Paste & Cut Travelling Box #3 - Reviews and Comments

...and it has arrived. I'm looking forward to trying the Myrsol in particular so glad to see some of that still there. The Merkur bakelite will be tomorrows shave. Unfortunately no SE but regardless, let the fun commence.

70d3b547c593d48a39582b3cdfca661f.jpg

Decided to try a 100% new shave for me... no brushes in the box so the Wee Scot filled that roll. The sample of P160 was very small so seemed the best choice for the job. I did think about scraping the sample out and into a larger container which I presume is okay since I am the last cab off the rank but nah... left it in there. Lather was good, but not what I am used to, mostly in density. Provided good glide though. Let's just blame insufficient loading this time. Scent was too low for me... couldn't detect anything.

Lapas & the Murkur was a SSSSSMMMMMOOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHHH combo! I was in a rush (hence the poor photo) today so went with just two passes; with & against. I couldn't feel the blade at all, giving me a healthy dose of confidence (speed). The result speaks for itself; BBS, minor weeper or two, short lasting minor irritation. Should I made a better lather, and slowed down (less repeat passes) it could have been a near perfect shave. Tomorrow I might put the Ladas aside and try a feather in there and see if the "mild" nature of the shave was the blade, razor or both. I can see myself using this razor for the rare occasion I am seriously pushed for time. Is it really bakelite, or plastic made to look bakelite? I hope it is bona fide bakelite because if a modern plastic it will become a "plastic" razor... not a cool retro one. I quite like the looks and the weight is something else. It's pretty much not there at all. Balance is fine though and for a guy who hasn't used a DE in 6 months there was no learning curve.

Myrsol Formula C post shave. Nice scent, felt nice on the skin but weak/thin leaving me to ask "is this doing anything?" No sting or anything from it either. Need to have a truely bad shave to really test these sorts of products out though. There isn't exactly an extensive ingredients list here so I would buy some. It's not big on post shave soothing, nor scent/cologne either. I'll give it another shot later in the week though.

Floid Vigoroso A/S. Scent here was a disappointment. A little menthol felt good but nothing to report other than that. Probably like the Myrsol, you need a bad shave to see what a post shave product can really do. I have no issues with it though. Again no sting. I did have to add some Stray Whisker After Balm an hour or so later too so no point for moisturising here.

So, in terms of software; ho-hum.
Harware; wow... need to look further into these two!

So... I've had my "all new" shave and it was fun. Tomorrow however I am going back to all my regular products except the Merkur with a feather (which is my go-to blade). That way the new stuff will stand out. Since there is some Shaver Heaven - Forbidden Forest in the box, I'll go with that. I'm fluent in SH, but yet to try FF.

Nice review @Sxot.

Interesting to see how people get different results. As soon as I splashed both the Formula C and the Floid on to my skin I had to have them (and they are subsequently on their way to me LOL).

That Merkur is a fine razor mate. Concentrate on a soft touch and quality lather and it will reward you.

Went with Shavemac 2 band & MWF today. Swapped out the Ladas for a Feather. Finished off with Myrsol & Clubman Bay Rum.

Feather is too much for this razor. It was a fast, two pass BBS shave with minor irritation as yesterday but not nearly as comfortable. I also noticed the blade retention isn't 100% in that it allows the blade to twist slightly. I need to check the blade is parallel with the saftey bar before eash shave. Wish I had some Astra's still, I would try them next as I did like them in the 34c. I'm going to put the Ladas back in... the result really was great, just curious to see how it went when supercharged. I've got a couple of other blades that are new to me, I might throw one of them over the next few days.

So, not as good a shave today... Mysol (different one this time - pink) was still "meh" but loved the Clubman Bay Rum. Left my skin a little dry (although I had skipped my usual pre A/S balm application) but silky and the scent, whilst mild to my nose it still around two hours later. Mrs doesn't like it, but who asked her anyway! Also too the opportunity to menthol up my Witch Hazel... wooh! That's better! Don't need much hey.

Tomorrow I will go back to a straight and try a new soap.

Thanks for your reviews/thoughts @Sxot
I've never tried a Ladas blade (though I have a pack or two around). Should get to try them someday...

I've been away so have stuck with the tried and tested travel kit & SR. Home last night so back into it.

Today was Dr Johns Black, Bakelite Merkur (3), Ladas (2) and Antisol.

I am loving the Antisol and have zero desire to drop money on the other formulations I have tried. The only ingredient difference is the addition of Sorbitol & menthol (fragrance differs too). Now I am up with the difference menthol makes, and a big thanks to whomever put the menthol crystals in the box! I now have super charged Thayers. Sorbitol is a "humectant" in that it is hygroscopic, keeps things moist. Does that make it a moisturiser? Anyway... whatever, it works.

