New guy on the block!

Dwes8011

Hey guys im fairly new to DE shaving but what I have experienced is amazing. I will never go back to multiple razor usage. One thisthing im struggling with is shave soaps and creams they are very expensive to know what I like and do not like, does any body know where I can get samples or any recommendations?

Thanks guys
happy shaving :{)

Welcome!

I know MensBiz sells samples of all the Taylor of Old Bond Street and Geo F Trumper creams. Other stores that sell samples are all overseas (such as Maggard Razors).

Also @Nonick loves samples and used to offer some for a small price.

What are you interested in? Traditional soaps & creams? Artisan soaps? Aussie soaps/creams?

Im not really sure thats why im after samples because ive used a bay rum soap and a maca root shave cream but thats all ive tried. Just looking to tritry a heap of new things to find what I like! Im gonna get the TOB sample on mensbiz it looks pretty cool

Hey guys im fairly new to DE shaving but what I have experienced is amazing. I will never go back to multiple razor usage. One thisthing im struggling with is shave soaps and creams they are very expensive to know what I like and do not like, does any body know where I can get samples or any recommendations?

Thanks guys

Proraso green or Speick. $15 tops. Grab some blades, get free shipping from mensbiz.

Some stuff costs a lot, as far as performance goes the returns are diminished. you pay more for fancy brands and scents.

Last edited:
Im not really sure thats why im after samples because ive used a bay rum soap and a maca root shave cream but thats all ive tried. Just looking to tritry a heap of new things to find what I like! Im gonna get the TOB sample on mensbiz it looks pretty cool
There's soaps and creams, scents and then the whole range of different ingredients (to over simplify). Bay rum is a scent which isn't the same for each soap maker.

TOBS are all creams and mostly differ just on scents.

I reckon that you should very nicely ask @Anthony for a few/range of samples from Shaver Heaven for a small payment. (It's his store and he doesn't offer samples yet but he may in time.) He has terrific soaps that are local and so shipping won't be a major hassle.

I'm happy to send you some samples as well if @Nonick no longer does.

Ive heard that actually!! Thats a great price :) thats for the snappy replys guys :) good to see support...I didnt realise how different DE shaving would be

Welcome, welcome!

I wouldn't bother with a sample. The TOBS creams are very good and definitely worth the money. I started on the Sandalwood cream myself. Plenty of my friends on here swear by Jermyn Street - and it's my favourite TOBS scent. You could do quite a bit worse.

I will also suggest the Simpson's creams. Don't get as much per unit but you don't need as much and are foolproof to lather. I love my Vetiver & Lavender but the Rosemary & Mint was good too.

Proraso is great. Their sandalwood is very good and excellent for winter, and it's cheap as chips.

Best to stick with just one cream and one brush. Get used to shaving and maybe try some different blades as your technique picks up. We will have you shaving with Vintage Wilkies and Spoilers in no time. I will send you a few ;)

Tell us more about what you have been using - razor, blades etc.

Yes absolutely im not sure how it all works but im happy to pay whatever to whoever to help me out and try a few different options. I have used a glycerine based soap and that seems really great but like you say there are so many options out there.e.

I have been using a murker 30C DE razor and got a sample pack of blades from mensbiz currently using derby I didnt think much of the murker blades kinda felt like id be better of shaving with a spoon :p theythe derby have been the best ive used so far but then again ive not used much!!

Thanks guys
Welcome.

Yeah, the Merkur's are pretty much known to be shit.

I disliked Derby starting out but they work pretty well once you get some technique. I revisit them every so often and I have no problems apart from only getting 3 shaves from them. Vintage blades have ruined me for any less than 6!

We will be doing a vintage blade pass-around after Easter, and there is also the upcoming Paste & Cut Travelling Box Mk.III which our very own @Mark1966 will be administering - a great way of trying some new things.

I am sure that @Drubbing will send you a friend request shortly, he is our other 30C tragic around these parts.

I'd go with what @Monsta_AU says above: stick with one pot of cream/soap, one brush and one razor. Choose one type of blades once your sample pack runs out and buy a few more packs of them. Then go nuts with those for a couple of months.
By the end you'll be much better placed to choose more gear. Early on it's all about technique.
Lots of people rush into the whole buying frenzy and then don't find anything they like (or have too much). Then, months and years later, they try the same things they did early and they love it! (Feather blades are a great example of this!!!)

If you want a cheap intro you could do worse than take a look in your local Indian store for the godrej range of creams.
The scents and performance are not quite the equal of the more expensive brands but for less than $5 a pop you are saving a fair bit of cash

I am sure that @Drubbing will send you a friend request shortly, he is our other 30C tragic around these parts.

Haha is that something I shouldn't own up too? ;) it seem to serve me well so far!

I'd go with what @Monsta_AU says above: stick with one pot of cream/soap, one brush and one razor. Choose one type of blades once your sample pack runs out and buy a few more packs of them. Then go nuts with those for a couple of months.
By the end you'll be much better placed to choose more gear. Early on it's all about technique.
Lots of people rush into the whole buying frenzy and then don't find anything they like (or have too much). Then, months and years later, they try the same things they did early and they love it! (Feather blades are a great example of this!!!)

Ive been using the DE for around 4 months now so getting some really clean shaves but as you say I dont want to be a rusher... I dont expect the best of everything just find it good to get ddifferent opinions. :)

I could swear feather blades wanted to kill me at first but now them seem to have been somewhat more tamed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been using the DE for around 4 months now so getting some really clean shaves but as you say I dont want to be a rusher... I dont expect the best of everything just find it good to get ddifferent opinions. :)

I could swear feather blades wanted to kill me at first but now them seem to have been somewhat more tamed
OK, so now you're thinking about the next stage... Well then, maybe choose a few samples if you're keen for them or otherwise just by one or two soaps with scents you think you'll like.

Yep for sure, sounds like a good plan!! Any suggestions where or who to talk too?
I think @stillshunter is selling his RazorRock XXX soap as well as Proraso and more. He ought to post in the WTT rather than the Sabbatical Thread (and me also!).

Monsta edit: New members won't have access to trading for a period of time, longer than normal first signup wait, but less than OCAU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im happy to spend a bit to get some stuff sent my way if people have samples and ill def buy a few soaps from shaverheaven. Just let me know what I need to do :)