New brush recommendations

OK, now I see the sledge there - PM sent to @eggbert with ALL the relevant details anyway. :)

Last night got away on me a bit - up to midnight working on a last minute problem thrown up at short notice.

Some pics for all though since you are so nice and I don't have steak knives ...

How are the TGN knots compared to an equivalent sized Simmo?

Haven't tried TGN, but it's going to be hard to compare, Simmo have a number of brushes of same specs, and they'll all be different. My Classic 2 is the same on paper specs as the Chubby 1 Mark bought, but two completely different brushes.

How are the TGN knots compared to an equivalent sized Simmo?

I've got a tiny Simmo and a very small low set TGN. Don't really know how they compare. They're just slightly different.. The Simmo is slightly denser. That works in a small brush. On the whole I wouldn't call one superior to the other. Mark can (now) give you a good compare. And although he doesn't appear to remember so can @Drubbing :

Haven't tried TGN...........

Your Dad's brush has got a TGN knot in it. Finest I believe.

Last edited:
You're right, I was thinking Vie long for some weird reason…

Specs still mean nothing as a comparison though. But the TGN has a nice knot. Even if its specs were the same as the Sinmo, it would'nt feel or work the same.

There are a lot of variations in knots, size density etc with a Chubby being far denser than others.

If I had to give a rating out of 10 based on my limited experience it would be:

Simmo Super - 8.5
Simmo Best - 7.5
TGN Finest - 7
Simmo Pure - 6.5

Try a New Forest brush... Amazing yokes for the £ (and even better for your $)... Tubby 2 is worth a shot from anybody's wallet.

I did wonder about one of those a while ago @hunnymonster but he doesn't seem to have any of the ones I liked in stock at the moment.
If the one below was textured instead of being smooth I would have bought one ages ago.

232BTP.jpg

*Sighs* Smoggie decided to up and separate from it's knot, same age of the Vie Long, it was finally starting to break in too :(
Not having much luck brush wise.
Before folks ask, I rotate and allow drying time before using a brush again.

Ahh well, still have a Simmo, a synthetic Wilkinson and a generic silvertip, which I started with.
Might have to find a decent dense Maricuan silvertip and oh so delicately shove that down Smoggie's throat after reconditioning the handle (already have two ideas that I'm considering).

Bloody smogs; cheap shit on a stick. Nice handles though.

FWIW I don't baby brushes like the sads on those US forums do. In fact, I probably indulge in brush abuse, relatively speaking. A decently made brush should not break. Worst that's happened to me is a shedding Simmo, and that's not related to how it was treated, but how it was made.

I'd suggest a TGN knot in Finest for the smog.

Horse shortage in Portugal with them all being sold into UK hamburger patties. Can't blame Semogue for the resulting decline in glue strength ;)

Yet by definition, I'm not suggesting you just give...
Two brushes failing signifies a good cause, does it not ? ;)

Yet by definition, I'm not suggesting you just give...
Two brushes failing signifies a good cause, does it not ? ;)

Hmmm, let me think about that for a nano-second or two ...

.......Might have to find a decent dense Maricuan silvertip and oh so delicately shove that down Smoggie's throat after reconditioning the handle (already have two ideas that I'm considering).

Do you mean Manchurian? It's just another one of those nonsensical badger bristle classifications that manufacturers use. It sounds sexy so the price will be very sexy too. Why don't you shove a boar knot in. Just noticed that TGN (http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_88) now stock a half decent range of boar knots which with a little modification will probably fit in your smoggie handle. They're real boar knots, not those splayed out, legs wide open, tarty, gutless ones that Semogue tries to fool everybody with.