first shave with my dad, and I guess it made enough of an impression for me to end up here. I'm glad the young fella and yourself enjoyed it, it's a special thing to impart manly wisdom upon your offspring. Don't let him end up a heathen, he'll be too well equipped for that. Which Simpson will he get?

No pressure or anything, but this kid better like a shave! He's gunna inherit the wet-shaving museum of the world, and Australia Post can't handle that kind of shipping.

I still remember my first shave with my dad, and I guess it made enough of an impression for me to end up here. I'm glad the young fella and yourself enjoyed it, it's a special thing to impart manly wisdom upon your offspring. Don't let him end up a heathen, he'll be too well equipped for that. Which Simpson will he get?

This is what I currently have tucked away for his 18th.

I am reconsidering it though and may give him the 46 as a starter brush when he goes DE and give him a Chubby 1 or vintage butterscotch Simpson with the Aristocrat.

More recently I've thought of getting some consecutive numbered Simpson QEII Jubilee brushes or a pair of custom brushes from Rudy Vey ....

Beyond having a bit of fun with shaving cream and a blade-less razor when they were a few years old my sons have been growing beards, goatees, 5O'Clock shadow etc ever since. Managed to persuade one of them to use soap and a brush but beyond that my involvement has been as the brunt of endless shaving jokes. Even that has stopped now. I just get ignored. Sob.....

This is what I currently have tucked away for his 18th.

I am reconsidering it though and may give him the 46 as a starter brush when he goes DE and give him a Chubby 1 or vintage butterscotch Simpson with the Aristocrat.

More recently I've thought of getting some consecutive numbered Simpson QEII Jubilee brushes or a pair of custom brushes from Rudy Vey ....

...but the important question...

What are you getting for me Mark??!! :p

... Even that has stopped now. I just get ignored. Sob.....

... and they wonder why we are so possessive of the remote. It becomes our only source of relevance ...:wacko:

...but the important question...

What are you getting for me Mark??!! :p

I have LOTS for you mate, at a very low price, see them all here.

Last edited:
Beyond having a bit of fun with shaving cream and a blade-less razor when they were a few years old my sons have been growing beards, goatees, 5O'Clock shadow etc ever since. Managed to persuade one of them to use soap and a brush but beyond that my involvement has been as the brunt of endless shaving jokes. Even that has stopped now. I just get ignored. Sob.....

Of course some of us had world events set up to mark the occasion of their first shave. I had mine on the day John F Kennedy was asssinated and I have spread good will around the world ever since.

He said he was a late starter so I'm guessing Chernobyl.....

Thanks PJ but not quite that late - by Chernobyl I had teenage age children and marriage number 1 was about to collapse after 16 years. And given that number 2 is in its 20 something I am grateful for the collapse.

His first shave, and you went and BOUGHT some stuff? Cheap stuff at that.

You got it bad. Worst case I've seen.

My Dad never taught me to shave. Don't think he even mentioned it when I did. I shaved him a few days before he died, but that's a different story.

His first shave, and you went and BOUGHT some stuff? Cheap stuff at that.

You got it bad. Worst case I've seen.

It was stuff I've had for ages, cheap set from Aldi - give me a break :D

... I shaved him a few days before he died, but that's a different story.

Very special - well done mate

Yeah I don't recall any lessons from Dad either.

My sons will probably have horror filled memories of Dad harrassing them about "glide and cushion" and "shave angle" and grow beards :laugh: