New brush recommendations

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
The base of the handle on my el cheapo plastic Omega has fallen off, and my wife appears to have laid claim to the FS shaving brush so I need to find a replacement to one of the above?
Any recommendations that are not too expensive? I'm OK with either badger or boar.

Omega 10005, 11137 - same brush, different handle. A 48, if you fancy something big.

Simpsons Classic 2. Expensive. But you may never buy another badger. don't really know any good, cheap badgers.

The 10005 looks like it will sate my boat requirements. But I can't see me spending over $130 on a Simpson.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you're thinking boar you can't go wrong with Omega. You could contact Mark if you're serious about a badger brush.

I wouldn't mind one of each. But we don't know if Mark has survived his strap-on experience yet do we?

Where is the best place to pick up the Omega's online?

I did a quick look yesterday and saw them on Connaught's, but can't remember where you guys normally suggest.

So after a quick Google, Connaughts appears to be the place to buy. As I am buying from there, I guess I should try some TOBS. Everyone seems to like Jermyn Street, but should I buy soap or cream?

Last edited:
Mine are both from Connaught, cheaper than everywhere else I've found. Jermyn Street has a fantastic scent and performs very well. I also like the Eton College. I've only tried the creams, but you can't go wrong with them.

Yes Eggy I survived and have some beautiful TGN re-knots I will be selling if you can wait until tomorrow night when I can take pics :)

Might even have a Chubby too ...

I've bought a few Omegas from Connaught. Best range outside the US I think. But US sites generally suck for postage.But then, Omega do put a lot of the same knot in different handles, so the range isn't quite as vast as it might seem.

Everyone should have a Simpson. It's a rule.

Everyone should have a Simpson. It's a rule.

I was tempted with the milk churn Simpson someone sold here (I think?) a couple of months ago, but someone beat me to it while I dithered.

One thing I can say with confidence, avoid Vie Long.
Their after sales service is deplorable.

Care to share borked? Did you go through Gifts and Care or Vie-Long directly?

Vie Long direct, via email.
Have emailed them thrice over a period of several months.
Figured they've had long enough to at least touch base, so their lack of any correspondence speaks volumes as to the standard of their operation, well to me at least.

Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. What issues did you have with the brush/brushes?

Sorry to hijack Egg. Another option for you might be seeking out a handle and fitting it with a TGN knot like PJ just did. That way, you'd get a bit of choice as far as loft/hair grade is concerned.

Would be a good idea Mong, but my interest in brushes does not really extend to DIY. I just want one (maybe two) that work which is why I was considering one badger and one boar.

The brush shed approximately 100 hairs since new before I gave up and stopped using it.

Would be a good idea Mong, but my interest in brushes does not really extend to DIY. I just want one (maybe two) that work which is why I was considering one badger and one boar.

I don't want to appear to me Mark's salesman but he's got some beautiful brushes for sale that range from small to medium sized and are as badger as they come. They're one-of-a-kind. I have no idea what he wants for them but it it would be worth considering.

I don't want to appear to me Mark's salesman but he's got some beautiful brushes for sale that range from small to medium sized and are as badger as they come. They're one-of-a-kind. I have no idea what he wants for them but it it would be worth considering.
Haha, no worries, I'm just waiting until last night.

Haha, no worries, I'm just waiting until last night.

As Mark's advertising department seems to have gone to sleep, here are some pictures:

Culmak etc.jpg Culmaks.jpg

The one on the bottom right (dark Culmak) is the same as the top left but with the knot in place. The one on the bottom left hadn't been fitted with a knot when I took the picture but is a slightly smaller Culmak (in spite of them both being marked as no 40). All fitted with TGN finest. They hadn't been glued at that stage so the lofts might vary a wee bit. I'm sure mark will send you some finished pics. The smaller Culmak and the Hoffritz (I think that's the name), the one on the right of the top picture, have smaller knots and would be classified as small/travel sized brushes. The others are medium sized. In my view medium is about as big as you need in badger. Don't know which ones he's selling but they're all great brushes.