Ladas & Merkur were superb again although one side of the Ladas is pulling. I am wondering if I have damaged it... anyway, I just used the good side for a damn near perfect shave. Dr Johns.. a very good soap, but given the great blade/razor combo it wasn't really tested. Scent is unusual, and not my thing but thankfully is mild too. It can take a lot of water, I just kept adding and adding and adding which was quite fun! Drippy lather fans will enjoy this soap. I can see why many love the Anne Bonny if the formulation is the same with a kick arse Bay Rum Scent. I should try it.

Now, what to try tomorrow....

Last edited:
Last couple of shaves with the box;

Yesterday broke out the Simpsons Cream.
Funny stuff this. It's more soap than cream to me. I loaded it like a cream (into the brush) but I couldn't get it to stay there. It kept flicking out! I couldn't help but wonder if this sample has dried out? Scent was nice, I enjoyed that, and the face feel. Lather was a little lacking but I will blame my poor attempt at loading! Hint of menthol was nice too. I enjoyed it and would consider buying some at the right price.

Today I reached for the Soap Commander - Passion.
I under-loaded this one too! I'm used to SH tubs with heaps of room to move in. I will admit the Chubby might not have been the best choice to load off a small container. The scent here was good, far better than off the soap and it intensified when lathered. Again, good and if the scent was "to die for" I'd buy. Performance seemed fine for the thin lather I ended up with.

So... these two probably need another visit with a proper load. Always a risk with samples. Anyway, I have enjoyed playing around with some new stuff and ordered one product as a result. If it weren't this month I would definitely bought a pack of Ladas blades and the Murker Bakelite off @Mark1966 . I simply loved that combo and whilst I pretty much use a straight 100% of the time, the Bakelite would replace my 34c as backup and "don't have time" razor. The other standout for me was the Myrsol Antesol. Still can't figure why the other Myrsols appear so lack lustre for me but they do. Using Antesol would replace the WH & Balm I have been using post shave.

Send it back to you @Mark1966?

Last couple of shaves with the box;

Funny stuff this. It's more soap than cream to me. I loaded it like a cream (into the brush) but I couldn't get it to stay there. It kept flicking out! I couldn't help but wonder if this sample has dried out? Scent was nice, I enjoyed that, and the face feel. Lather was a little lacking but I will blame my poor attempt at loading! Hint of menthol was nice too. I enjoyed it and would consider buying some at the right price.

Today I reached for the Soap Commander - Passion.
I under-loaded this one too! I'm used to SH tubs with heaps of room to move in. I will admit the Chubby might not have been the best choice to load off a small container. The scent here was good, far better than off the soap and it intensified when lathered. Again, good and if the scent was "to die for" I'd buy. Performance seemed fine for the thin lather I ended up with.

So... these two probably need another visit with a proper load. Always a risk with samples. Anyway, I have enjoyed playing around with some new stuff and ordered one product as a result. If it weren't this month I would definitely bought a pack of Ladas blades and the Murker Bakelite off @Mark1966 . I simply loved that combo and whilst I pretty much use a straight 100% of the time, the Bakelite would replace my 34c as backup and "don't have time" razor. The other standout for me was the Myrsol Antesol. Still can't figure why the other Myrsols appear so lack lustre for me but they do. Using Antesol would replace the WH & Balm I have been using post shave.

Send it back to you @Mark1966?

Great reviews- thanks.

Any other takers or it comes back to me??

Going ...

Some more great thoughts - good to hear @Sxot

I think there's some Simpson's cream (Unscented) available here on the B/S/T from @Nightguard ...?

Going ...

Any other takers?

Seems like nobody else wants it ...

Last call!

Me please.

Sorry mate - I think it is already on its way home. When it arrives I will PM you or you can keep an eye out for the next one ...

Sorry mate - I think it is already on its way home. When it arrives I will PM you or you can keep an eye out for the next one ...

Fair enough. To be honest I just wanted to try the software. There is always next time.

Fair enough. To be honest I just wanted to try the software. There is always next time.

Some excellent software in the next Box. I'll be putting my hand up and there are quite a few soaps that I haven't tried.

Some excellent software in the next Box. I'll be putting my hand up and there are quite a few soaps that I haven't tried.

Me too. Just hope that I see the post in time.

Me too. Just hope that I see the post in time.

Easy - give up a 'real' life and spend all your time here!