New and from Gippsland Vic

Callum

I'm currently working through the last of my Shick Hydro blades while shopping around for a good starter DE that I might be able to carry on using for quite some time yet (thinking something like Rockwell 6C or Merkur 34c).

Wet shaving is something I have wanted to get into for some time now, but have only just gotten myself an Omega Boar brush recently. I was on holidays in NZ with a tube of Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime shave cream, when I found the brush in Queenstown. Before then I was just mashing the cream on with my fingers. It worked, but I wouldn't say ideal.

Since then I have picked up a selection of other creams and soaps from supermarkets to pharmacists and even an order on Beard and Blade (mostly to try some Proraso because it seems to very popular).

I already have around 10 different soaps and creams that I have been trying out to see what works for me. I've had a few false steps (Col Ichabod Conk and I don't see eye to eye) but all in all I'm enjoying myself so far and keep finding myself looking around for what next.

Being in Gippsland (a few hours East of Melb) means that there isn't much in the way of shaving supply stores, really a Chemist Warehouse or Coles are the upper end, so instead I find myself wistfully browsing online stores.

Welcome @Callum !

The supermarket and pharmacy shelves can hide some quite decent soaps and creams - Col Conk is NOT one of them as you have discovered :)

Online is probably easiest in many, many ways - but Mensbiz has a B&M store in Melbourne in you are ever 'in town' - you can even grab yourself a shave there!

Keep an eye out too for the next Paste & Cut Travelling Box - a whole world of goodies to explore (y)

Welcome @Callum to P&C ... plenty of great advice and top quality Aussie artisan producers here (y)

Welcome @Callum to P&C.
Was only reminded an hour ago that I joined P&C a year ago.
Have learnt alot in that year and met some great guys with fantastic advice.
May have spent too much but hey i'm not short on choice anymore.

Welcome @Callum !

The supermarket and pharmacy shelves can hide some quite decent soaps and creams - Col Conk is NOT one of them as you have discovered :)

Online is probably easiest in many, many ways - but Mensbiz has a B&M store in Melbourne in you are ever 'in town' - you can even grab yourself a shave there!

Keep an eye out too for the next Paste & Cut Travelling Box - a whole world of goodies to explore (y)

I've seen mention of these Travelling Boxes and would be keen to check one out at some stage and I think I will have to seek Mensbiz out next time I make the trek to Melb.

Welcome to P&C @Callum - great to have you here (y)

Welcome @Callum . Regarding a starter razor, I know it's pricier but I do recommend a Rockwell 6S. Less pretty to some, but it's stainless steel so it should last a lifetime and you have some customisation/adjustment with the plates to find a setting you like.

Your picks are good though and I would also suggest the Muhle R89 razor as a good starter (it's what I started with last year).

Hello Callum.

My advice would be buy an adjustable, vintage or modern. A synth, a badger and a Boar. A big 1kg block of something like vitos Red super coco and just have at it and learn.