Newbie Muhle R89

Lego

Coming across from an electric shaver, I've enjoyed wet shaving. I picked up a Muhle R89, Astra blades, Cella soap and a cheap Frank boar brush. Post shave, I've got Nivea 2-phase after shave.

I'm happy with my set up except the brush. I'm looking to upgrade the brush to a badger Simpson. Something best badger in the middle range.

Welcome, glad to hear you are enjoying wet shaving, you have come to the right place

Welcome to P&C @Lego (y)

What's your favorite knots size and loft height and do you face or bowl lather a lot

Oh and welcome to P&C @Lego

After researching YouTube I prefer face lathering. As for knot size and loft, I just bought the Frank Shaving bristle brush ($15 - cheapest one available) to get me started.

I find it a bit rough so I guess the Simpson best badger in a Berkeley or Duke might be what I need?

Thanks for the welcomed guys.

@Mark1966 I don't know about a Platypus. I'm set on a Simpson. And looks like I missed on the Simpson chubby that Todras was selling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong - Simpson can make some nice brushes - but I think they are one of the most expensive brands out there...

I could tell you, that the Platypus is one of my absolute favourite brushes, but it might be biased, as I organised the group buy :D

Let me put it this way: 165 AU$ are at the moment ~94GBP - for that price you either get a small Simpson in Super or a decent sized Simpson in Best.

While the knot of the Platypus is not as dense as a Chubby, the actual hair is fantastic 2-band that gets super hooked tips after 10-20 uses - in my humble opinion way better than Simpson Best and Super grades...I have read users comparing it to the Simpson Manchurian range...which starts at ~200GBP for a 23mm Duke 3 and costs 250+GBP for a similar sized knot.

These are of course new prices and if you see a deal on a used brush, things might be different.

Oh @Psmith nightguard's Simpson classic 1 would have been perfect. Just after I posted, friends turned up and I put the phone away. Looks like FS items sure go quickly.

And Alfredus thanks for all that info. I'll look at those too.

Welcome, look at SOC Badger, i swear by it and people in this forum are big fans of anything Smog, me included. Some of the Smog boars are nice to start out on as well. Smog 620, 1350 etc

Welcome, look at SOC Badger, i swear by it and people in this forum are big fans of anything Smog, me included. Some of the Smog boars are nice to start out on as well. Smog 620, 1350 etc

Yep I love all my SOC brushes see below
QjwgxPH.jpg
Ii78SQj.jpg
YN8KgAn.jpg

Wow Speedy, i have all of those as well. You been taking photos of my collection. Add in a 620 face lathering extraordinaire and a 1350 bowl lathering demon and that is awesome.

Wow Speedy, i have all of those as well. You been taking photos of my collection. Add in a 620 face lathering extraordinaire and a 1350 bowl lathering demon and that is awesome.

@Anthony Hunter I don't like 21mm and 22mm knot too small for my face, I like 24mm and 26mm knot because I don't have a small head only an average size head ;)