Need a recommendation

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
hey all,
I need some product knowledge, I'm loooking for a new soap, my supplier of MWF and TOBS has dried up and am looking for a tallow based soap with lanolin to help fill the gap I tested a lot of washpool farm stuff a few years back and liked it but I've also seen posts about squadron.
Scent wise I like something subdued and understated.
I'd like to buy locally made but not
Any advice?

Phoenix and Beau unscented
Just checked their website.. everything I looked at was sold out, I'd like a product I can depend on and regularly get.

Last edited:
Just looked at the APR range.
how are the reviews on this range?
The price surgests it should be something special..

Cool, I'd like to give the APR range a try but it is a bit above my normal price range and without being able to check the scent first I'm abit reserved myself.

Cool, I'd like to give the APR range a try but it is a bit above my normal price range and without being able to check the scent first I'm abit reserved myself.

I would highly recommend you give Squadron Soap a try, it's Australian made and owned and is a good fit for your price point.

The fragrance of Ad Astra is both subdued and understated, and is comprised of essential oils.

That is fair enough - we should have a catch up and I can bring my small (?) selection of APR along - but as @todras has graciously said the Squadron Soap is a great option too!

Pulled the trigger and ordered some sweetheart for a friend and the warden for myself, really looking forward to it

Washpool bergamot, cedar, patchouli is damn awesome in terms of performance, post shave and fragrance.

Washpool bergamot, cedar, patchouli is damn awesome in terms of performance, post shave and fragrance.
I've used and enjoyed washpool before, no issues with it at all.

Personally I like the unscented

@Ferret619
I mentioned the washpool as you said you tried it a few years back, which was before their latest formula and scents.

I agree with you, the unscented is lovely also. I enjoy that rustic earthy scent.

Pulled the trigger and ordered some sweetheart for a friend and the warden for myself, really looking forward to it
I have Spitfire and Warden.
I loved Spitfire so much that Warden sat unopened for quite some time. But a couple of weeks ago I decided to give it a go and, honestly, it has really grown on me.

To me it is calm, confident and understated much like the guy on the label.
In fact, the leathery scent reminds me of my father's military issue leather packs when I was a kid.

I am now quite interested in trying Ad Astra because of its move to essential oils... And also because I like a good gin & tonic. ;)

@Ferret619
I mentioned the washpool as you said you tried it a few years back, which was before their latest formula and scents.

I agree with you, the unscented is lovely also. I enjoy that rustic earthy scent.
I'll have to give it a another go, I loved the performance of her soaps but the scent profiles just didn't quite do it for me. Nothing wrong with that ofcause.

I'll have to give it a another go, I loved the performance of her soaps but the scent profiles just didn't quite do it for me. Nothing wrong with that ofcause.
That and occasionally, very occasionally I find a soap (mama bears most recently) which is a tad heavy on essential oils and my skin doesn't like it.
I'm not sensitive to these sorts of things generally but there have been one or two which left me feeling a tad raw Not that I had this Experiance with washpool, I'm just musing on the subject.
I was fortunate enough to try the original formula and the follow up.
Damn it.. ill buy more on Monday.

@Ferret619 are you thinking of getting the unscented lanolin, bergamot/cedarwood/patchouli or lemongrass/lime/lemon mertle?

I'm thinking of grabbing one of these as the reviews in here seem pretty good.
I'm slightly leaning towards the lanolin. It seems similar to the MWF that I have been meaning to try and I don't have anything unscented.