filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Hey fellas,

What's your favourite Open Comb (OC) razor?
(And why does it stand out for you?)

Never had any luck with them :(

I only have 1, a vintage Gillette new long comb. I like it, but I can't use it everyday, as it eats me up after a while.

I only have 1, a vintage Gillette new long comb. I like it, but I can't use it everyday, as it eats me up after a while.
I just used @stillshunter's NEW LC today. It felt good today so I'll see how it goes as a daily shaver.
Did I really pass up the chance to use yours? [emoji15] Dear me...

Yep.

I just remembered I have a Merkur 1904 open comb too. It's very mild but efficient with a sharp razer, but it too can be a bit harsh daily if you're not careful.

Stillsy must be a Gillette OC afficionado. I took one off his hands a while ago too I think, and it's a mean beast. It cuts through stubble with absolutely no effort when paired with a Super Iridium or Perma-Sharp. It's become my go-to razor for those times when I've built up a bit of growth, mostly because I like the blade gap and the comb is a great length.

I have learned one lesson with OC razors though, and that's to play it safe if you have any existing irritation or razor bump type of things. If you're 100%, it'll cut close, clean and irritation free. If you're not, it'll take the top off whatever is ailing you and that'll have a much better chance of ending up red and sore. Only a problem if you get overly ambitious though, and it's a champion most of the time.

Never had any luck with them :(
After the chance to try the Pureman Prototype and R41, I found myself doubting the virtues of OC's too, until I hesitantly accepted the generous offer from @filobiblic to try his 37c OC slant.
Since then, I've been upon the lookout for a cheap one :)

Stillsy must be a Gillette OC afficionado. I took one off his hands a while ago too I think, and it's a mean beast.
Nice to hear from you @Mong. Great tips as well. [emoji106]

After the chance to try the Pureman Prototype and R41, I found myself doubting the virtues of OC's too, until I hesitantly accepted the generous offer from @filobiblic to try his 37c OC slant.
Since then, I've been upon the lookout for a cheap one :)

I'm pretty sure the 37C has a safety bar, not open comb.

I've 3 or 4 OC's - but my fave one (not including the Muhle R41 as we're still getting to know each other) is an Adams. Essentially it's a rebranded vintage Merkur, as they made them for a bunch of other co's and are easily discerned by the head of the god Mercury on the end of the handle.

It's a very true shaver, simple to use, good feedback on blade angle etc, very hard to cut yourself and it's almost impossible to clog it with hair - which when I'm feeling like shaving my head is a major plus.

Do you prefer slants?

Have tried 2 NEW's and a Red Ring...not smooth enough for me...

The only slant I haven't loved so far is the 37c, had a Hoffritz Travel Slant and 3 RR Slants - all great razors...but only 1 left :(

Have tried 2 NEW's and a Red Ring...not smooth enough for me...

The only slant I haven't loved so far is the 37c, had a Hoffritz Travel Slant and 3 RR Slants - all great razors...but only 1 left :(
What happened? Did you sell them all off but one? I thought you had all your RRSS still...

You need to try the iKon Shavecraft #102. I rate it smoother than the 37c and more efficient than the RRSS. Best of both factors which makes it a top slant razor.

I use one, an ABC, every shave for around the moustache. I think it's the most aggressive OC I've ever used. It was actually designed for different sized 1920s DE blades which were slightly smaller. Because of this it's ideal for getting in to hard to reach areas. The only time I ever see blood it's with this one. The dangers of having a mo I guess.

Mo mo, mo worries !

What happened? Did you sell them all off but one? I thought you had all your RRSS still...

You need to try the iKon Shavecraft #102. I rate it smoother than the 37c and more efficient than the RRSS. Best of both factors which makes it a top slant razor.

No, just had a private sale of the Kiyara and the DLC - the V1 is the best IMO and I never used the other ones - have 3 razors I use and 2 more I will sell...and 1 coming in. That's more than enough...

The Ikon has 2 issues for me: the head is not Stainless, and the seller is...well I am sure you all have heard the stories. Too many good razors out there to throw money at :)

The Ikon has 2 issues for me: the head is not Stainless, and the seller is...well I am sure you all have heard the stories. Too many good razors out there to throw money at :)
Nope. Haven't heard any stories... Please, do tell.

(PS. Hate to break it to you but the RRSS ain't stainless steel either. [emoji6])

Nope. Haven't heard any stories... Please, do tell.

(PS. Hate to break it to you but the RRSS ain't stainless steel either. [emoji6])
Its starts with the fact that you have to read through the fine-print just to realise only the handle is SS and the head is??? ZAMAC??? It doesn't say on his own site...

Its starts with the fact that you have to read through the fine-print just to realise only the handle is SS and the head is??? ZAMAC??? It doesn't say on his own site...
Which models? I know that the Shavecraft line with the #101 and #102 have SS handles and aluminium heads.
It is very poor form indeed to imply certain materials or to not state clearly what the razor is made from.