Paste & Cut Travelling Box #3 - Reviews and Comments

Thanks @Mark1966 . I thought the consistency of the Endymion was considerably different than what I am used to PAA soaps being like. Do you know who made the endymion?

Will check and get back to you ...

Today's review is a mixed bag unfortunately.

Soap: Shaving Shop Online Endymion Prototype. Based upon the excellent result I had with the Casablanca prototype soap I eagerly put a small amoutn of this soap at the bottom of my bowl. I immediately noticed that this soap is a lot softer than the Casablanca. My guess was that both of these soaps were made by Douglas and Fran at PAA but perhaps I am wrong. @SydBJW are you able to shed any light on this? I loaded up my EJ Silvertip badger brush (I noted that the soap transferred to teh brush very quickly) and started face lathering. It may be a case of me not using enough soap but I did not get a great lather from this soap. A piece slightly larger than a thumbnail only barely gave me enough lather for two passes and I had to add more soap for the final pass. The lather itself was slick enough but not as cushiony as I would have liked and therefore did not feel as protective in my opinion. The resulting shave was actually reasonably nice and close but I am going to put that down to solid technique more than the soap helping much. Somewhat of a shame really as I found the scent to be quite pleasant and agreeable. Initially I got quite a lot of nice leathery scent and somewhere mid shave got some citrus notes. I have not tried Penhaligons Endymion but cannot compare. Not sure what other's experience has been with this soap but for me it is quite forgettable. I also note that the soap did not make it to the final selection on Peter Charkalis' site so maybe that is somewhat telling also.

Post: Myrsol Metisol. It was only a few weeks ago when I was ordering some stuff form Gifts and Care that a good friend insisted that I should get some Myrsol Plastic and Emulsion. My first experience was with the Formula C in the travelling box and I was so impressed that I have also ordered a bottle of Formula C and K. Additionally I like the plastic so much that when I saw a glass bottle come up for a good price elsewhere I snatched it up (along with more soaps etc. that I am going to have to try to explain when they arrive). I eagerly splashed a small amount of Metisol after today's shave and although found it to be satisfactory this is not one that I would personally purchase. I felt that the scent was not for me and also thought that it had a bit of a drying effect on the skin. Nothing serious it is just not for me at the moment IMO.

Post: Aesop Moroccan Neroli Post-Shave Lotion. Felt that I needed something to help balance the skin after the Metisol splash so I thought I would try out the Aesop Post Shave. I actually think that this is an extremely good product. I instantly felt that my skin was re-hydrated and their was absolutely no residual tackiness or greasiness. The scent too was extremely pleasant. This would be something that I would add to my den if the price was not as exorbitant. Perhaps I will keep an eye out for a special ;).

Once again another enjoyable day of shaving and new experiences.

I believe that prototype was made by Vanulay (I have never really used a lot of her stuff). The soaps in his store are made by about 10 different soap makers. All are known apart from 1 that the maker wont allow Peter to disclose that the make the soap (don't worry it is a top soap maker).

Do I smell another scandal with 1 soap maker having many aliases and business names :D

I believe that prototype was made by Vanulay (I have never really used a lot of her stuff). The soaps in his store are made by about 10 different soap makers. All are known apart from 1 that the maker wont allow Peter to disclose that the make the soap (don't worry it is a top soap maker).
I take it you know who the mystery soap maker is @SydBJW ;)

Do I smell another scandal with 1 soap maker having many aliases and business names :D

No scandals just a top top soap maker that doesn't want it publically know he makes soap for Peter (thing he makes 4). Different packaging from his usual soap but top quality stuff.

Think he doesn't need the publicity and other chasing him to make soaps for them :)

I think I looked in to it before but can't remember who I thought it was. Now that I have had another look If it is who I think it is @SydBJW I have about 5 of his soaps and I am surprised that I was not impressed by this one.

Great summary reviews @nsavage - thanks for writing your thoughts in each product.

The Travelling Boxes are a heap of fun. Such enablers too!!!

I think I looked in to it before but can't remember who I thought it was. Now that I have had another look If it is who I think it is @SydBJW I have about 5 of his soaps and I am surprised that I was not impressed by this one.
So it turns out that the Endymion Prototype is not made by the mystery maker which is a good thing in my opinion or I would have to wonder what they were thinking on the day they created that prototype soap LOL

Today I grabbed the Wickham Super Smooth Sheridan soap in great anticipation based upon the reviews that I have seen of it. The soap is a strange consistency and is very soft with what can only be described as grains in it. I wont try to explain the scent as it was quite complex but it was very agreeable. As soon as I touched a brush to it I saw a lather start to form and I initially thought that this was not good (Previous personal experience with soaps that lather too quickly is that the lather generally tends to break down reasonably quickly) nevertheless I kept at it and got what looked like a decent lather going. After the first pass I felt the lather was not slick enough so I added a small amount more water and saw a slight improvement. After teh second pass I felt that the lather was still not slick enough and decided to add another small amount of water (about double what I added after the first pass). On the third pass the lather was definitely more slick. Post face feel was outstanding and I was very impressed overall with the soap at this stage. I still had a reasonable amount of lather in the brush and decided to muck around with it and started to palm lather the soap whilst adding water. I added maybe 3 times as much water than I would normally add to a soap overall and all the while the lather was improving and I kept thinking to myself that the next time I added water the soap would break down. This was not the case, I cannot believe how much water this soap took and the end result was absolutely outstanding. I wish I would have known beforehand and shaved with the resulting lather, it was truly fantastic. I know the soap is now discontinued (which is probably a good thing as I am on a spending freeze now) but I will keep an eye out for some in the future as I would love to have a tub in my cupboard.

Followed up with a splash of the Floid Vigoroso. This was my first experience with Floid and I was very impressed as well. not sure if that particular scent is for me but will definitely be adding a bottle of the blue at the very least to my collection in the future.

Another top day with an outstanding shave courtesy of the travelling box :).

This morning was my last shave from the travelling box :(

Lathered up some of the Soap Commander Passion. I already have a soap commander soap so I knew to expect a decent lather from it. The lather could be a little slicker IMO but I would generally load more so that probably contributed. Really enjoyed the scent could definitely smell the woody fragrances and although the scent was reasonably mild it was very pleasant and enjoyable. Finished off with the matching balm from the box and noted that the scent was considerably stronger in the balm but just as enjoyable. Last shave with the 45c and I will miss it. Unfortunately the finance department has put a hold on me getting one for now and I can only hope that the Fine Superlite that is on the way will fill the gap for a while.

The box is all wrapped and ready to go on to @Sxot. Hopefully I can get it on the road tomorrow otherwise I will definitely do so Thursday.

Once again I would like to thank everyone that made this possible. I really enjoyed the opportunity and experience and hope to be able to do it again in the future.

Thanks for the fantastic reviews and glad you had such a great time (y)

Thanks Alfredus - really enjoyed it - hope to be able to spend more time on the reviews next time - unfortunately I am preparing for an exam ATM.

Best of luck with your exam! I thought your reviews were great. Thanks for the time and effort spent writing them. It's certainly a fun experience using the Travelling Box. [emoji106]

Ditto - reviews were great - best of luck with the exam!