New guy on the block!

Welcome to the Hotel California Dwes

Such a lovely place.. pity about the members of course, but you could do worse. ;)

I'm happy to furnish you with some samples. I too had the same problem of trying a broad range of products to see what I liked best. It gets expensive and you don't actually use up soap very quickly. So 120ml tub of something you don't like is really a burden.

For me, I ended up defining soaps by three categories. You'll find what you like in each.

Consistency - Creams, Croaps (very soft soaps) hard soaps.
I guess each has their virtues, creams are the easiest to work with, very often they are formulated to explode instantly into lather, but as you get more experience lathering I find that soft soaps offer more density and glide, resulting in a more comfortable shave (that's just for me, many many people love creams too)

Scent - There are endless options. Many are well known and are like staples of the wetshaving products, yet are little known outside that circle. Scents like Barber Shop and Bay Rum are a measuring stick of any manufacturer, yet you'd likely not come across them unless your into wetshaving. Then the sky's the limit with lots of established firms offering signature scents that gain a following, or new artisans trying to make something no one else has…. you tend to end up with styles you like… Woodsy scents or citrus or spicy or classic soapy etc etc…

Manufacturer - Particularly with artisans, who make all their own soaps, there tends to be a trend. So chances are if you like one of their soaps, you'll like their products in general. For instance I've found Strop Shoppe soaps are all very soft, with great lather, the scents are all mellow/muted. If I ordered a SS soap which I'd never had I think it would be along those lines. Stirling soaps on the other hand tend to be very strong smelling. Tobs creams are all pretty much the same functionality, with varying scents, which they do very well. Barrister & Mann all have a very clear crisp smell - you can really smell what's written on the lid, and always amazing lather… you get the idea. I've found a few companies I'd happily order from and try new products from. And some I'd avoid at any discount/new product like Col Conk - it's just junk. Every time. I don't care if it's on sale.

Here endeth the lesson - how did this get so long?

I'll PM you mate and get some samples going your way.

I've bounced your account up a level to post everywhere mate - go for it.
He's a nice bloke our benevolent dictator (aka Our Great Vintage Blade Master of the Highest Order...)

Haha was a small nover but very good to get an idea so thank you as I said to @filobiblic and thing I can try and see if I like will be a massive help because even as you mentioned I dont wanna 120g of something that stinks then have to put it near my face haha not my idea of fun id rather a large bushy ginger beard, (rroll on the ranga beard jokes) you guys are extremely helpful... great community u got going on!

Welcome mate.

I'm soon to put a soap pack on the BST. Will include Proraso Green, TOBS avocado, maybe Mike's Natural, maybe DR Harris Arlington, and a few others. Will be a good way to get a start off. As you said, you don't know what you do and don't like until you get some. That's what the BST is there for.

I also have the TOBS sampler, which I can include, so don't buy it yet. They are all there, except lavendar. Not sure what I did with it... but I remember it not being my thing.

Also have a bunch of Astra blades I could sell you.

@Nick the Knife iirc is almost that far north and there's always @Dale.Whiley further north.
Both are decent blokes (just don't call them gentleman though).

A word of warning, stay away from anything vintage, it's a trap I tells ya...
An expensive time consuming trap.

Welcome mate!

Yes absolutely im not sure how it all works but im happy to pay whatever to whoever to help me out and try a few different options. I have used a glycerine based soap and that seems really great but like you say there are so many options out there.e.

I have been using a murker 30C DE razor and got a sample pack of blades from mensbiz currently using derby I didnt think much of the murker blades kinda felt like id be better of shaving with a spoon :p theythe derby have been the best ive used so far but then again ive not used much!!

Hi Yes the 30 is a very good razor, but is probably typical of all their 3 piece designs. I had a 34 as my only razor for 5 years but it limited the blades I could use. I find the 3 piece ones milder but just as efficient. I can now use Feathers with no issues at all.

I then got a 23C, only for the longer handle, which again has been great for me. So I bagged a Weber SS handle when they were on sale.

As for soaps and cream, you can spend a lot of money, and the artisan market is quite healthy. I find Proraso is still a great soap.

Will post something this weekend on the BST. Will be a decent multipack of soaps, and will include Proraso :)

I have 5 soaps in the post, so need to make room... ;)

Can you see the BST yet? Happy to PM you the details too if not.