New to the man shaving way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

G'day all I have have just started using a safety razors and am enjoying the shave I am getting. I have just got a $30 razor from the shaver shop and am using suavecito cream with feather blades although I have just got a sample pack from safety razors.com.au. I have asked my wife to buy me a good razor where is a good start? Cheers

Greg.

Welcome Greg. Glad you've said goodbye to the woman shaving way!
...not sure what you call it when you step-up to shaving with a straight? ;)

Hey @Dale.Whiley you got a friend locally!

Last edited:
G'day all I have have just started using a safety razors and am enjoying the shave I am getting. I have just got a $30 razor from the shaver shop and am using suavecito cream with feather blades although I have just got a sample pack from safety razors.com.au. I have asked my wife to buy me a good razor where is a good start? Cheers

Greg.
I reckon vintage is the best place to look for your second razor. In the double edge world the Gillette New or the Gillette Tech are excellent. Don't write off single edge razors (Gem 1912, Micromatic) or Schick Injectors either.

Whatever you do, have fun. Good to have you on board.

Welcome aboard!
I second the vintage razor as a good second razor, but take the time to get your technique down and find your favorite blade before succumbing to lure of the enablers here.

G'day Greg and welcome to the forum. Well.. You don't muck around, straight into the Feather blades! Most people work their way up to them but more power to you! :) You will get a zillion razor recommendations both vintage and new but if the bride wants to buy you one I would recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89. I've been doing this for a few years and have a heap of razors but always come back to this one. Reasonably priced and the quality of the tool will blow your mind both in the finish and the sheer usability of it. It just seems to suit any blade you throw at it.

http://www.shaverhut.com.au/edwin-jagger-safety-razor-de89-extra-long-lined.html?___SID=U $59.00

Hi Greg and welcome to Paste & Cut. Heaps of great advice can be found here. Enjoy your stay.

I'll join the many welcoming you @Greg!

Yea that's a little extreme for me but it looks like a nice collection. I should ask my old man if he still has his or my grandfathers razors.
Excellent if he does! Not many of us have heirlooms like that and if we do they are worth keeping for passing down. A good razor lasts longer than a lifetime and is well worth sharing with the next generation.

You asked about post-shave and skin care.

You can use an alum block (from an Indian grocer) or witch hazel (from a chemist) as an astringent. But a good aftershave also acts similarly to help tighten the skin. An aftershave balm can give your skin back some moisture.

You don't need anything really after a shave, but it's worth doing something as you've just taken a layer (or two!) of skin from your face. You face needs some moisture and something to soothe it.

Plenty of options and variations for all I've mentioned. You'll get to know them in time.

What about brush what should i look for in one.

What a question. One of our esteemed brush collectors can surely help you :)

It depends mainly on if you want to face or bowl lather your soap/cream as to which is the best brush for you and of course your budget for said brush.

Basically their are three types:
Badger
Boar
Synthetic

You should be looking at knot size, firmness, or floppiness and handle shape and size to see what best suits you and the way you want to shave. All have good a bad points and all vary greatly in price range.

I started with a Omega Boar brush brought from the local markets for $10 and about a $50 badger brush brought from mensbiz. I used both for many months to learn my technique (I mostly face lather, except for some bowl lathering of samples). I now rarely use either of those two initial brushes.

What about brush what should i look for in one.
Synthetic
Natural hair - badger, boar, horse

Synthetics are a good start as they are cheap and reliable. They vary in their feel on the face but do the job well.

Boar (bristle) brushes are solid and cheap. Tend to have more backbone (stiffness) and the tips soften in time. For $10-25 you can get a decent brush that will last a long time. These are the best to not only "cut your teeth", but may end up being your favourite.

Badger has a huge range. I'd avoid buying from the Shavee Shop as their brushes will be overpriced. In fact, you may be best off waiting to learn a bit more before buying a badger. They have differing grades but there is no clear overlap (sometimes) in the industry or between brands. You could spend $80 easily on a brush that you don't like. You can get badger brushes for $50-80, but the good brushes start from $100 (new) and go up quickly from there. You should be able to get a decent second hand brush for under $100.

So my recommendation is to get a solid boar brush ($10-20) and/or a reliable synthetic brush to start with. (An option is the -currently- $50 L'Occitane Plisson synthetic which feels like a $100+ badger.)

You can post a Want to Buy (WTB) or explore the Shaving brush section of this site. You could also post a new thread asking a similar question. It will be easier for people to find and comment.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.